Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: housing a rabbit outside?

Zander is an outdoor rabbit. Fergus was too. They have been all their lives. Winter is not a problem - where we live, the temperature rarely dips below 10 degrees celcius, and snow is unheard of. In Summer it can get quite hot. The rule we have made is, that if it gets above 32 degrees celcius, we lay out a wet towel for him to lay on, and an ice pack to rest on, and move his hutch to the shade. If it gets above 38 degrees celcius then he comes inside until the heat passes.

I know the objections some of you have with this, but I think your fears for the happiness of the rabbits is, at least in some cases, unfounded.

Zander has a schedule, because since he is such an intelligent rabbit I know he could easily bore. In the morning he has his 'breakfast' of half a bowel of seeds, some strawberries or melon, or perhaps apple, and some fresh hay, which he eats, and then he naps for most of the morning. This is still inside his hutch. He also likes to watch the birds out of the corner of his eyes, who come for the seeds, or gnaw on his woodblock, or graze on the grass in the open section of the hutch.

In the afternoon, Mum lets him out of his hutch. Our backyard is completely enclosed. He knows his way around since he has had this couple of hours playtime since he was a kitten, when we first brought him home. I still remember the first time he and Fergus learned to climb the steps to the backdoor - it was a big moment. I was very proud. Mum is home. She keeps an eye on Zander through the kitchen window. He mostly plays during this time, he has his favourite places to go, and things to do, and likewise Fergus. Like some of you know, Zander does 'laps', jumping in pots, leaping onto the windowsill. He doesn't eat plants, neither he nor Fergus ever were interested in that. Nor does he dig anymore (for a brief period, at the age of about six months, he did go through a digging phase - nothing serious, just potholes in the lawn). If it's a warm day he also likes to hide under the ferns in the back garden, where it's lovely and cool, and stretch out on his belly. People who have rabbits will know what I'm talking about - the complete sprawl. Sometimes he hangs around on the lawn, playing games with the birds, chasing them away.

I know predators is a big concern for a lot of you, but honestly, they're not a problem for us here, and never have been in the eight years I've been keeping guinea pigs and rabbits outdoors. Lilke I've said, the yard is completely enclosed, so dogs aren't an issue. And don't tell me a yard can't be completely dog proof - if you can prevent your dogs from escaping from your yard, can't we prevent dogs from getting in? Cats are different, because they could get in if they wanted, although there mustn't be many around here because I've only ever seen a couple. We're not a cat populated community around here, I guess. Besides which, we spoke to several different vets (since we changed vets when Zander was about ten months old), and all of them said that cats do not pose a predatory threat to rabbits. They're just not big enough to seriously consider something as stocky as a rabbit prey. Guinea pigs, on the other hand, are a different story, and that's why they are in their hutch all the time, unless supervised in their pig-pen.

We interact every single day with Zander. When I get home from school, at about 4:30, he is still outside playing. When he hears the backdoor bang he comes hopping up to the backdoor, and let me pet him, or pick him up if he's not busy on some other project. Then I give him a fruit jelly treat, and play awhile (he likes to dig my shoe laces, and I like to kiss his head). Then I set him down and he goes to play again, but I stay out there, and at various intervals he'll come back and say hello for a pat and a chat. At about 5:30, or later in summer, I fix his hutch for him with fresh straw, water. Then I take the seed box out and rattle it, which he knows is his signal for bedtime, so he goes to his hutch and waits while I pour him his dinner. Then we close his hutch, and that is his day. He has a ramp from the lawn area of his hutch to his actual 'bed'. The bed is completely enclosed, weather proof, predator proof.

I know some of you will and do object to this, but I think that Zander is a happy rabbit, and that he has a good and full life. I am not allowed to have 'house pets' (except for the birds, they are different), that's why I'm not allowed a dog or cat. So if Zander and the guinea pigs weren't housed outdoors I guess they would still be at the RSPCA.

Besides which, we spoke to several different vets (since we changed vets when Zander was about ten months old), and all of them said that cats do not pose a predatory threat to rabbits. They're just not big enough to seriously consider something as stocky as a rabbit prey.
    I'm sorry, but this is not true at all. When my sister had cats, they regularly killed rabbits, and brought them home. She would find her cat guarding a dead rabbit on the porch often. And, even if the cat does not actually kill a rabbit, it can severely injure it with its claws and/or teeth, causing an absess or infection. Also, rabbits have been known to die simply from fright, if they are locked in a cage and a predator is trying to get them. I have seen this happen. If there aren't many cats in your area, that's better ... but please do not think your rabbits are safe from any cat. The fact of the matter is, cats can and do kill and injure rabbits all the time.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I'm happy that the people interact with the rabbit, but the rabbit should not be kept out in the cold, or on the ground.

My dad kept Floppsy in a large wooden hutch outside for a few years, and it took A LOT of knowledge and persuasion to get him to let Floppsy move inside. Like Daisylover said, outdoor rabbits usually get afraid of humans if they do not have a lot of interaction with them like indoor rabbits do. Usually, I would spend a few hours outside with Floppsy, but this just could not happen every day, so naturally when she first came inside, she was petrified. She still sort of is, because she was housed outside for a long period of time, but I work with her A LOT and I think it has gotten wayyy better.
    Mom to Ethan, Sophie and Sansa

I have 2 rabbits and they live outside and no I don't think it's wrong or bad if handled right.

First we live in Florida so cold is not a problem. As for getting to hot, thier cage is built under a huge 200 year old oak tree....it's always nice under there. On those day where we feel it's might get to hot, there is power run to the cage and they have a nice fan system my husband built.

Second their cage is huge about 12 foot by 12 foot with all kinds of different leavells for them including tunnels for them to hide in. It's built on the ground, floored in with a metal bottom so they can't dig out, covered with about a foot of sand/ straw. The sides are also metal so they can't chew on it and get out that way. The roof is half covered, the other half is metal fencing for safety. They have several round windows also covered by metal fencing over screen. The cage is also tall enough so I can get in there with them and play, which I do.

Honstly I think they have it very good compaired to most. I'd love to have them inside full time, but dogs, cats and rabbits just don't mix well. They do come inside sometimes and get lots of love.

Maybe some feel I shouldn't have them if they can't be inside and I respect your views, but I rescued these rabbits and have done the best I can to make sure they are safe, happy and loved. And If you asked them I think they will agree with me, I've giving them a good life.

We do the best we can to make sure ALL our pets are very well taken care of, even if others might not agree with our ways, we know we have done right by them all.

So yes rabbits can live outside if done right and thought out, as long as they get their contact with humans. Left outside just to be caged and feed is wrong.

To be honest I have never ever seen a Rabbit housed indoors in my country, maybe breeders only, reading the posts those of you who do have them housed outdoors, take wonderful care of them, they are indeed spoilt, so I donot think these particular bunnys are being hard done by, they are loved and well provided for.
    As for cats, oh YES they do indeed catch and eat bunny's, we had a wild one in the section once, we went a way for a holiday and my neighbour said she saw a cat catch it and run away with it. they do indeed pose a threat to the safety of your bunny if not housed correctly, there are dog-cat proof fencing material that would be most effective on a hutch.

I can well understand your concerns, maybe a kind word to them regarding this might be appropriate, as Karen said education is the way to go sometimes.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Originally posted by carole
    To be honest I have never ever seen a Rabbit housed indoors in my country
    Me either, actually. It's highly unusual in Australia. I'd never heard of an indoor rabbit before I came to Pettalk.

Twisterdog...I accept what you say, and I appreciate that you express it in such a nice way. But honestly, I've gone over it many times in my own mind and am happy that Zander's safe. Nothing could make me compromise his safety, so you have to believe me when I say that in this area, cats are not going to pose a threat. At the same time, he is always supervised, if not directly.

But thankyou for your concern. And thankyou Fox-Gal too, you write very nicely, far better than I can express what I know to be true.

Originally posted by zanzanfergie
    And thankyou Fox-Gal too, you write very nicely, far better than I can express what I know to be true.
    Not a problem, we outside rabbit owners have to stick toghter.

As long as you know in your heart that your guys are safe happy and loved, that is what counts. Outside can be safe is you do eveything just right and think about the needs of the rabbits.

It's those people that put them is small wooden cages in their back yard only to feed them, not thinking about the needs of the rabbits that piss me off.

Our rabbits home is so nicely built that I move into it, if I had too.

Four of my bunnies live in a 8x6 sized shed in the garden where they are safe and during the winter months they are protected by the frost.

Here is the bunny shed

Cadbury and twinkle looking out of their window