Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP this dog !!

Good on you, jackiesdaisy, for posting a way to help Casey. I'll resend my email there.

We just sent another round of E-mails to some of the other Polk County officials who have links on the site. We'll see if ANY of them are received and possibly answered?

The two that we sent to deCastro have not been returned (yet), but the one sent return receipt hasn't been read either.

Hope Casey can hang in there till someone notices he/she has a problem.

------------------
    /s/ Cinder & Smokey
    the Rescued & Adopted
    FurKids of *Phred*

I posted on this same topic in the Cat Health section, but I thought I would drop in over here. Thanks for the info on people to email and complain to! I'm sure they're going to be hearing a lot from the people on this board. I hope it helps make a difference in that poor dog's life! Casey should NOT be returned to the original owner, but adopted out into a loving home. What were these older men doing with the dog in the first place? Jeesh!!!

After reading the cross post in the Cats section of this board about Casey, and wanting to do something, I sent a message to that Castro guy at Polk County Animal Services--it came back to me, just as it did for everyone else.

BUT I would also suggest that you send an e-mail message to Jennifer Kelley, the Executive Director of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Lakeland, Polk County, Florida. Her e-mail address is: [email protected]. I sent her a message after I sent one to Castro, asking her to please make sure her organization does everything it can to protect Casey. My message didn't bounce back to me, so at least we know that the address is valid. If you want to see the website of the SPCA of Lakeland, Florida, go to this URL: http://www.lovemyspca.com

Margaret, thank you so much for your information, I have sent an e.mail to the manager of channel 8 t.v. station and I also sent an e.mail to the Executive Director for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Thank you for the address. We must unite to prevent cruelty to all animals, they are the innocents of the world.

Good news ~

Seems the Polk County folks have been getting an earful of suggestions about Casey - read the reply I just received:

From Diane Pannebaker, Jim Keene's secretary (he's the Polk County Manager) [a VIP]

"Mr. Keene is out this week, but he did receive several e-mails concerning
    "Casey" last week. Mr. Keene has been in close contact with the Animal
    Services Director, Eddy deCastro. Until disposition of the criminal case
    which is being handled by the Polk County Sheriff's Office, Casey is being
    held at Animal Services where they will ask the court to award the dog to
    them, to ensure that she gets a safe and happy home. The employees at
    Animal Services are taking exceptional care of Casey as she has touched
    their hearts as well.

If you have any questions, please give me a call or you can Eddy deCastro,
    Animal Services Director at 499-2600."

/s/ Diane Pannebaker
    Jim Keene's secretary

Seems like "Casey" has a lot of good people at Polk County on her side! If you still want to write anybody, try to keep yor comments positive - I don't think the Polk Officials need to be badgered - they seem to already know what's the right thing to do in this case.

This e-mail is the one that did *work* to Ms.
    Pannebaker and Jim Keene in the Manager's Office: [email protected]

Thanks to all who have become involved!!

/s/ Phred, "Dad" to Cinder & Smokey

------------------
    /s/ Cinder & Smokey
    the Rescued & Adopted
    FurKids of *Phred*

I sent Jim Keene a thank you e-mail for trying to help! Thanks Phred, for a correct e-mail address!
    Sue

I also sent a thank you note in regard to their effort in making sure Casey gets to a safe and happy home. Persistance pays off.
    Thanks Phred for getting to the right people.
    Jackie

Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke:
    If you still want to write anybody, try to keep yor comments positive

/s/ Phred, "Dad" to Cinder & Smokey

That's good advice, Phred. There's an old saying, 'You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.'
    And it looks like the animal welfare people looking after Casey should be congratulated.

The Answer I received from Polk County Rescue

The case will go before the court, a judge or a jury depending on what the
    defendant's lawyer requests. We will have to follow the will of the court.
    The case is not as cut and dry and what the paper states. The owner is a
    grown son with children living in a different household. He was not present
    while the incident occurred. The father was babysitting the dog while the
    son moved into a new home. The father was transporting the dog from his
    house to the son's new house while the incident ocurred. The defendants
    also have their alibi which may be credible to a jury. The case is being
    prepared by the sheriff's department, and the state attorney's office will
    prosecute.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 8:55 PM
    To: Eddy [email protected]
    Subject: Casey

To The Board Of Polk County Rescue,

This letter is in regards to Casey, the German Shepard who
    was so abused, that it made me ill, to think that a human would
    do such a thing to an animal. I work at a rescue , and
    I have seen and heard of animal abuse, but this is horrible.

This dog should not be released to his owner. If his owner left
    his friends, relatives or who ever, do this to his pet he is just
    as guilty. DO NOT GIVE CASEY BACK to these deranged people.
    ANIMAL ABUSE-
    The ultimate act of cowardice and mental derangement !

Bonnie

To ALL of "CASEY", the injured Polk County Florida Dog's Friends and Well-Wishers ~

An update relayed to me today from the Very Concerned Polk County Officials who are involved with Casey:

"Casey is doing great, running around inside our medical hospital. Healing very rapidly and is very happy and curious. Her job is to do a pre-sniff all our spay and neuters candidates! ... We [Animal Services] are at present the custodians of the evidence which is Casey the dog. The judge in the case will [determine Casey's release] depending on the outcome of the trial. A custody hearing may be scheduled if he (the judge) deems it necessary." [per Eddy deCastro, Animal Services]

and:
    "The problem with Eddy DeCastro's email address has been resolved. I also noticed that one of the message boards has an incorrect address for Mr. DeCastro. The correct email address is: [email protected]
    Thanks, BERNIE FILIPPI, Webmaster" [Polk County]

and:
    "The link to Mr. deCastro's e-mail address on the Animal Services page was incorrect, but it has now been corrected. Thank you for pointing this out; we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
    /s/ Sara C. Hallett, APR, Public Information Director" [Polk County]

On behalf of all of us on the PetTalk BBS ~
    A sincere **Thank You** to all of the Polk County Officials who have expressed genuine concern for poor Casey and are bending over backwards to insure that Casey recovers and is placed in a proper and loving home.

Please Note: there are many, many legal complications that prevent the Polk County Officials from making further comments to the public or on a public BBS such as this one. I fell absolutely positive that they will act in the best interests of Casey Dog. We must be patient and believe that justice will prevail and Casey will once again be a happy and safe pup.

/s/ Phred, aka "Dad" to Cinder & Smokey

------------------
    /s/ Cinder & Smokey
    the Rescued & Adopted
    FurKids of *Phred*

Thanks, Phred, for all you have done, too!

------------------
    ***Save a life, ADOPT***

[This message has been edited by Sudilar (edited March 28, 2001).]

Thanks a lot Phred for the feedback.
    Gio

You're the BEST Phred! Thank you for all your effort's on Casey's behalf. You certainly know how to put action behind your words. Big pets and head scratchys to you. Maybe Cinder and Smoke will give you some extra krunchies!

Thanks to everybody who took the time to get involved in this one. A few extra prayers for Casey's welfare are going up from our house.