Thread: Save A Sato

Save A Sato

Our local no-kill shelter has a very interesting program. It is called Save a Sato. A Sato is a homeless dog in Puero Rico. This is what the shelter says about it:

"As of May 14, 1999 the Animal Shelter Inc. of Sterling, MA has started a joint venture with the animal rescue volunteers of Puerto Rico to save hundreds of homeless, starved, poisoned and tortured animals. These volunteers in Puerto Rico (at their own cost) take these animals known as Satos (mixed breed street dogs) off the cruel streets and care for them, love them, rehabilitate them, vaccinate them, medicate them, and finally say goodbye to them. These dogs are then flown on a direct American Airlines flight to Boston's Logan airport. At the airport they are picked up by the shelters' managers and brought back to the shelter. Here at the shelter they are bathed, re-vaccinated, spayed or neutered, vet checked and found loving homes!

The sad reality of what these animals suffer through on a daily basis is documented on their website:
    www.saveasato.org

Many people ask us why we take animals from Puerto Rico when there are so many animals here in our community that need help. The answer is simple:

A large majority of people calling the shelter are looking to adopt small dogs, or puppies that will grow to be a small dog.

99% of all litters of puppies we receive at the shelter are medium to large to extra large dogs. Though there are a huge amount of adopters looking for THESE pups, it is also a losing situation for the customers desperately looking for a small/toy sized pup.

This practically forces the adopting family into a petstore to buy a small breed pup. (Its all in the laws of supply and demand).

By rescuing the small dogs from Puerto Rico, we are helping to find a home for these wonderful dogs and helping to keep the customers out of the petstores (and that's one less dog being PURCHASED from a puppy mill).

This is a win/win situation for the dogs of Puerto Rico. The adopting family pays one-fifth the cost of a puppy mill puppy from the petstore. The animal is already spayed or neutered, vaccinated and vet checked."

I would recommend looking at their page. The things those poro Satos have to go through is just horrible!!! I am so happy when I see a new batch of them on the "Available for Adoption" page on the shetler's page. They are really cute and get adopted quickly. Just look at one of their newest arrivals! Her name is Holly and she is one year old!

I am in love

Here is another thing published on the shelter page. It is titled "The Sato Story."

"I was abandoned in the streets of Puerto Rico, where I was born. I have wandered the streets looking for food, water, shelter and love, but I found none. Everywhere I went people mistreated, abused and pushed me aside. I have survived on mere scraps and on anything that had a slight smell of food.

One day I met a lovely person that took pity on me and rescued me from my miserable life on the streets. They were loving towards me and took me to a wonderful place, where I am cared for a bunch of lovely people, who feed me great food and gave us plenty of attention. They showed me how to be loved again. I was rehabilitated, vaccinated, and medicated and then quarantined and the only thing I didn't like was my weekly baths!

These nice people kept telling me I was very lucky because I was going to a wonderful place called the "Animal Shelter in Sterling Massachusetts". This is where I was going to find a wonderful new home, and that my life in Puerto Rico would only be an occasional nightmare I might dream of every once in awhile. I have waited patiently, and at last I'm on my way!

I am a very sweet dog in spite of all that I have suffered. If you give me a chance you will not be sorry! I will be a very faithful pet and will give you lots of love. I might be a little shy, only because of what I have suffered through all the days of my short life, but with love and understanding, will be your best friend."

Well I certainly have rambled enough! I just wanted to share a wonderful program with you all! Thanks for reading.

[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: Daisy's Mom ]

Thanks for the story!

I've heard about the Puerto Rican dawgies before...it's so sad. I'm glad the shelter is trying so hard to help them out!

That picture of Millie is absolutely HAUNTING! Poor, poor baby! I was in tears reading about her!

Holly is adorable!!! Does Daisy need a sis?!

[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: zippy-kat ]

What a wonderful rescue program!!!!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

That is a wonderful program, I do notice the dogs in the shelters here are mostly very big dogs and the little ones go quickly, it's too bad, some of the big dogs look so gentle and sweet. Holly is adorable, look at those eyes, I bet if your mother would let you Daisy would have a new sister in a flash.
    Jackie

Thanks for responding; I thought I got so long-winded no one would read it Hehe. I just have too much to say when it comes to animals!

This no-kill shelter is really great. The smaller dogs do get adopted faster than the big ones, but they all get adopted in time too. I have never seen any dog there for more than six months. The shelter is very successful, and I can't wait until I am old enough to volunteer there. I have a feeling I will end up with a lot of dogs when I start

As for sweet Holly... yeah, I think Daisy needs a little sister... you don't have to convince me! It's Mom you have to talk to, and I think that's a lost cause Trust me, I've tried

I have met two people just recently who have adopted Sato dogs! The program is very special, and so are these sweet, sweet dogs! According to an article I read recently, hese "street" dogs are thought to have been bred back to the genetic characteristics of what is thought to be the "original" dog; that is in physical characteristics!! Most that I have met or heard about, are of medium build and weight, short haired with a lab type look (only smaller) and very, very sweet and gentle. I am sure though that these homeless ones encompass many sizes and types. I would highly recommend anyone looking for a beautiful, needy dog to adopt to check the site. And thanks Bridget for letting us all know about the program!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~