Thread: Cat Facts

Cat Facts

These were in the most recent issue of our Humane Society newsletter and I thought they were interesting. I posted one in Richard's thread, but here are the rest...

Oldest Cat The oldest reliably recorded cat was a female tabby named Ma, who was put to sleep on November 5, 1957 at the age of 34 years.

Fattest Cat The world's fattest cat was a male tabby named Himmey, who weighed a whopping 46 lbs 15.5 oz! He had a 15-in neck, was 38 in. long and had a 33in waist.

Best climber On September 6, 1950, a 4-month old kitten followed a group of climbers to the top of the 14,691 ft Matterhorn in the Alps.

The Prophet Mohammed, the founder of the Molsem religion, loved cats so much that he once cut the sleeve from his robe to avoid disturbing his cat which had gone to sleep in his arms.

Around 450 BC, anyone who killed a cat in Egypt was punished by death. When a cat died, the entire family would shave off their eyebrows as a sign of mourning.

Whew! Can you imagine trying to carry that big fat cat around? I think that would get you in the back for sure.

Now I do hope our kitties all live to be that old, and stay healthy while in the process of getting that old.

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Originally posted by trayi52
    Whew! Can you imagine trying to carry that big fat cat around? I think that would get you in the back for sure.

Now I do hope our kitties all live to be that old, and stay healthy while in the process of getting that old.
    Amen to that, I think they should all live a little longer actually, but such are dreams.

Those are cool facts.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

The Prophet Mohammed, the founder of the Molsem religion, loved cats so much that he once cut the sleeve from his robe to avoid disturbing his cat which had gone to sleep in his arms.

Around 450 BC, anyone who killed a cat in Egypt was punished by death. When a cat died, the entire family would shave off their eyebrows as a sign of mourning
    I didn't notice that before, that is interesting.

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

I had no idea a cat ever lived to that age - wow. And to think I gripe about hauling Ripley's 20 pound butt around.

From Decker with Love

Oldest Cat The oldest reliably recorded cat was a female tabby named Ma, who was put to sleep on November 5, 1957 at the age of 34 years.
    Wow that cat lived a full life. I wish all cats would live that long.

Fattest Cat The world's fattest cat was a male tabby named Himmey, who weighed a whopping 46 lbs 15.5 oz! He had a 15-in neck, was 38 in. long and had a 33in waist.
    Ok that is just a HUGE cat. My brother in laws cat is almost 28 pounds I keep telling him he needs to put his cat on a diet. They have diet food for him now except that free feed him so he eats all day long.

That is kinda funny. That takes dedication to the cat.

Katie

P.S. if you get more of these please post. Very intresting facts.