Thread: [FONT=century gothic]help i have a dog that hates to takes baths[/FONT]

[FONT=century gothic]help i have a dog that hates to takes baths[/FONT]

i have a year old rat terrier that HATES to take baths. i mean HATES to take baths. everytime i put him in the tub he tries to jump out or will fight me. i don't know what to do. i don't want him to hate me. please if you have any suggestions let me know please thanks
    KayKay

R.I.P. my sweet Little bit and itty bit you will be in my heart forever I love you!

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle"
    Winston Churchill

Treats, treats and more treats. While he's in the tub, while you're shampooing him and after he's out. Make sure they're super good treats, too. Something he really likes.

Chester used to HATE a bath. Now all we have to say is bath and he runs to the bathroom and jumps in the tub. Seriously. He LOVES it now. We still always give him a super yummy treat after.

I'd love to see some pics, too!

Kai wasn't a very big fan of baths either but now, he's great. He'll sit patiently while I get every inch of his body washed. Do you have something to tie a leash to in your bathtub (or outside)? Or maybe you can have someone hold him on the leash while you wash. If he isn't allowed to jump out and fight, he'll learn to deal with it sooner or later.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

thank ya'll for the suggestions. and micki76 i will get you some pictures i think millie and chester are so CUTE! i feel in love with them the first time i saw them. its a good thing me dog likes treats well better go try the bath thing and see how that goes thanks
    KayKay

R.I.P. my sweet Little bit and itty bit you will be in my heart forever I love you!

Winston Churchill

A question I have: Does he hate it or is he afraid?

I have one that hates baths and one that is deathly afraid of water.

With Max (the hater) he gets great treats and spoiling after his bath.

With Carly (she's was abused before we got her) she has to be lightly sedated (OK'd by the vet) or she claws us trying to get away. She also gets great treats and spoiling after her bath, but it hasn't helped her get over the fear even after the 4 1/2 years we've had her.

The rest of them have different reactions. Two stand there somewhat resigned and one plays in the water.

im not sure he loves to play in the water outside but when i go to give him a bath he is terrifed he tries to claw and get out but not bad i've got him to were i can calm him down long enough to give him a bath but he shakes like he's afraid before i got him he lived with a my friends step father's father who got him from a purebreed terrier farm but i think the man did something to scare him im not sure but after he gets out of the tub he gets lots of loving and treats so after about 5 minutes he's back to his perky self
    KayKay

Winston Churchill