Thread: Book thread- The Da Vinci Code

Book thread- The Da Vinci Code

Do we ever talk about good books in here?

Just wonder if anyone is or has read this. I'm in the middle of it and I can't put it down. I read a couple of books a week but this one is probably one of the best I've ever read. Fascinating.

A few of us here have a little book club going. We share our our thoughts on recently read favorites, wanna reads and even send them to one another to share. The Da Vinci Code is at the top of my list, and I think Logan's too. I just picked it up the other day! I've read so many great reviews and others who have read it told me they found it difficult to put down! Thanks for the confirmation! Another good on is The Lovely Bones and one from a few years ago, Memoirs of a Geisha is a favorite. I just finished The Secret Life of Bees and loved that one too! (Thanks Logan

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Lovely Bones was very good, I enjoyed it. I'm not sure it ended the way I would've liked, but it was great. I enjoyed Memoirs but haven't read the other you meantioned.

Others that stand out to me are: Fall On Your Knees (A+++) by Ann Marie MacDonald and Dive From Clausen Pier by Ann Packer.

Anita Shreve is my favorite author, I've enjoyed all her work.

Have you read The Human Stain? I almost picked it up at the book store the other day. It looks good and I recall hearing about it. Looking for a review, though.

As Sandra said, The Da Vinci Code is sitting on my nightstand, waiting on me to read it. I know it has created a lot of controversy, but I decided to get it and figure it out for myself! I am currently reading "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom. Turns out that my husband ordered it and it arrived the same day that The Da Vinci Code did!! Scott keeps asking me when I'm going to finished with his book! Mitch Albom wrote Tuesdays With Morrie, also. If you haven't read it, you definitely should!

I haven't read it but there was a show on with that name last week. Where Jesus is supposed to have married Mary Magadeline and had childen. Being a Christian I found the show very offensive. Did no one stop to think that the picture of the last supper by Da Vinci is not even historically acurate? They didn't sit at tables and eat in those days. If he couldn't get that one detail correct, why on earth would the rest of this 'code' be correct either?
    Sorry, I didn't mean to rant at you. It just makes me mad that the networks feel free to air something so offensive to Christians. If it was about, say, Mohammad or Buddah, it would not have been shown.

Well, Da Vinci was a pagan, and supplemented his income by taking projects commissioned by the Vatican. Some of those Christian works had unChristian undertones as his little joke. That is part of the book, but also true and we read about it in an art history class I took once. The Vatican knew about it but kept hiring him to paint.

I like to read all kinds of religious philosophy- but my personal beliefs are Christian. But I'm fascinated by the idea of conspiracies and sects like Stymata, etc.

Some of it is just reading, but some of it is very interesting thought and worth studying. If Jesus did marry MM, then I dont' see that as an issue to my faith. I think it would be pretty neat if he'd married her- it would clearly evidence God's forgiving nature and the forgiveness of sins. But that is neither here nor there. I just find all these thougth very interesting. There is so much we don't know about all kinds of religions and how the fit together.

But this book is fiction, let's not forget.

I've read the Left Behind series, anybody else. Those are fascinating to me too. I don't follow the rapture belief, but it is such an interesting theory toward the end of days. The writing is HORRIBLE and the dialogue insulting, but the story is good. I recommend them for those people who enjoy religious theory with a fictional mask.
    Last edited by 2kitties; 11-21-2003 at 03:22 PM.

Knowing it is fiction is what made me purchase the book. I didn't see the documentary that Connie is speaking of. I know that it was highly controversial on talk radio around here (what isn't???), but it peaked my curiosity. Once I've read it, I'll be sure to report in.

I have the same fundamental Christian values that all of you do, and like you, 2 Kitties, I don't have a problem if Jesus did get married to Mary Magdalene or anyone. Of course, biblically speaking, there is no foundation to make us believe that, anyway.

Well, I'll be back, when I've finished "Scott's book" (which I had better do quickly), and have gotten into The DaVinci Code.

Logan

Sorry, I didn't realize this was fiction. The documentry on (ABC I think it was), took the premise and ran with it as fact. There is another documentry called the Quest for the Holy Grail that says much the same thing. They say that the Holy Grail wasn't the cup drank from at the last supper but Mary M. herself.

I'll look forward to your report, Logan!

MOFF, there is a theory that Jesus married and had a family, basically due to the fact that the bible skips over so much of his life. And I think there are a few documentaries and books about it. I don't know what I think. I know it wouldn't negate my faith at all if I learned he was married, though. I mean, he was a man in the physical sense. It's not entirely unnatural he would marry. I don't know...hmmmm. now I'm interested
    I've also been interested in the idea of the living lineage of Christ- do they call this Sayed? I can't recall. But the idea that Mary and Joseph had other children who then had children, etc. Therefore, Christ would have living family members today.
    But anyway, this book itself is fiction and it is interesting.