Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fire Mascot abused while crew out training

Haven't heard a thing about Fire Dog Smokey; but since you reminded me ~ I fired off an e-mail to Dave, the Humane Officer who was working on the case.

I'll post whatever I get back.

I think we all need to keep the Prayers flowing and the hands & paws crossed.
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Update on Smokey, the 9 Mile Point Fire Dawg!

Dad just heard back from the folks at LISA who said:

"Thanks for your inquiries about Smokey! Yes, there is an email address for the firefighters - it is:
    [email protected]

Donations are being accepted for the vet bills, and can be sent to us - L.I.S.A.; P.O.box 740321; New Orleans, La. 70174.

Thanks!

Wr're gonna write to that Lieutenant 783c person and tell 'em to visit here on Pet Talk. Maybe we can hear how Smokey's doing!

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: Phred ]
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

I can't believe I didn't see this post sooner. Reading the story just broke my heart. I am in awe at how cruel some people can be. It makes me sick to my stomach.

I jotted down the address to send a donation to help cover Smokey's vet bills.

Phred, please keep us updated on Smokey's recovery.

Thanks for the update and email address Phred. Wouldn't that be great to "talk" to the Lieut. and hear first hand how Smokey is doing. Paws crossed all over the place!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Hello evryone, I got a e-mail saying that everyone wanted to know about Smokey. Well Smokey is doing pretty good considering what he has been through. The cast has been taken off his front left par with a 100% healing. He did lose his left rear leg to amputation, due to all joints were crushed and not repairable. We would like to thank people like yourself for all the support that we have gotten while dealing with this horrible situation. Smokey is trated like one of the firemen around here. It was a hard thing for us to deal with, but evryone is fine. Smokey is getting around very good with only three legs. The person or person's that did this are still on the lose, even with a $2,000 donation. We still have hope that we can find the guilty party. The police have there hands tied due to lack of leads, but we are still out looking. I hope i have ansered the questions you wanted, if not please e-mail me at [email protected]. Once again thanks for all your support.

Originally posted by Phred:
    <STRONG>Here's a sad commentary on what some low-life will do to a FurKid...

Quoted from http://www.Firehouse.com

"Louisiana Station Mascot Nearly Killed

CHARLES BAILEY
    Firehouse.com News

Smokey, a five-year-old Dalmatian and the mascot of the 9 Mile Point Fire Department, located near New Orleans, came home today after a violent brush with death, and a one-week stay in the hospital.

Firefighters returning from a training detail found Smokey missing from his fenced in yard at the fire station. Two days later Operator Keith Plaisance found him in a neighbor’s yard, badly beaten and near death.

Lt. Paul Jackson said that the dog splits his time between a fenced in area to the rear of the station and inside with the firefighters. When firefighters found the mascot they also found a trail of bricks used to bludgeon the dog. Lt. Jackson said, "You could see a trail where the dog tried to crawl to safety and they kept throwing bricks at him."

Smokey’s injuries required two surgeries including the amputation of his right rear leg. His other injuries include a fracture front leg, and multiple bruises, cuts, abrasions, and infections. He is expected to recover...

Firehouse.com photo of Smokey...

End Firehouse.com quote"

There is a little more info on the Firehouse.com page at:
    Fire Mascot Story.

I can't find any links to the 9 Mile Point Fire Department or e-mails of members. I did locate a mailing address:

Nine Mile Point Vol. Fire Dept.
    Chief Dennis M. Guidry
    1024 Oak Avenue
    Nine Mile Point, LA 70094
    Phone#: (504) 349-5178

LISA, the League in Support of Animals, has posted a reward and may help with Smokey's Vet bills. Their web site is at:
    LISA site.

Hug your FurKids tonight and say a Prayer for Fire Dog Smokey.</STRONG>

That was so sad, how can anyone hurt any animal or human to boot.. There is so much crulty in the world.. God bless the fire mascot, and prayers for recovery..
    Love summersgem

I just phoned there and asked about Smokey.. I heard he's just fine and is living with one of the fire people with several dog buddies. I asked "is he happy and was assured he is. Would do a "big grin" here but I'm too upset about the whole thing to feel like grinning. But it's good to know Smokey is loved and cared for..
    laurie
    ~ at least I'm not...

Originally posted by lbaker:
    <STRONG>I just phoned there and asked about Smokey.. I heard he's just fine and is living with one of the fire people with several dog buddies. I asked "is he happy and was assured he is. Would do a "big grin" here but I'm too upset about the whole thing to feel like grinning. But it's good to know Smokey is loved and cared for..
    laurie</STRONG>
    I am a very recent register to Pet Talk. I was horrified and sadden to read this story and hear that this type of thing happen. In the picutre of Smokey, his eyes seem to be asking "why?". And yet at the same time saying he still loves and beleives in man. I am so very glad he is doing good
    and has a new happy, loving home. Thoughts and prayers go to Smokey and his "commrades" at the firehouse.
    Tailwags, Linda, Mr.T, Macs, and Oskar

Welcome Pair-a-Dox....I haven't been on much lately, so I haven't met you yet. I'm glad you joined the fun.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

I'm just seeing this for the first time...what is wrong with people???!!!

I'm with Pam, those @#!$* jerks should be beaten with the same bricks they used on that poor, sweet dog!

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!

Originally posted by mugsy:
    <STRONG>Welcome Pair-a-Dox....I haven't been on much lately, so I haven't met you yet. I'm glad you joined the fun.</STRONG>
    Thank you Mugsy. I think this is fun, I also have not been on much lately but very nice to meet you too.

Tailwags, Linda, Mr.T, Macs, and Oskar

does anyone have current news on smokey????is he healed????is he happy??? the deli dog
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

I didn't see this post til now, what an awful story! Only a miserable person could do such a thing.

I'm glad Smokey survived and I'm amazed he did considering there is evidence the damage was done by BRICKS! I wish there hadn't been any permanent damage .

To think anyone could have that much hatred towards a living thing sickens me. I am glad to hear that Smokey was able to recover with the surgery needed. It is so sad he had to lose his leg. Prayers going to Smokey and the firemen. I know how attached they must be to Smokey and this has to be very difficult to deal with.
    Xena