Thread: Hamster health - any good websites?

Hamster health - any good websites?

Hi all. Happy Thanksgiving to America.

This is my first time posting something on Pettalk but I have been an avid follower of the site since being introduced to it in 2001.

I have a big favour to ask all you pet lovers. My little hamster is ill and I want to look up websites that are reliable for help.

I have taken him to the vet for his diarrhoea problem. But am not sure if he is out of the woods as yet. Also his eye seems to have gunk/discharge and I want to know if I should dab it or leave it. The little critter has been thru alot the past 2 weeks Each time I pick him up to pet him and check on his underside, he squirms. I don't blame him, I would too. My heart really aches to see him so uncomfortable (((( Weighed him at the vet's, he is only 80grams.

Biscuit is my 4th syrian hamster (Feb 2003-now). I had 3 other syrians, Pork Ham (1998-2000), Beef Bacon (1998-2001) and Lamb Chops (2001-2002).

Any help is greatly appreciated!Thanks !! )))

It's ok. I came home from work to find Biscuit had already passed on. He was a great companion and I miss him lots. I still cannot comprehend that he is dead esp since he seemed to be recovering after a traumatic week of battling diarrhoea.

Anyone know any good websites for grief counselling for pet owners instead :'-((((

Thanks

I'm sorry about your hammy.

This a great poem to all grieving pet owners.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. Its never easy to lose a beloved pet. May you find comfort as time passes.

Welcome to PT btw, and if you do have other pets, be sure to tell us about them!

Hi GoldenRetrLuver. Thanks for the poem. I have read it before but each time I re-read it, I cry all over again!!! (((

So you love Golden Retrievers. I like them too. Got to pet a few at a friend's condo. Those GR were so lovely.

Do you watch "Sue Thomas F B I Eye", the show abt the hearing impaired FBI agent with a beautiful golden retriever. Love the show and love that dog!!!!!

Hi popcornbird.

Thanks for the welcome and comforting message. I will not be getting another pet so soon. Work is getting busy now. I want to be there to watch the new hamster settle in

Also they grow so fast in the first few weeks that I want to be there to pet their little heads and tickle their tiny paws

your hamsters probs might be a caused by her bedding, what is she housed in??? she might have a common disease that most hamsters get called "wettail" that is when the stools are really wet and the hamster usually dies after being diegnosed. sending thoughts your way
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Hi tikeyas_mom

Thanks for the reply. I used normal pinewood shavings for all the hamsters. I think with Biscuit, I may have changed his diet too rapidly (per the vet) I had eased him into a new diet but I ran out of new diet's food. So bought a small box of his former diet with a new pet shop. I also suspect that this new petshop sells old stock or something. Most of the petshops' food do not come with expiry dates.

For all the hammies I had that suffered wet tail, even if they do seem to recover the rapid descent to death is very sudden. Pains my heart esp since I keep thinking I have nursed them back to health. From info in books/the net, wet tail is usually fatal and untreatable. Sigh!!!

Saw your signature. Fan of Lord of the rings movie and/or book?

pine isnt a good bedding to use, it can cause gunky eyes and bladder probs, not to mention respitory probs!!. Yes I love lord of the rings. It is my favorite movie . my rats are named Merry and Pippin
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven