Thread: Eye Kisses

Eye Kisses

I read in another thread about "eye kisses". This is term we have always used in our family. Not sure where it started but it works like this: you catch the gaze of your cat and S L O W L Y close your eyes, keep them closed for a moment and then look back at your cat. He will return the same behavior!! If so, this is what we call an "eye kiss'!! Sometimes, we can keep it going back and forth for several minutes. It really is great fun and interactive! I think I read about it years ago in some cat behavioral book - wish I could find it - I am pretty sure the author was a woman back in the 70's - but it really does happen. Anyone else play with "eye kisses"?? If so, do you remeber where you learned about them??

I have read in a number of cat books that "eye kisses" are a means of cat communication. Edwina and I do this.....just as you describe!

I do this with Bob and Joey all the time. It is so cute, sometime Bob winks instead.

I read somewhere on the net that this is a way to communincate non-aggresion. I used it alot with Joey when she was being introduced to the house. Is it true, I don't know. However, I don't think it does any harm and it's fun.
    Last edited by CatDad; 11-17-2003 at 03:24 PM.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

I'm not sure that Boomer has the attention span to grasp such a concept. When I try to catch his eye, it only lasts a split second. oh well, I guess him jumping up on my lap all the time should let me know that he loves me
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

I've heard of this somewhere, but I can't remember where. Probably on a cat website. Ally kept staring at me with squinty eyes. She looked angry at me! Then I read it was a sign of affection and I should do it back to her, so I do. We also have staring contests often. I usually win these!

Isn't it wonderful how cats can win friends and influence people without ever reading a book.

I"m going to try this tonight!

I seen that on tv on animal planet , one time ,that it is a form of saying" I love you "
    to your cat . Sunny seems to like it too. I have been using this as a way of communicateing to him that I love him as well as saying it to him . What ever it really means , he seems to like it .

Originally posted by 2kitties
    I"m going to try this tonight!
    Me too! I've never heard of that!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I have always given my kitties eye kisses. Sometimes you can even catch them with a look of surprise after you have just given them a "kiss".

It has always been one of my favorite things to do - it leaves you with such a sweet feeling when they kiss you back.