Thread: Fostering pets

Fostering pets

I have read so many wonderful stories of how many of you foster animals to be placed in new homes. I want to know more about this process and understand better how you get the fostered pets to get along with your own animals. Can you even do it when you have dogs and cats of your own? I think my dogs would adapt to having "temporary" visitors much better than my cat would. I would just love to be able to give back something....and all this fostering discussion has me wondering if Helen and I could help in that way. Give me your suggestions and thoughts.
    Thanks.
    Logan

Logan, I am certain you can have your own pets, that way the animals get used to other dogs or cats. If I were you, I would contact your local humane society or find a rescue organization in your vicinity. Either mixed breed or purebreed. You can put a search in a search engine like golden retriever, ohio, or south carolina or wherever and they should give you listings for them. Then you can contact the site or whatever. I would imagine you have to go thru a screening process, to make sure your dogs/cats will adjust to the change in environment.
    Good luck!! Keep us posted!!!

Logan:
    Just a word of caution: be sure that any animal you take into your home is up to date on their shots. Have a friend who fosters and took in a pup that they didn't know had parvo. Was very sad and also very contagious for her animals.

I fostered a gray and white tabby cat named Smokey for our local Humane society. He didn't interact wth my pets because he stayed in a heated room off of the garage and he had his own couch, TV, fridge, sliding glass door, and a table and chairs. I loved him so much, but I was prepared to give him to another familt where he was loved as much as he was here. One day, though, he went outside as usual, but he didn't come back. I pray that he found another home. If you want to foster a pet, talk to your local Humane Society. They will give you a pet to foster and they pay for the food, toys, litter, and vet care. You should try it because instead of that animal being euthanized, it stays with you until it's adopted! Good luck!

Logan, what did you ever decide??

Logan,

It is GREAT that you are thinking of fostering. It is a great way to help out and it is appreciated by all concerned. I have LOTS of animals at my home, and we foster on a regular basis. The animals usually stay a week or so.. You see how they interact with people, pets & things. That information is great for potential adoptive parents.

Fostering is one of the best things I do. I am so happy when my fosters get great homes!!Usually they keep in touch with me so I still get to visit. Good luck!

I would look for organizations who are breed rescues because they usually have nowhere to keep the animals they want to take in. But shelters and no-kill facilities need help too.

Michelle

I'd love to foster... but I know I would never be able to give them up. I get attached so easily and it would be awful to have to say goodbye. When I was in seventh grade, a 'stray' (or so we thought) dog started hanging around our house. I named her Bandit and I even spent my own money buying her food. i started thinking she was 'my dog' and took care of her for at least a month in the summer. Then one day her owners contacted the dog officer who I had already called, and one day while I was at school, he came to pick her up and I never saw her again. I cried for DAYS. I don't do well with goodbyes! And I can't help but think her owners were irresponisble to let their dog out without a collar! And they didn't even ask for her back for a month. Well anyway the point of my story (yes there really is one this time ) is that I would not be able to give up my fostered animal. I'd end up having to adopt it myself - which wouldn't a bad thing, except my mother is very stubborn when it comes to her "one pet" rule So I guess fostering is not for everyone... but can you think of any other ways I can help out?

I'd love to foster too but my dogs don't really like other dog and plus I have no room.
    but one summer I found a pregnent cat and I took her in and let her have her kittens in my house. We raised the kittens till they were ready to go. I found homes for all the kitties. but we couldn't keep the mother because she hated dogs.

Other ways to help out - volunteer! Shelters always need people to come, play with the animals, walk the dogs, clean cages, answer phones - that way you can help out, be with the animals, but not take them home to the one-pet-at-a-time mom!

Another problem with that one... the shelter nearest to me only allows volunteers who are 18 or older!!!! That's a stupid rule in my mind!! I turned sixteen last Thursday so I am too young to volunteer!

Your Birthday was the 11th. so was mine I turned 18. HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Ooh, age discrimination! Hey, if there isn't a legal reason (some places that have machinery you HAVE to be 18 by law) why not ask the director or whoever is highest up in the organization if you got references if you could volunteer. They may be shying away from younger people because they are afraid they'll be unreliable, or because they don't want to cut into students' homework time - if either of these are thier reasons, perhaps you could prove that it wouldn't be the case with you, and be the exception!

Originally posted by Daisy's Mom:
    Another problem with that one... the shelter nearest to me only allows volunteers who are 18 or older!!!! That's a stupid rule in my mind!! I turned sixteen last Thursday so I am too young to volunteer!
    Daisy's Mom:
    I don't know how far you are from Hudson, MA but if it is close enough to where you live, you could get in touch with Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue. I don't think they have an age limit and they are always looking for volunteers to help or play with the Goldens in residence. In the summer, the dogs with arthritis swim in the pool supervised by the volunteers.It's a wonderful place!
    Call them at (978) 568-9700 or drop them a note: YGRR - P.O.Box 808 - Hudson, MA 01749-0808