Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Cinder wants to keep the Stray she "found"...

Cinder wants to keep the Stray she "found"...

Hi all; it's me, Cinder Dog...

Sunday night I heard a *bump* on the porch while Dad was watching the TV box with his eyes closed and makin' those noises with his nose. Boots the Kat jumped up and looked out the window and told me to get Dad up - there was something on the porch. Well let me tell you; the hollerin' I did really got Dad cranked up in a hurry! Thought he was gonna' rip the door off the hinges.

Anyway, I rushed out to find a strange doggie on the porch, which I proceeded to check out. Dad saw the other dog and started hollerin' at me to get back in the house. Of course this panicked the doggie and resulted in me being inside and Dad outside, with the sought after doggie long gone. Dad supplied multiple dog biskits to the porch, all of which were eaten by the little seen visitor. The idea finally dawned on Dad to turn the project over to me. Took all of two minutes and I'd made friends, checked him out, and we'd done a few laps around the house. Dad called me in for a report.

He's a He (with a lot more stuff underneath than the guy dogs that live at the horse ranch have), hungry, cold, tired, and not wearing any collar or jewelry. Dad called the horse people, but the horse guy said their dogs were at home and that he'd seen the visitor in the morning. I said we should invite him in, but he wouldn't come when Dad called. Big bowl of dog krunchies on the porch caught his attention, though. After that, a few biskits and me running in and out of the door changed his mind and he crawled inside.

I made him feel right at home; we ran laps around the living room till we were both ready to drop. Dad finally got hold of him and he lay down for an inspection. Dad looked at his tummy and said "Uh, oh; he needs fixed." Gosh, I looked and he didn't seem busted, he's just got more parts than the other guys have. Dad said he was kinda young 'cause his teeth are real white and sharp, but he's awful skinny with all his ribs and backbone showing. He drank so much water that Dad booted him back outside, but fixed him up with a rug and some old bluejeans for a bed and another bowl of krunchies.

I went out this morning and invited him inside while Dad got ready for work. Kat even came down on the floor and hissed at him a couple times, but they acted real cool and nobody got all ruffled up. Dad put another bowl of crunchies in Arrow's old outside guardhouse and we left him in charge while Dad and I went to work.

Dad called the county dog jail to file a *found* report, but the jailer said nobody was lookin' for a dog like Stray. I told Dad I want to keep him, but Dad called a buddy that said he wanted a dog and then called my Vet Doctor to see how much it would cost to *fix* Stray. Dad wasn't too happy after he talked to the Doc's office lady.

I'm gettin' pretty anxious to get home and make sure Stray is OK. Hope Dad'll let him inside again tonight. Wish me luck findin' Stray a new home.

/s/ Cinder, the lil' Shepherd

Cinder, you are such a sweetheart. Ever since the first time I "met" you on this board, I knew you had a heart of gold. And you take such good care of the your Dad too. I know he is a piece of work, but you put up with him never the less, right? He probably won't admit it but with all them biskits and krunchies he's been putting out for Stray, it seems like he might not be too hard of a nut to crack.

But Cinder, if you think you need some help convincing Dad you would like to have a sibling, let us know and we will all gang up on the old fella!

Cinder Dog, you & your dear old Dad light up the hearts of dog lovers everywhere...even Down Under. Dogs are great judges of character & I think your Stray must be of supreme court standard in that compartment. He must have followed some special scent that led him to the kindest hearts in the district. Even Boots the Kat has kindness behind the hissing noises.
    Best of all, Stray really knows how to play good doggy games with you, Cinder. You've found a second best friend. Of course, your dear old Dad will always be your first best friend...and aren't you lucky.
    Will you keep telling us about Stray, please?

Cinder Dog!! Don't give up!! I agree with the others that with a little time and paw-twisting, Dad will come around. I think Dad's needing to ease into this one. (A coy but transparent move!!) But you perservere, beautiful Cinder! I think Stray is slowly but surely capturing his heart. Stray knows a good soul and kind heart when he smells one! Keep being the good, loyal doggie pal to Stray, and if need be, plead, whine and beg. You know, act cute and needy. I think that will help. Tell Stray to do the same. Please write us soon and let us know of your progress. Hope you can sneak him in tonight! Love you Cinder! You are THE BEST!!!! P.S. I think there's potential book material in this story!!

[This message has been edited by tatsxxx11 (edited January 23, 2001).]

Toosday update from Cinder...

The Stray was waiting on our front porch when we got home. We invited him in and he came right into the garage and basement. Going up the stairs was a problem - took hin 15 minutes before he finally dashed up. We both got dinner - his was sucked up before I swallowd my second bite!

Then Patty from Angels for Animals (the local no-kill shelter) called and said they would help with a low cost neuter if we'd foster the kid till he found a home. Costs us $90 for a heart worm test, the parts removal, worming, vaccinations, rabies, and 6 months of heart worm tablets. Dad asked what the catch was. Then he said OK.

Dad decided to keep him inside, cause he'll have to stay inside after the operation, and it was time to see how he'd react to *captivity*. We got sent out LOTS of times to pee & poddy. Then Dad fitted him with an old collar and practiced walkin' him around the house on a leash. I think I do a little better, but he wasn't bad for a first timer. Next adventure was bed time. Stray got my time out chain in the basement; whimpering, whining, howling and barking only lasted 90 minutes. Dad just lay in bed grinding his teeth.

Stray's wake up time came an hour before Dad was ready, so we listened to a melody of whines and whimpers till alarm time. Dad was happy that there were no puddles or piles in the basement, and no accidents getting out the door.

Stray was a little fearful of the car, but after he got in he seemed to really like the ride to the shop. I showed him around our shop, and then we played tag for about two hours (about 10 minutes past Dad's tolerance point). We had a minor squabble about who got to lay on *MY* rug under the 'puter, but other than that the day has been kinda quiet. Only problem so far is after two bowls of krunchies, the kid has yet to do a poddy. Dad has marched him around the shop so many times they're wearing a path in the grass.

So, Stray has just eaten his last meal at the shop and we're off to Angels at 4:45. He has to spent the night with them, and then they take him to the Doc's place in the morning. We get him back at 6 tomorrow night. Sure hope he won't miss the extra parts they're gonna keep.

Nite, all. /s/ Cinder

Thanks for the update on your new friend, Cinder Dog. We were waiting anxiously Down Under to find out what was happening for Stray. I'm so pleased you've got some more Angels on the case. Things seem to be working out fine. About the delicate subject of dog constipation, tell your dear old Dad to look up www.marvistavet.com/html/constipation_and_megacolcon.html
    I agree that you & your Dad should write a book. Your style is very much like Kinky Friedman who writes really funny detective books & lives in Texas. Kinky also set up & supports a no-kill animal shelter that takes dogs which even other shelters don't want. Go to www.utopiarescue.com
    Please keep letting us know what's happening for Stray. You & Dad & Boots & the Angels are doing very well.

Whoops! That site about dog constipation should be www.marvistavet.com/html/constipation_and_megacolon.html

Hi All, Cinder again...

Sure was quiet at home last nite... Got in trouble for shout barkin' in Dad's ear when we pulld out of the driveway this morning - thought I saw Stray, but it was only Mouthy from the horse farm. I searched all through our shop when we got here, but Stray didn't come back last night.

Angels3 linked to a Great site that has lots of great health and Vet tips, but we sorta found the answer to Stray's no-poddy problem just 'fore we left yesterday. Seems he had been makin' some really bad air all day - I mean his whizzers were really Rank! Each time he'd whizz, outside they'd go; and back they came with Stray still *full*. Just as we were shuttin' things off to leave, ol' Stray takes a stroll through the shop and dumped a *huge* load (all loose and yucky) into a box of parts Dad had on the floor. (hehehe) Figured that would drop the Favorite Son down a notch or two on the popularity list, but all he got was a bad dog... If I'd done that I would have got the *dog swatter* and spent the rest of the day tied to the table leg! Well, Dad cleaned and flushed most of it, but I guess "we" gotta wash some parts bags today.

We got to Angels and he jumped right out an acted all happy till he got to the door and a bunch of the inmates started barkin' at him. Dad had to reach down and kinda push him in. He passed his heart worm test, so they came out and walked down to the transfer building where he had to sleep till they took him to the White Coat's place today. I could hear him cryin' when Dad came back to our car. Dad didn't say much drivin' home.

Dad was kinduh unhappy 'cause Angels wouldn't use "Stray" for his name; they said he needed a kennel name for their records. They called him "Gunner", but Dad thinks that suckz. I thought "You're Only Number Two" was good, but Dad gave me a dirty look... Here's what he looks like: Short (3/4" max) mixed or mottled light gray and tan coat, with no ruffles or feathers, and laid down tight to his body. Small, flopped-over (forward) ears and thin tail that he carries up and curled over his back. Angels says he's got some German Shepherd in him, but I say he don't look nothin' like me! His face is too round and short, and when he wiggles his ears his forehead gets all wrinkled like he's frowning. He's my size though, 22" high and maybe 40 pounds; Angels says maybe a year old. I think "#2" would be a good name. A cold day in Where, Dad? Hmmm, guess "#2" is out just like "Gunner". Dad's gonna look in his Thee-sar-us book...

That's all for now. Gotta help clean *stinky* parts bags. We leave at 4:30 to go pick the kid up and take him right home. It'll be good to hear his whimpers and whines again tonight. Later... /s/ Cinder

Cinder, It's a sign I swear it's a sign from above that Stray should be your forever brother. The part about him being the same size as you and sounds like he is close to your color too. Now what are the chances of THAT? Plus look how you and Dad missed him last night, and you've only known him a couple days. Tell Dad that the poor guy couldn't help pooping how he did. His diet has problably been yukky stuff that he had to ingest to survive. I don't think you have to worry about sharing Dad either. Sounds like you will always be the Top Dog in his eyes and it might be kinda nice to have someone else for You to boss around, that is besides Kat. HA. Well I just wanted to let you know that there are all kinds of fingers, toes, and paws crossed in our house, hoping that you might get to keep Stray. (I think that Stray is a good name...but you could call him Trey (which I think means the third) as in the third fur- kid in the house).

All I can think to say is "I love you Cinder & dad"!!
    I happen to like "Stray" if my humble opinion matters. If we, at beloved "PetTalk" start to suggest names to dad, he will end up with thousands and then he'll really have a hard time deciding!!! Dad sounds kinda neat so I think he'll pick a good name, afterall, "Cinder" is an excellent name, don't you think????
    Cinder...is dad still "Shocking" you???
    I have a sneaky suspicion you're gonna wind up with a playmate! But you will certainly RULE!!
    Hugs and kisses!!!

HOW I LOVE YOUR STORIES!! You are one cool doggie with a knack for telling it like it is! And what a team you and Stray, or Gunner, or, or, well, you two will be great pals! We had a terrific dog that stays at our kennel named Trey! We were telling the humans today what a great name it is. As in Trey manifique, bien, etc.!! Not as manifique as you Cinder, of course! You'll always be top dog with Dad..no worry there. Can't wait to hear how the kid is doing. Bet he was a very, very brave boy. Let us know asap how he's doing, OK? Big kisses to you. I think we should start a Cinder fan club!

Fan club? I'm waiting for the book and the movie to follow. I like the name "Stray" too. When I was a kid, an old man in our town found a stray and named him "Dog". He said he was to old to be creative

We want Cinder to be Dog of the Day!!!!
    We all apparently love her like one of our own. Phred, if you have any pictures of her, I could scan them for you.

Cinder Dog, if your Dad likes the name 'Stray', but the Angels say he has to have another one, there's a way they both can have what they want. We nearly always call you 'Cinder Dog', so you have a two-handled name. Well, think about giving Stray a two-handled name, too..like Stray Boy. The Angels can know him by the second bit, but to you & Dad & Boots & everyone else, he'll keep the 'Stray' part, too. You sort of need a short name for the second bit...Stray Pal, Stray Mate, Stray Bo. Stray Dude...well, keep thinking.
    Remember to tell us what is happening.
    Oh...& don't forget to start writing your book.

How is the little patient??? I've been checking constantly since after his scheduled discharge time and am starting to get worried!! Please give Stray a big hug and kiss! Hope he had a quiet night without too much discomfort! I'll bet you were a great "nurse" to your bud, Cinder Dog!