Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fire Mascot abused while crew out training

Fire Mascot abused while crew out training

Here's a sad commentary on what some low-life will do to a FurKid...

Quoted from http://www.Firehouse.com

"Louisiana Station Mascot Nearly Killed

CHARLES BAILEY
    Firehouse.com News

Smokey, a five-year-old Dalmatian and the mascot of the 9 Mile Point Fire Department, located near New Orleans, came home today after a violent brush with death, and a one-week stay in the hospital.

Firefighters returning from a training detail found Smokey missing from his fenced in yard at the fire station. Two days later Operator Keith Plaisance found him in a neighbor’s yard, badly beaten and near death.

Lt. Paul Jackson said that the dog splits his time between a fenced in area to the rear of the station and inside with the firefighters. When firefighters found the mascot they also found a trail of bricks used to bludgeon the dog. Lt. Jackson said, "You could see a trail where the dog tried to crawl to safety and they kept throwing bricks at him."

Smokey’s injuries required two surgeries including the amputation of his right rear leg. His other injuries include a fracture front leg, and multiple bruises, cuts, abrasions, and infections. He is expected to recover...

Firehouse.com photo of Smokey...

End Firehouse.com quote"

There is a little more info on the Firehouse.com page at:
    Fire Mascot Story.

I can't find any links to the 9 Mile Point Fire Department or e-mails of members. I did locate a mailing address:

Nine Mile Point Vol. Fire Dept.
    Chief Dennis M. Guidry
    1024 Oak Avenue
    Nine Mile Point, LA 70094
    Phone#: (504) 349-5178

LISA, the League in Support of Animals, has posted a reward and may help with Smokey's Vet bills. Their web site is at:
    LISA site.

Hug your FurKids tonight and say a Prayer for Fire Dog Smokey.
    /s/ Phred, the "Dad" to Cinder & Smokey

the Rescued & Adopted FurKids of *Phred*

This kind of thing really upsets me and at the same time it boggles my mind. I will never understand why someone would hurt an animal who offers nothing but unconditional love. Just look into those eyes! What an absolutely horrible thing! I would be tempted to batter these creeps with the same brick they used on Smokie!! Prayers are on the way up from Bella and me.

[ November 04, 2001: Message edited by: Pam ]

This is really sad. What kinda people do this???

Smokey looks so hurt and sad, it breaks my
    heart..
    Hopefully the police can track down the
    sick creeps that hurt Smokey! Could be they
    live right in the area..I will say Special
    prayers for Smokey, and would be happy to
    contribute to a reward for the arrest of
    the vermin that did this.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I could not read all of it..........It is too sad. I hope they find out who did this and then......I'll stop here. Thanks though for posting this anyway- we need to know that this stuff goes on and do something about it.
    Kedi, Wylie, Rudy, and the dog Scout!

People like that just make me sick to my stomach, hopefully they will be caught and sent to prison for a long, long, time, in a case like that I think an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth should do it, no mercy.
    Jackie

GRRRRR...

I really wish I didn't read that

There are no words harsh enough to describe the type of person who would do such a thing

People who would do that to any living thing doesn't deserve to breathe my air! I wish the same fate for the idiot that did that to poor Smokey. They are simply lower than trash. Sorry I'm being so mouthy, but I can't help it.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

That is just so sad!!!
    Hopefully justice will prevail and they will find whoever did this to the poor guy. If justice is not done on earth, it will certainly prevail when they face The Almighty!!!
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

What a hideous cruel attack on Smokey! I hope that the law enforcement people & caring members of that community cooperate to track down whoever carried it out.
    People who torture animals to such an extent are psychopathic...no empathy for the suffering of any other creature (human or animal), nor any remorse for having caused it. They are a danger to the community & need to be identified & watched very carefully.
    I think there's one country where the law allows the animal welfare authorities to publish a list of the names of people who have been convicted in the courts of cruelty against animals.
    In my own state here in Australia, a law has just been passed that allows the courts to ban people convicted of serious cruelty to animals from owning animals...for life. if necessary. The new law had been in place only 1 week when the court used it to ban an entire family from ever owning an animal again. They had a history of convictions for cruel neglect of pets.

How incredibly, horribly cruel. WHY?????? I hope that the person(s) responsible for this unforgivable act of depravity is found and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The look on Smokey's face breaks my heart. Oh, I am so ANGRY!!!!!!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

This is just awful it makes me sick to my stomach.
    I hope Smokie recovers 100%.
    Prayers, hugs and kitty kisses sent to him tonight.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

aaaaggghhh!!!! my deli dog cannot read this!!!!! she is mainly dal!!! not that this should ever happen to any furkid!!! haven't the firefighters of this country endured enogh??!! i hope they catch these people and they get what they deserve!!! and you do not want to ask me what they deserve...the thoughts that i would have are not allowed on pet talk!!! ...but i will send a donation for smokeys' care and the reward for their capture!!! when will heinous acts like this end?!?!?!? the deli dog
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

Stories like this make me sad to be a part of the human race that is capable of doing such a criminal act. This is just cruel and nasty. Someone needs to find the jerks who did this and give them the same treatment! See how they like it.