Thread: Maine Coon Behavior

Maine Coon Behavior

Hi Everyone,

We are new to this forum partly because of a tragedy that has occurred. We lost our beloved "Henry" cat this week to a car. He was a stray and came to use 3 years ago. Here is a photo:

Henry was our pal and to our knowledge there are none other like him. Here are some of the things he did. He was an indoor / outdoor cat.

He made different noise depending on what he wanted.
    Loud meow to be fed or let out.
    Quiet squeek if he wanted attention. Almost sounded like a meow that he couldn't quite get out.
    We taught him to make a "purring meow" before we fed him. I think Maine Coon breeders call this a chirp???
    He followed you all over the house and waited outside the bathroom door for you
    When he wanted attention, he would not leave you alone.
    Very friendly to strangers.
    Would roll over like a dog to have his belly scratched.

Now here's my question, are all Maine Coon cats like this? We are not sure if Henry was a pure bred Maine Coon since he came to us. Maybe an expert here can tell.

We are devastated by his loss and want to find another friend, not to replace Henry but to help us move on.

Thanks,

Mike and Kristyn

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Mikey, welcome to PT. I wish the circumstances bringing you to this forum were happier. I'm so sorry for your loss of your beloved Henry.

All the characteristics you listed remind me of my Mishi, who is a Maine Coon. Quirky, affectionate, water loving, very talkative. My Mishi comes out with some pretty funny sounds - sometimes it sounds like he's muttering under his breath when he isn't getting what he wants. He's also very friendly to strangers, although he doesn't particularly care to have his belly rubbed - he'll tolerate it, because I think he knows I love to smooch his fluffy tummy, but it's not his favorite thing. His favorite? Supervising me in the bathroom, trying to get at the water taps, licking his "sister" Mitzi, keeping himself fastidiously clean and waving his GORGEOUS fluffy tail - it's always carried straight up high and it's VERY fluffy and long.

Joining PT helped me heal when I lost my Goldie from liver cancer earlier this year and has helped me with the introduction of my new two.

Good luck in your quest to find a new Maine Coon to keep you company. Try the Petfinder website - that's how I found my two. And keep us posted on your progress.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Thank you Red. I never really like cats until Henry came into my life. He got into my heart in a big way. He was very very independant and I admired that. Unfortunately, I was the one to find him and that vision will haunt me for the rest of my life. I'm glad my daughter (13) was sheltered from that part. I had never encountered a cat like Henry before. Most of my friends who had cats, they always seem liked they were stuck up and didn't want you there. Not Henry. He loved companionship and always wanted to be where we were. Sometimes he wouldn't leave me alone until I held him and talked to him.

I've heard that his behavior is fairly common to the breed and that's why we are looking for another companion. Not to replace him but to fill a void in our lives and to keep his memory alive.

Yes, we are all very hurt by this and no one can say much to help but thanks for the reply.

First, Mike and Kristyn, welcome to PT.

Next I am so sorry to hear that you lost your beloved kitty Henry. Regardless of if he was an MC or not he sounded like a very great kitty. I wish your reasons for comming were under happier circumstances, but we are still glad to have you join.

He definitely sounds like an MC, with all of his attributes that you listed. He also looks like an MC. So if he was not full, I would say that he is almost certainly a mix. We have have a breeder of MCs that may be able to give a better educated opinion. Hopefully she will see this and weigh in.

I have a kitty that looks pretty close the Henry. Hi name is Bob, and here is his picture.

I agree that Pet Finder would be a great place to start looking. There are also pure breed resuces that you may want to talk to if you are interested in an MC specifically.

There is also a rescue org that one of the members works at, and I think it would be in your area. Her user name is jenluckenbach and she is great, and I am sure she would be willing to give you some suggestion on where to look at the very least.

Well that is about it. Please feel free to ask any questions and I am sure that someone here will have an answer. We have some very knowledgeable people here. Once again glad to have you join us.
    Last edited by CatDad; 11-23-2003 at 07:08 PM.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

Welcome to PT Mike and Kristyn

I'm so sorry you lost Henry. RIP

I would go and meet Jen's fosters. She has some beautiful cats ready for adoption esp Annie .
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...threadid=38529

Or look at Pet|Finder website.

My baby Tigs loves water and is very vocal and yet is a basic (lovable) tabby cat.

I would suggest you just wait and see which cat decides to come home with you.

Henry was a beautiful kitty and I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he is going to be really missed.
    You will never find another Henry but there are so many wonderful kitties out there that need a loving home. I'm sure that just like Henry there is the one that will manage to steal its way into your heart and become a wonderful member of the family. All of us who have lost a special kitty know that you can't replace or forget them, but a new face in the house helps to ease the pain.

Welcome to PT and good luck with your search! Get ready because when that special kitty comes along we will be demanding pictures!!!

Welcome to Pet Talk. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Henry sure was gorgeous and sounded like he was a sweetheart too. He sure looks like he was a Maine Coon or a Maine Coon mix.

There are many cats that need homes and that are very loving and affectionate as well. I'm owned by 4 male cats and each one is very different but they're very loving in their own way. Storm is a Maine Coon mix, Sunny is an Aby mix, Sky is a Siamese mix, and Cirrus looks like a Bengal/Occicat mix.

Good luck with your search and please keep us updated. I'm sure the right cat will come along soon.

I am sorry for the loss of your furbaby. Such a sad way to loose you furry loved one. I know how it is not having your furbaby around. Henry looks just like my Mason. His picture is below. If you are looking for a Maine Coon there is a breeder list for retired cats and kittens, you could check it out. They are from all over. If you were near me I have a litter due Mid Dec and mid Jan. If you e-mail me I will send the sites to you. Good luck in your search you will find what you want, a look-a-like, a purebreed, young, older, ect. If you want any info in the breed let me know I will try to help you all I can. But please promise me one thing that what ever type of cat you get it will be an indoor kitty.
    Sincerely,
    Stella
    Attached Images Attached Images