Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to neuter/spay or not..

to neuter/spay or not..

hi everyone!

I got Dinky, a saltNpepper miniature schnauzer, a month ago and life has been so different eversince..

but now my fiance is asking if we should get him neutered (Dinky's 4 months old now) and if yes, at what age?

Thought I'd ask around to see if anyone's got experiences/ advice to share..

Thanks!

I dont think you should neuter him that young. I am not the perfect person to ask but I think the should be older, a few more months.
    [size=1]Rachel & Sally

Yes, get him neutered!! Most vets recommend spay/neutering at 6 months of age.

Definitely neuter. It's better for the pup and for you.

Our vet said we should wait until our pup is at least 6 months old to have her spayed. So we have Muffin scheduled for the day before Thanksgiving. She's about 7 months old now. We picked the day so that one of us could be around for 4 full days with her to make sure she's OK. Don't want one of the rest of the kids to bump her by accident when we're not here. (I know, we're overprotective parents! Can't help it.)

the sooner the better!

alex the wonder dog was neutered the day after the vet said he was old enough, maybe 5 months. i knew there were a lot of homeless black doggies out there and i didn't want to to take any chances on making anymore of them.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Oh yes, get him neutered. Not only will he be a healthier doggie who'll live longer, but you'll also curb most male behavior issues. In other words, he'll live longer and you'll be glad! Unaltered males are one thing I personally find pretty gross. They do yucky things and are virtually impossible to control if there's a female in heat anywhere in your area.

As everyone else has said, most vets recommend the surgery around 6 months of age, or when the testicles have fully descended.

My dog was neutered at exactly 4 months of age, and he was perfectly fine. Of course, he's a much larger dog so that may make a difference. Either way, I HIGHLY recommend getting him neutered, and definitely before he is a year old.

Yes, go ahead and have him neutered. you'll be so happy with that decision. Most vets will now neuter as soon as the testicles descend, but some still stay with the old rule of not doing it until 6 months.
    I've been BOO'd!

I'm in agreement! Neuter, neuter, neuter! He'll be a much more likeable dog and you won't contribute to the pound puppy problem.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Yup I would get him neutered!!!!!!!!
    Personally I would wait until he is 5-6 months of age as I think it is better for them.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Thanks for your replies everyone!

Though I'm someone who feels squeemish at the thought of surgery or blood and all..but I also felt perhaps it's good to get Dinky neutered..I guess Dinky's pups would never replace Dinky..and that being the case, I'd rather give an abandoned dog another chance at a good life right...so okie dokz!

Will jot it in my diary to schedule an appointment when Dinky boy turns 6 months old! hehe!

Thanks once again!

I say go ahead and get him neutered! It'll keep him healthier, and keep the shelters not so busy! That's the way it should be! I wish everyone would spoay and neuter their pets, only professional people can breed their pets, a few times a year, that should keep the population good.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Another vote for neuter!

6 months sounds like a fairly good age although some vets do the surgury at younger ages also. Just keep in mind that the longer you wait, the more time he has to pick up those nasty habits.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

was speaking to a friend about this the other day and she told me that after spaying her dog, he's humping more and getting more aggressive (the total opposite???) also mentioned that he lost weight n looked sickly...

did you all take a few days off to stay home with your dog after the surgery? will they be in pain/ discomfort and must we refrain them from being too active in case the stitching is not fully healed yet (worried about this as Dinky is still young and hence, very playful and hyper)

Both my boys are neutered and both are great (except for Kaedyn about the agressiveness..but I'm pretty sure neutering didn't cause it as he was neglected in the past).

After Kai came home from his surgury, we just made sure he wouldn't pick at the stitches and would take it easy. The taking it easy thing wasn't too hard because he was still groggy. It'd be ideal if you took a few days off but it isn't totally necessary. You could always crate your dog and put on a cone while you're out.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]