Thread: Caffeine--how much is too much?

Caffeine--how much is too much?

Hi all,

Lefty spent the day feeling a little puny after throwing up this morning. I'm trying to determine the cause of his illness, and can't decide between the following two things:

1) Beef, cooked medium well, with very little seasoning. I brought it home for him from a restaurant last night. I gave him very little--less than 2 ounces if I had to guess.

2) Coffee--I spilt a small amount of french vanilla-flavored coffee yesterday, and he lapped it up before I could get to it. It was a very small amount, not even a teaspoon, but I know dogs are allergic to caffeine.

He threw up one other time since we've had him, on a Sunday morning. I'd brought him a little steak home the previous Friday night. I'd ruled out the beef since so much time had passed inbetween, but now I'm not so sure. Both times the steak was medium well and had very little seasoning, the fat was cut off, and he was given only an ounce or so.

Any thoughts?
    SMB ^ï^
    Bats--you need them more than you know!

I don't think it would be the coffee. I've known dogs who have eaten an etire cup with no adverse affects.

It could possibly be the beef though. Some seasonings can make a dog feel very sick.

Sorry I'm no help. Maybe Lefty is just having an off-day.
    I've been BOO'd!

My thoughts is it was the steak. Duke got really sick after having some cubed steak and gravy. He was at the vet for a week with Pancreaitis. Duke gets no more people food, except for cooked carrots which we've found out he loves. If given the choice to do over, I would have never given him any people food at all. What does your vet say? Hope Lefty feels better.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

At the vet for a week--good grief! Glad he is back to normal.

I really wouldn't have thought steak was too rich, but perhaps it is. I got such a kick out of bringing him a treat--it was great to see him get so excited. However, I felt really sorry for him all day. He was just sort of droopy, and couldn't be bothered to follow us up and down the stairs like he usually does. I went and napped with him on the couch for about an hour around four, and afterwards he seemed a lot better. His appetite is back--I just gave him dry dog food, today--and he's been playing with his toys.
    SMB ^ï^

Just for the record, everyone knows that chocolate is bad for dogs, right? Well it is the CAFFEINE in the chocolate that is the BAD part. Did you know that?

Isn't it actually theobromine, a compound similar to caffeine?

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Originally posted by Kfamr
    Isn't it actually theobromine, a compound similar to caffeine?
    That's what I was going to say. Either way, yes I know chocolate is bad for dogs.

Maybe next time just rinse off the steak. Dogs do reacts differently to differing amounts of caffiene - my grandfather used to share his before-bed cup of coffee with Butchie every night - they split the coffee and the doughnut, half and half, with no ill effects to Butchie the bulldog.

Poor Lefty! Extra cuddles to him for me!

Originally posted by dukedogsmom
    My thoughts is it was the steak. Duke got really sick after having some cubed steak and gravy. He was at the vet for a week with Pancreaitis. Duke gets no more people food, except for cooked carrots which we've found out he loves. If given the choice to do over, I would have never given him any people food at all. What does your vet say? Hope Lefty feels better.
    Exactly. It was most likely the steak. Steak is No-No according to our vet; too rich. Chester has pancreatitis also, so really no people food here either. Occasionally I'll feel really bad and give in. It can only be 2-3 very small bites and he has an episode.

All pet owners should shy away from feeding people food to their pets. You think 'Ah, but I do it all the time and everything's fine', but that's what I used to think, too. Now Chester has a life threatening illness. Wish I'd never fed him people food.

Is pancreatitis a permanent illness?
    SMB ^ï^

There are two types, acute and chronic. Here’s a very informative link about the disease.
    http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dpancrea.html