Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question for Aly

Looks like Twyla was adopted.

Oh my goodness! This picture of Hope! How can anyone resist?!?!

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: aly ]

Hope is like the poster child for HUA's efforts to end puppy mills. I have stickers with her picture on which say:

"Give Hope to the Mill Dogs
    Boycott Stores
    that Sell Puppies
    Hearts United for Animals
    http://www.hua.org

Oh my gosh, what a website. When I saw the Maltese I instantly thought of you. I signed up to be a buddy for June the golden. I would love to have her. Actually I would take them all if I could.I hope you find what you are looking for.

I love that website. I don't look at it often since I don't want to fall in love with a dog that is so far away. There are too many over here that need rescuing. But looking at Leah and Bonnie (and Hope and...)

I vote for Leah, followed by Janessa, then Betty, then Daisy, then Bonnie. It looks like Hope is Homeward Bound also. Hooray. Some of those dogs were on there last year when I was looking at that website.
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

RachelJ, Where did you find the stickers? I didn't see them at the hua.org web site.

I've been a "buddy" to several of their dogs in the past so I guess I'm on their list to get promotional material now and then.

Beauty runs in the name Daisy!!

Rachelj, I ordered a tee shirt and a dog toy from HUAS & I got those stickers! Really nice ones. It only took 3 days before I got the items.

How well I know all those pups! I started visiting HUA over a year ago. It was the story of Hope that stole my heart. If I remember, Hope is a "Sweetheart." That is, due to the extent of her trauma, she will forever remain a permanent resident at HUA. Have you seen her "after" pics??? You wouldn't recognize her! I believe she is a Maltese. I waited MONTHS for a response to me emails requesting to sponsor a "Buddy" and a "Sweetheart." No answer! I finally ended up calling them and speaking with the wonderful gentleman who, along with his wife, runs the organization. We spoke for almost an hour. Many of the pups sleep right there in their bed with them! They just adore these babies. I did, however, have to write a letter to the address listed to get a response re: adoptions, etc. You might want to try that Leslie if you don't get an email soon! Good Luck! Wouldn't this be the a most special and exciting rescue!!! Sandra

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I spoke with my friend last week and told her that there may be some rescued dogs at shelters that would be a great match, and she said that she wants another puppy from the breeder that sold her a dying, birth defective puppy I will respect her wishes because she's a sweet person, but I will continue showing her pictures of these homeless dogs in the meantime. Hopefully she'll see one that makes her heart skip a beat and I'll be able to adopt a dog for her after all.

I was not going to bring Ritz over to her house because I did not want to upset her, since Ritz is the litermate to the puppy she lost but she asked me last week to bring Ritz over so she could see him. When I brought him she at first acted happy, she watched him play in the grass and she giggled. Then she asked to hold him so I picked him up and handed him to her and she started to sob while petting him. She sobbed and said, "I miss my puppy" through tears. I felt terrible. The breeder said she's going to give her a free puppy (and she also gave her all of her money back) so that's good and responsible.

My friend does want me to go with her to help her pick out a pup though. She really wants to make sure she gets a healthy pup this time and I knew right away that her last puppy was not healthy. If I can't adopt her a dog, I'll help her pick out a healthy puppy.

Thanks everyone for the help. HUA did get back to me right away and the price would not have been that bad. They said it would be between $150 and $200 for the airfare and the adoption fee would be a minimum of $125. That's less then most of the purebred puppies I could find for sale in the newspaper. We'll see, I really can't say how it will turn out but it seems like my friend wants a puppy just like the one that died. She loved that little girl.

Thanks again so much for the help! I'll post a celebration note if she ends up wanting an older pup from the HUA shelter

I like the website too and would love to be able to adopt from them, but they won't adopt to us because we crate our dogs during the day while we are at work so they don't fight or destroy the house. We wanted to adopt Winnie and Pooh from them to go along with our Tigger, but they said no and they are still there They were just little things when we saw them. They definitely do have some beautiful dogs!

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Mugsy, if I'm thinking correctly, a lot of these dogs are puppy mill rescues. I'm assuming that it would be too traumatizing on the little ones if you put them in a cage. They might suffer from flashbacks. I wouldn't take it personally.
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

Mugsy - Winnie and Pooh are soooooooo cute. I'm sure they'll find a good home.

There's an adoprable papillon on that site that I'm falling in love with. I really don't trust myself to read any of the dogs' stories or I'm going to send in an application for each and every one of them

Leslie - I'm really sorry to hear your friend wants to go back to that breeder. I understand her feelings but you might want to suggest getting a dog of a slightly different breed, or at least different coloring or something. After somone loses a pet, they often keep comparing the new one to their lost one and the new one can never live up. This especially happens if they're the same breed. Your friend probably won't do that but it still might be too painful. Its too bad she can't meet any of those HUA dogs in person or I'm sure they'd change her mind.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya