Thread: Ten Commandments

Ten Commandments

I guess this goes for all pets, but I chose to put it here. I haven't read all the threads, so I hope I'm not repeating this. It was shared with me by a friend.

TEN COMMANDMENTS OF ANIMAL GUARDIANSHIP

1. When you adopt me my life is likely to last only 15 to 20 years. Please don't forsake me, any separation from you is painful.

2. Please give me time to understand what it is you want from me. Change can be more difficult for me than for you.

3. Please don't be angry with me for a long time, and don't lock me up alone as punishment. You have your human family, your friends, your entertainment and I ONLY HAVE YOU!!!

4. Please trust me and help me to trust you . . . it is crucial for mine as well as your well being.

5. Talk to me . . . even if you think I don't understand your words I understand your voice and love when you speak to me and stroke me.

6. Before you hit me remember that I have teeth and claws and could easily hurt you but I choose not to bite and scratch you because I love you.

7. Be aware, that however you treat me, I WILL NEVER FORGET!!!

8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative or bad, ask yourself if maybe something is wrong and their is another reason for my behavior. Perhaps I am sick, hot, old or just plain tired, frustrated and weak. PLEASE TRY TO UNDERSTAND WHAT IT IS LIKE TO BE ME AND PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE.

9. Please take care of me when I get old and don't abandon me, for you too will grow old. Please notice when I am ill because I need you to take me to the vet for help when I am ill just as you need to see a doctor.

10. Go with me on the most difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch" or "Do it when I leave" because I need you with me even at the end of my journeys. Please always do what is best for me even if it is unbearable for you to do so because I love you and trust that you will.

I read this once before and it's worth reading again; and again. I think need to go hug my "kids!" Thanks for sharing this with us!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Oh, I wish that everyone would follow those 10 Commandments. Wouldn't it be wonderful? There is nothing that we can do though.You are a good person for trying to get the word out though. I respect you for that. It was a great thing to post. Thank you for reminding me exactly how well an animal needs me. I am going to go play with my kids.

Thank you for posting this--it is wonderful.

Number 8 is especially relevant to us right now, because Abbey is suffering with a bladder infection and is having a few accidents in the house. Obviously, she does not get scolded when she does it, and I am glad that I love her so much and am so committed to her that I realize that she may be ill, not just trying to make me angry by doing it.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada