Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is your dog a watch dog? :)

Is your dog a watch dog? :)

I was just thinking about this a minute or two before hubby got home. Of course when there is the very slim possibility that someone is about to "invade" our home, Ripley must let us know. He feels he is a watch dog and must alert us to any and all intruders into our home. Once he has seen them he is just fine and quiets himself down. It's just that moment or two as the key goes into the door that he is "on duty." Bella, though interested in visitors, does not see the need to bark at them. Don't get me wrong. She will scurry up to the door, tail a-wagging, but very seldom does a peep cross her lips. How about you? Any watch dogs out there? Ripley wants to know!

Katie may be small, but she has a bark of a saint bernard (lol..J/K) But her barks are quit loud! When someone knocks on the door Katie will go crazy!! (Yap Yap Yap) or sometimes she will even growl. So I would have to say she is quit a protective pup!

Honey would like to think that she is a watchdog. She alerts us to every single thing that goes in front of our house. And if they come onto the porch, cover your ears! LOL!

Pepper is a pretty good guard dog. He'll bark, and if the person comes inside he may or may not warm up to them. It depends on how I feel about the person and the body language signals I am giving him. If he can tell I like the person then he will usually warm up pretty quickly, but if I feel uncomfortable around the person it may take longer for him to warm up
    Stephanie, Honey, and Pepper

Thank you for the wonderful sig kfamr!

Neither of them are when we have company, but when the people are outside, and Darlin can see them...oh boy! Lol

Yep! When Molly hears or see's someone coming onto *HER* territory, she lets us know. But, once they come inside the house, she's fine.
    Daisy could care less if someone came to the door....she'd just want to shower them in kisses.

Oh boy! I think I may have the best alarm system on the block. Both of my boys warn us when someone's outside. Once someone is in the door, Kai runs away and hides behind me and Kaedyn likes to show them how happy he is by jumping on them.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I have 3 "warning dogs".
    If a leaf blows outside, Riley barks at it, but if someone comes in, all he wants to do is kiss them.
    Abbey doesn't so much bark at people outside, but she barks a lot at nothing.
    Kito gets a really low gruff in his bark if someone is outside--he's not much of a barker, so when he barks like that something is definitley going on--it can be the garbage men taking our trash, but something is going on, to him.

Jada is very alert, but doesn't make any noise.

Riley has the best ears out of the 4--he is always the first to hear something, and he has the wussiest little bark!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Moose.....a watchdog? Hm....sometimes. He likes to watch things going on outside, and barks if someone comes to the door or a person passes our house. Other than that, the second someone steps in the door, he's all over them....with kisses, that is.

I have two terriers. Enough said. Aneko could care less and I think that's more about her age and deafness than about her breed. She does bark though, when Chester and Millie bark.

My dogs actually alerted us to an intruder not too long ago! He was in our house and getting ready to come up the stairs, and Max & Jake kept him at bay. I was quite shocked because Jake is the one who alerted us by barking ferociously. Max was sleeping in our room and ran down to help out. Jake doesn't bark much, and is extremely friendly so we were quite impressed!

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

I think our Katie is starting to turn into a "watch dog". So far there has only been about 3 or 4 incidents. She rarely barks so when she started this it was quite a surprise for us. It is a distinctive kind of bark. It is a loud and deep sounding bark and is continual until she feels it is safe. Her fur stands straight up on her back and I must admit she looks very intimidating. When this happens I know that something is out of the norm and always go to check it out. The first time it happened my husband was working nights and I put Katie out to potty and she started barking and even gave a low scary growl. I turned on the backyard lights and didn't see anything. I think it was probably some kind of animal and she scared it away. I sure did make sure everything was locked up tight and Katie slept in bed with me that night. The last incident...she was outside and I heard that same bark and went to investigate and sure enough there was the cable guy with a ladder down in the corner of our neighbors yard climbing up the pole. She was standing close by the back door almost as if she was saying "Don't come near the house". When I said "Good girl, Katie...It's ok now", she was just fine and happy go lucky. I have to admit that right now I like this and it makes me feel safe and protected. I just want to make sure that she doesn't go any further with this behavior and get too aggressive. She never barks when someone comes to the door. As a matter of fact if you were to come to my door and I let you in she would be grabbing up her nearest toy and wiggling and waggling all over you and never leave you alone until you paid lots of attention to her.

Robin

Teddy barks like crazy but won't do anything. Dusty is just happy go lucky. Roxy is really smart about it. As long as the person enters the backyard though the sliding glass door (not the fence) or enters the backyard WITH me, she's sweet as can be. But, we did have the power company guy and the fencing guy cornered and held down by her recently. (Another smart thing, she won't bite.) They'd went back there without me being home. Everyone that knocks on my door is a guest, so she is nice to them.

Pepper has the biggest mouth of all three. lol
    But all 3 are great when it comes to warning barking.

Sheba and Pepper accept all visitors, once they
    are inside the house.
    Rocky, barks the least, but I feel the most
    safe with him by me.

----<---<--<{(@

Keegan may be one of the 'friendliest' breeds but she is definately my watchdog! If anyone is on the street walking by she is at the window growling and snarling and barking. She is pretty protective if she sees people at my neighbors also. She is vary wary around men usually. She doesn't like men with beards. I don't understand that at all b/c I have had her since she was 6 weeks old and she has never been mistreated by a man with or without a beard. But men that she knows like my family and neighbors and the vet SHE LOVES THEM!!!
    I feel much better being away from home with her out of her crate at night, when I am at work and when I am asleep. She is super friendly to people but she definately protective over her momma and house. Even my parent's house (and cottage). I told my mom one time when she was over when something fell or a loud noise happened or something and Kylie (cat) headed for underneath the bed. I made a comment "boy am I glad that Kylie will protect me" and my mom said "I don't think you have to worry about that at all, Keegan will protect you." And I believe that too. I seriously think she would go after someone who was 'going after' me or trying to hurt me.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Originally posted by RobiLee
    As a matter of fact if you were to come to my door and I let you in she would be grabbing up her nearest toy and wiggling and waggling all over you and never leave you alone until you paid lots of attention to her.
    That is what Ripley does once the "intruder" is in the house. In fact that is a behavior that he has just recently started and reminds me so much of my RB poodle Ashley. She just couldn't go to the door with an empty mouth!

I found out shortly after Ripley came to live with us that in his former home (wherever that was) they must have had a doorbell. We don't have one - just a knocker. One night while watching TV someone on the program rang the bell. Ripley looked over at my front door and barked. Of course Bella didn't even look up because she probably didn't realize what happens after a doorbell rings - visitors!