Thread: How long before you keep a stray?

How long before you keep a stray?

We had a puppy show up cold and hungry at our doorstep last week. My mom has been fostering her since then. We have put up found dog flyers, scoured the neighborhoods for lost dog signs, given our information to the pound and talked to neighbors in the hopes of finding the dogs original owners.

My question is, if we cannot find her owners within a week is it reasonable to keep this pup as our own? She is very sweet!

Some newspapers will put a "found" ad in their classified section for free. You might want to consider that option. Don't include all the identifying details, however, as you want to be sure that a person who calls is the one who actually lost the pup.

That's a really good question you've asked. How long you have to search for the owner before you can call the dog your own, would depend on the local laws re dogs. The dog refuges & shelters in your area would have to obey these laws so they would know how long they have to hold a dog before offering it for rehoming. So I'd ask the question of the best managed dog refuge in your area. It would be a good idea to speak to these local dog refuges about your found puppy in case the original owners have been contacting them to see if their puppy has been handed in . But tell the refuge you're happy to continue fostering the puppy until it can become your own...when the required time has passed.
    What good people you & your mom are to take such care of this puppy. I hope you keep telling us all about it...like what name you give it (if you get to keep it) & what it looks like & what it likes to do.

I think its ok to keep the dog. Only if the original owner calls then you have to be able to give the dog away!

Well our little mutt puppy is still with us and we haven't been able to find hide nor hair of her original owners. We have tried everything that we can think of to locate them as we can't imagine anyone would not want this sweetie back. Even posted an ad in the paper.

Anyhow,going into week 3 we have started to call her Sophie. She is a Chow mix and absolutely adorable. She is very sweet and loves anyone and any dog or cat. She plays with my Tide and my moms Boots and they have a great time. She has only had one accident inside and she is even learning to come and fetch.

We are waiting a bit longer and if no one claims her then my mom has decided to keep her!!

Still no word from the owner and next week we will have had Sophie an entire month! I guess that this bundle of fur may just have found a new home!

Sounds like she's yours for life, Buckwild. Lucky for Sophie and for you! And too bad for the previous owners. I do think you would have seen some sign of them by now if they cared to find her.

Congratulations on your new addition!!!

Hey Sophie ~ it's me, Smokey the Stray ~

Ask yer Two-Leggers what they're waiting for - you want a Home an they wanna Dog - simple adoption cemented wiffa Tail Wag anna Pat onna Head. It took me a whole 18 hours from found onna porch to sleepin inna bunkroom wiff Dad an Cinders! Nudder 12 hours an I wuz onna way to the White Coat's place to get my puppie-makers taken off and collect sum ouwee shots. Talk about a quick 'doption!

Course I wuz sorta a hardship case - it wuz reel obvious to Dad that I wuz a throw away that had been purdy badly smacked around and wuz soooo hongrey I never eben asked what brand the Krunchies were! I wuz reel skairt of Dad at furst - I'd only stick with Cinders and go up to Dad if she went furst. But Dad knowed that out where we live inna suburb / boonies when a lil doggie shows up onna porch wiff all his rib an back bones pokin through his grubby coat that it usually means he got pushed outa a car down the road in fronta the woods. Sure am glad that Dad, Cinners, and eben Boots the Kat decided to like my sorry liddel butt !

So Sophie ~ keep waggin your tailbones for all you're able, pass out kissy-smooches like they were kandy, and be reel careful where ya pee. It'll only be a liddel while afore they hang a license plate on yer koller that sez you live inna bighouse wiff yer new Hoomins.

Been there, dun that! /s/ Smokey

------------------
    /s/ Cinder & Smokey
    the Rescued & Adopted
    FurKids of *Phred*

Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke:
    Hey Sophie ~ it's me, Smokey the Stray ~
    Been there, dun that! /s/ Smokey

Sophie, you couldn't get better advice than what Smokey said...sort of like right from the horse's mouth, except he's a dog. I think your name is lovely. Tide will make a wonderful best friend & you will have the best family ever. Stay, girl!