Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Length of time cats are in heat for

Length of time cats are in heat for

Hi, I've just joined and have a question for anyone who might know. How long should an 18 month old girl and her 9 month old daughter stay in heat for at a time? They're not in any danger from toms but they've been going for about five days now. I will be getting anti-pregnancy pills in the near future for them, just from one bit of info I thought it should only last 3 or 4 days at a time.

I'm trying to attach a picture of the pair taken this morning (not quite sure how to so here goes ). http://fr.msnusers.com/bhtnbv1mavoas...ec17%20012.jpg

Cat'sPaw,

First of all, Welcome to Pet Talk!!

Cats are generally in heat from 7-14 days.

May I ask WHY your cats aren't spayed?? Just because there are no "toms" in the area, doesn't mean they cannot get out accidentally and get pregnant. Remember, it only takes once. It would be far less expensive and more humane to have your cats spayed than to keep giving them anti-pregnancy pills (the morning after pills for cats).

Not only with your cats be healthier (no Pyometria, no uterine or ovarian cancer) but they will also live long, healthy lives.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Hi moosmum,

Thanks for the welcome, it's much appreciated. There are a couple of reasons Minny and Primmy haven't had their op; they are kept indoors always, they're both small for their age and a bit fragile in their health and it's a question of prioritisation. I'm looking after a lot of cats and it costs a fortune so I'm having to budget for the right time to get them done from their point of view and mine. I got little Primmy's three brothers neutered at the earliest opportunity a couple of months ago. It's a question of doing what one can when one can.

The particular question of length of time for heat was one I was shaky on, so thanks for the information about it lasting for up to a fortnight.

Well, I have to tell you that all my cats (8 of them) are always kept indoors too. However, they are all spayed/neutered. A few months ago my 1 year old Tuxedo, LilEli FELL out of my front window. If it had not been for me neutering him when I did, who knows how many females he could've gotten pregnant. Do not EVER rely on your cats never getting out. Never say never. It CAN happen.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Welcome to Pet Talk! Can't wait to see pics of your kitties.

Just wanted to add that a cat in heat trapped indoors is an annoying one.

My cat went into heat before I could get her spayed and the NOISE!! Oiy! I wasn't able to sleep for a week.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Welcome to Pet Talk. I look forward to seeing photos of your cats. The link isn't up right now.

I agree that females in heat can be hard on their human's nerves and am keeping my fingers crossed you'll be able to get them spayed soon.

Could you tell us a bit more about the fur-kids?
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Welcome to pet talk Cat'sPaw, I hope you like it here, these are very nice people, shucks we are all nice people.

I know about those cats, when they come in heat, it drives you nuts, and seem like they do it quite often until they are bred, think they are bred, or if they are spayed.

Back years ago, a guy told me a way to make them think they had got bred!! I won't go into that, of course, its not long and they are at it again. One day my little toddler granddaughter, seen the cat crouched on the floor, screaming like a bange, and she goes to see what is the matter with that cat??? Well being the little tiny tot she was, she fell on the Kitty, that cat was very happy for awhile. LOL. strange and probably just a coincidence, but true. , I guess you could borrow a toddler grandchild for a while. LOL.

The trouble is that it don't work long enough, Simba came back in heat, in just a little while. So I guess the best and most permanant way to keep it from sounding like your cat is dying is to spay as soon as you are financially able.

I know that feeling, not being able to afford the cost, my Grover was spayed because the best friend I have in the world paid for it. I don't know what I would have done without that good friend, I guess I would still be holding my head and rocking back and forth I suppose. It is quite understandable that you cannot afford to do it right now.

Again I want to give you a very warm welcome to Pet Talk!!

Tray

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Oh,forgot to say if you need any help here at pet talk, I will do what I can, Okay? There is a lot more helpful people here too, and are all willing to help you. Some are really good at signatures, and some good at avatars.

Tray

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Hi, and thanks for the welcomes
    The two girls have calmed down again, for now. Will play the situation by ear for the immediate future, as my "security measures" are solid, they can't get into circulation.

I'm working on building an online photo album at present, using Imagestation, which seems a good option, are there sites better suited that anyone recommends?

Catpaw, Welcome to Pet Talk

We are a friendly bunch here, but you'll get very strong responses to having unspayed cats.

they can't get into circulation
    Mistakes happen and females on heat will keep trying to escape to get to a potential mate. Pregancy will be a LOT more expensive than spaying.
    an 18 month old girl and her 9 month old daughter
    So the oldest cat managed to escape !!!

The biggest danger is cancer, every heat cycle your cats enter will increase the chance of them developing uterine or ovarian cancer. It is essential that they are spayed as soon as possible.

Does anyone have a good link for cheap/free spay clinics in France ?? Ok, It is a bit of a long shot

Please ring every vet clinic and shelter, you'll find one that will do the operation cheap or free.

But I have to ask the question...why do you have these female cats if you can not afford basic care costs, such as spaying ?

What happens if any of your cats need further medical care ? How will you find the money ?
    Last edited by PayItForward; 12-23-2003 at 04:22 PM.

why do you have these female cats if you can not afford basic care costs, such as spaying ?

What happens if any of your cats need further medical care ? How will you find the money ?
    My thoughts exactly!!

I know some people on here might sound a little rude, But they onnly mean for the best. You really should get the kittys fixed. I am sure if you call a local shealter, they can help with the spay, there are far to many strays running around, and we need to try to control what we have in our own homes. If you dont have money to spay them, how do they go to the vet? How often have you taken them to the vet? Please get them spayed....

My Kitties Are Love!

Find out what it means to me!

I know some people on here might sound a little rude
    Cat'sPaw,

First of all, Welcome to Pet Talk!!

Cats are generally in heat from 7-14 days.

May I ask WHY your cats aren't spayed?? Just because there are no "toms" in the area, doesn't mean they cannot get out accidentally and get pregnant. Remember, it only takes once. It would be far less expensive and more humane to have your cats spayed than to keep giving them anti-pregnancy pills (the morning after pills for cats).

Not only with your cats be healthier (no Pyometria, no uterine or ovarian cancer) but they will also live long, healthy lives.

What part of MY post do you believe is rude???

Originally posted by moosmom

What part of MY post do you believe is rude???
    Maybe it's my post that is rude

--------------------------

cutie_chica....

It is really difficult to get a feeling for peoples attitudes when reading a post.

I am very plain spoken and very to the point but this is clarity of feeling not rudeness. I feel this also applies to Moosmom's post.

Neither post contains bad language or name calling or bad attitude. Just plain facts.

In fact you repeat one of my points using double the words

I know you mean well but it really pays to read though your post before submitting. To make sure noone gets the wrong idea.

Ah, let the NEW Cataholic come over here and clear up what I think the problem might be. I don't think cutie_chica meant the true meaning of the word "rude", but, instead, meant something like, "blunt", "direct", "straightforward".

I didn't take the offensive meaning from her use of the word rude that PIF and Moosmom did (course I wasn't the one the term was directed at, either).

As to the unspayed females....I am sure Catspaw gets our meaning....