Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Rescue

Dog Rescue

My husband and I are both very interested in dog rescue. Does anyone have any good ideas that we can use when the time comes that we are able to fulfill our dream? Also, is there anyone out there that can tell me the technical difference between a rescue and a shelter? Thanks

You definitely should check out the dachshund rescue page. It is a wonderful breed! Here is a link: http://www.drna.org/

We work with Golden Retriever rescue out of
    Raleigh, NC. It is very rewarding, but can
    be heartbreaking as well. Please feel free
    to check out our web site that will give you
    information on rescue work etc.
    ncgoldenretrieverrescu.org/
    Any further questions, please feel free to
    contact me directly.

We work with Neuse River Golden Retriever Resue in NC. Check out their web site at www.ncgoldenretrieverrescu.org/. In 1999
    200 goldens were placed in great homes.
    Rescue work can be heartbreaking at times, but for the most part rewarding.

------------------

Originally posted by Kendall2:
    My husband and I are both very interested in dog rescue. Does anyone have any good ideas that we can use when the time comes that we are able to fulfill our dream? Also, is there anyone out there that can tell me the technical difference between a rescue and a shelter? Thanks
    Hi, My name is Kathy and I rescued a German Shepherd female about 4 years ago and she is great. I have been told that a shelter takes in all types of animals and a rescue specializes in specific types of breeds. i.e. I got Nikki from the Save A Shepherd Rescue Alliance, and I know for a fact that there are rescues for almost every breed of dog you could possibly want.

We're thinking about starting up a Boxer rescue. Most people don't realize that they are a very sensitive dog and need lots of time and attention. People don't think of them using that big old mouth of thier's to chew on everything to shoes to furniture. Mine chewed a hole in our bathroom wall when he was a pup! They're such silly little doggies.

I've got 7 dogs-all except 1 were rescues of some sort. Even pure bred fans should check out local shelters. One of my bassets and my newest, a minaiture doxie came from a shelter. My GSDobviously, obviously a pure bred, was found hit by a car laying on the side of the road. When I called his owners, they didn't want him back because he'd run away before and it was too expensive to keep retrieving him from the shelter. Jungle moved in with me and has never wandered-I guess he just needed a reason to stay home.Judy

When I had to put down Lentil, the miniature yorkie that we believe was a puppy mill mom who had outlived her usefulness, I decided to volunteer with the SPCA. That organization does not destroy animals like the City Shelter does, but will keep and work with an animal until it is adopted. You can volunteer to foster animals in your home, or if your city has limitations on the number you can have, you can work with the animals at the shelter to help them better fit into a new home.

We have our limit of critters with our daughter, the Llaso Apso, Peaches; the garage sale rescue mixed shephard, Chelsea; the rescue adoptee boxer, Goofus; the flea market gem, Samson, a 3 pound mix pomeranian/yorkie; and the SPCA adoptee cat, Aggie. Goofus and Samson think they are the same size, and play together all the time. Peaches is spoiled, and Chelsea keeps everyone in line. It's a fun household!

I also want to start a dog shelter, but unfortunateley I still live with my parents and I do not have a job. I think it is a good idea for a group of dedicated people to start an international rescue club and help save unwanted animals in their areas. Anyone interested?

To Kendall 2:
    To find out about rescue work you could go to www.YGRR.org, the New England Golden Retriever rescue that has rescued and found adoptive homes for more than 3000 dogs.

I just wanted to say thank you to the owner of Lilly the dog for today. I am so happy she has foung a home to stay. Thank you who ever you are.

FOUND

check out www.hua.org

My neighbor got a boxer from the boxer rescue society of michigan. I went with her to get it and when we got back we took her inside and gave her toys and a bed and all kinds of stuff!! She hardly knew what to think!! It was great. She had never been pamperd or spoiled and she was so skinny you could litterly wrap your hand around her waist!! She also had kennal cough and a parasite and she was pregnate!!! She is doing a lot better now her puppies are six weeks old and she has become a lot fatter! She is doing great and she is such a sweetie!!! I love her lots!!!I stongly sugguest rescue you really help that animal a lot!!!!

My friend put one of her cocker spaniels into cocker spaniel rescue. They did it because they thought somebody else could give him more atteintion.

RACHEL