Thread: Fat cat allert

Fat cat allert

Hi my hubby has always joked about my cat being a big girl. It's no longer a joke. She plumped up over the summer and it's sad.
    We have fostered a lot of kittens and I'm sure she was eating thier food higher in protien smells yummy. Smaller bite size.
    I took away her wet food after the food recall. Her food is weight management & regular adult. She's only a little over 2 years old. Spayed and a happy girl but really plump. My hubby is joking that we could dye her orange for Halloween, place a lasgana in front of her and win a contest.

Any suggestions on getting her weight down?

Post this also in Cat Health.

You will get more health advice there.

I know one thing my vet told me is cats GORGE at night. So I leave a mere tbsp of dry in the cat dishes at night. Doing that or taking the food away altogether at night would help.

I am glad you are doing something - at 2 years old, you don't want her getting older kitty illnesses!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Poor kitty! Do you "free feed," as in leave food down all day? If so, time to stop that. If she's been a nibbler until now, she'll quickly learn to eat when the food is put down, or it'll be gone later!

As this is in cat behavior, it's perfect for talking about activities. Does she have any toys she likes to play with that you could use to help her be more active? It doesn;t need to be expensive - if she likes "fetch," acrumpled scrap of paper if often as good as a fancy "bought" ball ... Or feathers on the end of a piece of yarn that you can wave in the air for her to "catch and kill" - anything to entice her to be more active will also help with her weight. Does catnip give her "the zoomies" or does it zonk her out? Every cat seems different in that regard.

And, of course, just like we humans, watch out for how many "between meal snacks" or treats she gets. Substituting play time instead of a calorie-laden treat will be better for her on all fronts. Tell her I feel her pain, as I need to lose weight, too!

The bottom line is that it's basic math: we have to put out more than we take in. Just as we humans have to stop stuffing ourselves and get up off that sofa, the same rules apply for our pets. Since cats depend on us to do that for them, be sure she gets plenty of exercise w/cat toys, etc. and feed her less food, less often. Take the food up at night. Sounds like you're on top of it. Good luck.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Dry food ban!

I, too, have a "fluffy" cat. I also have a diabetic cat and in an effort not to have my big boy follow suit, I have had him on a diet now for two months. My vet is a huge believer that it is the dry food that causes cats to gain weight (along with over-eating). It also causes them to drink excess water, which is another factor in weight gain for cats. I took my boy off all dry food and he gets only 2 cans of the Fancy Feast brand, over four feeding periods a day. Zero during the night. So far he's lost 12 ounces, which is great for only two months, since weight loss in cats should be very gradual. Try removing all dry food and don't free feed your cat. Good luck. My big boy Floyd is proof that it can be done. The problem is that it's harder on the cat owner than it really is on the cat!

I personally have found that the Nutro Coplete Care Indoor Reduced works wonders and the Found Cats have done very well on it. We pray you can get your Girl down in weight while shes still young as its so hard to do when shes older.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thank you!!!!!!!!

Thank you for all your advise.
    Molly eats Nutro Indoor Complete care Weight Management mixed w/the Adult Indoor complete.
    She only gets about 1/2 cup/day.

Things I have noticed since we've seen her weight gain
    She is eating the kitten food (higher in calorie & protien)
    This summer has been hot and humid. If we have the windows open on the hot days but there is a breeze blowing she is less active
    My daughter has been giving everyone treats. Whether they want them or not. Force feeding treats BAD
    She has also taken to watching the kittens play instead of playing w/them

All this will change.
    Kittens are coming to an end.
    I have talked w/my daughter about the treats
    She is back to her 10pm mommy playtime (when teh house is quiet. kids and hubby are asleep) I have put the kittens to "bed" in a room so Molly and I have our "special" time
    I will add wet food to her diet again. I have heard that wet food is good for animal weight loss.

Thank you all again. Molly will slimdown again.

~ Tara

Fat Cat Alert

Thanks everyone. I too have a "fluffy" girl and I picked up some good information, but what do I do if I have one "fluffy" girl and one thin girl? How do i keep from lucy eating oni's food? I adopted them both together and they are very close. They even enjoy eating out of the same food dish. I've tried giving Oni some extra food without lucy, but she won't eat unless lucy is there and lucy always knows when food is being presented. Sigh. Lucy is almost 6 years old and her tummy is really getting big.

I suggest feeding Luci and Oni together. Don't free feed, and don't worry. Oni will get what she needs when you feed them together. If they get food aggressive then you may have to feed separately, but I'd only do that if it becomes an issue. Good luck, and remember, this is a transition--everything will work out.