1 2.17%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

2 4.35%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What WAS your limit?

What WAS your limit?

For those households who THOUGHT they had a limit to how many cats they would keep (but went over this number), What exactly did you used to think was your limit.

hee hee...I can distinctly remember when 4 was my limit.

of course I can also remember when that number moved to 6........to 8.........to 9.........to 10.....................

My limit was and still is 3. I guess right now my limit is 1 but I would love to have another couple of cats around.

amoore, you can train your cats to scratch a scratching post. I haven't done that yet, but you can. I have my cat declawed for the reason if he wasn't declawed he would have been put to sleep. I wanted him bad enough and I also didn't want to see him be put to sleep. So I took him and got him declawed. He is still very happy. I would not recommend getting a cat declawed over furniture. Your cat(s) are worth much more than furniture. Declawing can also change their personalties. Please don't declaw them UNLESS it is a medical reson. They will be so much happier with their claws. You should try to train them first. Before you make that decision.

Katie
    Last edited by cubby31682; 11-10-2003 at 08:41 AM.

I do not wish to turn this thread into a heated argument over declawing......but if furniture is more important, than do not get more cats. It is a simple choice.
    You can train them, or adopt the ones who are already declawed, but the bottom line is that if furniture is MORE important than a living creature than cats are not the pet for you.

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    I THOUGHT we would only have one cat, but I just couldn't help thinking about all of the poor, homeless cats at the shelter. Under our lease we are only allowed two animals. If it weren't for that I would have more! We already have plans for a black cat and maybe a dog when we move into our first church.

As far as declawing, neither of my pets have had any ill effects. We had Pickles for quite a while WITH claws, but he was scratching us both so much that we decided it was time. (Not to mention my woven throws, and shower curtain) Both of them sharpen their "claws". They are strictly indoor cats.

My parents have always done partial declawing on their cats (indoor/outdoor). They have brought up such wonderful things as: rabbits, gophers, moles, mice, rats, pheasants, baby turkeys, every songbird imaginable... it didn't affect their hunting. They can't climb trees, but I think the firemen are happy about that
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

6 was originally our limit. Now we're at 17!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Can't vote 'cause I'm not over my limit yet.

I guess personally, my limit would be 3 - 4, but I never had that much because so far, neither the space I had nor my financials allowed more than one or two cats. Well, I actually I would have enough space now, but not enough money; also, my landlords won't allow more than two cats.

Kirsten

2 then Skinny warmed his way into our hearts and lives

My limit was a firm ten, but then the Breeder needed homes , and the strays just kept on coming. I agree with Jen , on the furniture , but I never have visitors and my Furniture cost me nothing!If I had paid lots of money , I hope that I would feel the same way!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

our limit is one, set by Kelcee herself.

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

When I got married 10 years ago, I asked my husband to be if we could get a kitten. He said "no problem", when I found out that there were 4 kittens in this one litter, I asked if we could take in 2 (Tigger and Tony)...."sure". A year later, I called home and asked if we could possibly take in an abandoned kitten. This time it actually required some thinking on dear hubby's part but eventually he said "yes" to Smokey. Three years later Tucker shows up, four years later came Mystic and Cleo, a year after that was Abner and then Tobias.

So initally 2 was the limit but somehow I managed to have a grand total of 7 at one time. Now I'm down to five, but I'm sure that one of these days I will go to the back door and find another member of the family.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

LOL! I get the impression Cat lovers can't keep promises!!

My limit was 1 - mainly because I've only ever had one cat at a time - then of course Bagel and Ketchum were an item being brother and sister (you wouldn't know it sometimes when she spits and hisses at him!). Then when Dan missed them - he just had to come didn't he?

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

I'm figuring that it is a good thing that I already had my 2 when I got married last year, because my husband has never been a cat lover! And I truly thought my limit was one, as long as Mimi lived with me. She was here first and really dictated that decision. But I guess in her older age, she decided to allow Butter to live with us when he showed up at our door almost 3 years ago. She still hates him, but she does tolerate him.

I voted one, as it WAS my limit, originally!

Two

I can't wait for Noahsmommy to reply to this thread!
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

My limit was one for 10 years because Ripley was so wild and too much cat for me to handle but then he aged and settled down and I walked into a pet store with a animal rescue adoption center and... Two new cats later I guess my limit is now 3. I'm thinking about 4 but my husband says no way right now. Our house is really getting too crowded with three cats and a dog inside full time.

From Decker with Love

We had one cat when we moved into our home. Then came two strays that stuck together no matter what! Leroy and Missy. Missy has since gone to RB so then we had two. Feral mama came along and started dropping babies on our porch and somehow in three years we have grown to nine! My husband wasn't happy about three but he couldn't turn them away. Now he just coughs, chokes and spits alot while complaining about the hair! But all his gripes and all the blame he lays on me is a lie!!! The last three kittens were on the porch and over time I managed to catch two but the third one was not going down easy! That would be Pervy (short for Nervous Pervis). He is the one that spent several days in the freezing cold until he got her!] He really is a sucker but he has to stay macho and blame me! I know better!!! I'll have to share the capture of Pervy story one day. It was hilarious!
    I really have no limit!! I would take in nine more if I had room and money!!
    Last edited by catcrazylady; 11-10-2003 at 05:35 PM.