Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIDS: VH1 said:

AIDS: VH1 said:

Not the best news source, but it was actually a PSA. On VH-1 this morning while I was at the gym they had a PSA that said that AIDS was now the NUMBER ONE killer of African Americans between the ages of 25-44.

If that statistic is true, and sadly I don't doubt it, then it's further evidence that we're still doing a mighty poor job of handling this epidemic.
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

Look at the AIDS epidemic in Africa. It makes the problem here almost insignificant. Do they give any reason why it's higher in African Americans than in other ethnic groups?

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Indeed Mugs. My dearest friend did 4 years in the Peace Corp in Central Africa as and AIDS educator.

The PSA didn't say what the contributing factors were for African Americans. I suppose one could extrapolate and suggest poverty and access to education and services....

It's ridiculous that its been 20 years since this entered mainstream consciousness and we're in no better position.
    -babolaypo

-Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

Now...here's a question. Are we no better off because there isn't sufficient education or are we no better off because people are stupid and don't use the proper precautions or just abstain all together?

At least in Africa it's a cultural thing that is going to take forever to break the chain, here there doesn't seem to be an excuse.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Originally posted by mugsy
    Now...here's a question. Are we no better off because there isn't sufficient education or are we no better off because people are stupid and don't use the proper precautions or just abstain all together?

At least in Africa it's a cultural thing that is going to take forever to break the chain, here there doesn't seem to be an excuse.
    Signs point to stupid...

It will never happen to me.

(They) didn't look sick.

Only Gays get AIDS.

I'm not black, Haitian, a IV drug user or Gay.

Pick one.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems so sad, most cases could have been prevented by a simple cheap method: A condom! : (

----<---<--<{(@

Strange trend....

That is a rather suprising trend ... do African Americans fall in the lower socio-economic groups who are normally afflicted by things like this? I thought that many of them were quite affluent in this enlightened "day and age."

Then again, neither common sense nor stupidity know colour

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.

African Americans are not the only minority that has greatly increased rates of HIV transmission. Many American Indian tribes are also suffering at a rate higher than African Americans.

There are many reasons for the rates, some of which are cultural norms (i.e. a strong taboo against openly discussing birth control). Some of these are also societial. At a population level there is a greater percentage of African Americans in jail or addicted to drugs, than the general population. Both of these are places and methods that provide for very effective transmission of HIV.

In Moldova the highest rate of infection group of risk are drug addicts - use of needles.

I've seen a documentary on a Romanian tv channel - people had no idea that you can actually get it having a manicure or pedicure done, they had no idea that you can get it from the dentist or other medical instruments. It's not only about sex and about condoms, condoms can break too.

There are a lot of barriers to controlling AIDS. As with any STD, there are those taboos. It's also blood borne. It mutates. It's slow to manifest itself once one is infected.

There has been a lot accomplished, but there is a lot more to do. In South AFrica it's only been recently that the government accepted that the HIV virus causes AIDS.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

This is a subject I don't know a lot about. I heard part of a NPR discussion where the expert said the epidemic was spiraling out of control. But the only numbers I caught were 3000 deaths, 5000 new cases last year, and I don't know if that was worldwide or just the US.

Does anyone have the UN statistics?

HIV is a virus, in the same class as ebola, which attacks and replicates in white blood cells.

AIDS is a syndrome, where people die of secondary infection (usually pneumonia) because their bodies can't fight infections.

There are millions of people whose HIV infections are being controlled by treatment, millions more who need treatment. None of these have AIDS, but all could develop it.

I haven't heard anything about different strains of HIV (mutations). Also haven't heard of any vaccine that eliminates it.

Incidently, if you don't know whether you have HIV, participate in a blood drive or visit you local blood bank any time. They will take your donation, and since they test all blood now you will receive a copy of the results for free.
    Last edited by mahayana; 11-28-2003 at 07:08 AM.

Last night CNN reported that there are no 15 MILLION AIDS orphans in Africa and that there will be millions more becuase there are more people living with AIDS in Africa than have died. My God. It's obscene how little progress we have made on this disease.

One of my side jobs for years was AIDS education in schools. It frightened me how little most students really understood about HIV infection. (Most adults too).

Any dept of health public health office will test you for free, anonymously. If you are afraid to be tested in public WAlgreens and other pharmacies sell an at home saliva test that is very accurate. You take the test. Send in the swab and then call a number in 10 days. It's very private.

I disagree about using the bloodbank for an HIV test. The National Blood Service specifically requests that you not use blood donation as a means of getting tested.
    https://secure.blood.co.uk/c11_cant.asp
    Last edited by babolaypo65; 11-28-2003 at 09:23 AM.
    -babolaypo

-Sri Yogananda

-Ursula Leguin

HIV does mutate. My company makes one of the AIDS medicines, and has another ready for a new drug application. The older drugs (AZT, etc.) no longer work for many people, because the virus mutates to become resistant. This also makes it wicked difficult to make a vaccine.

HIV hides in immune system cells; that's why it's hard to completely eradicate. The next generation meds target these so called B-cells, breaks them open and kills the bug. (No, I don't understand how the molecule knows that a particular B cell is infected.)
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

That is weird about the National Blood Service. Guess they don't want people who think they might be infected to visit them. I was just suggesting for people to go donate a pint (which I encourage everyone to do anyway, have for years).

One of the things you get besides knowing you are helping people who need blood, and a cookie, is this information.

They really do test every donation, for HIV and other things like hepatitis. And they will contact you if there is a problem.

I read the link. You have to fill out similar forms before you give blood.

So I agree. If you think you are at risk of having HIV, don't go to the blood bank. Buy a test or go to Public Health.
    Last edited by mahayana; 11-28-2003 at 10:52 AM.