Thread: SHOULD I FIX MY DOG, LILLY.?

Smithfield, Rhode Island, United States of America

SHOULD I FIX MY DOG, LILLY.?

i dont know if i should fix my dog. i mean shes a purebreed dog and all, but wat if she mingls with the wrong dog, and UGLY. please help me figure out if i should fix my dog

You should absolutely get a dog spayed if you are not going to breed her. We have already had a big discussion on this topic - see http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/Forum6/HTML/000052.html .

I would definitely suggest that you have your female dog spayed. There are so many unwanted pets out there, that I am convinced that we need to do everything possible to avoid accidental pregnancies. And, my vet told me that the earlier I did it, the better as it also helps the female dogs to avoid certain types of cancer.
    Hope you go ahead and do it sooner than later.

I would definitely suggest that you have your dog spayed if you are not breeding her. There are already too many unwanted, unloved puppies in this world. Also it will be better for the dog's health.

Smithfield, Rhode Island, United States of America
    well the thing is, i want to breed her, but my mom does not. we dont know any good places we can actualy trust to real pure breed beagles, but ill see how much itll be to fix her

I was also just thinking of getting my dog spayed. She just turned three, I was not going to get her spayed, and I'm for sure never going to breed her. Is it alright to spay a three year old ? Is there any health problems spaying a dog at three years of age ? I have just been reading the chances of an unspayed dog getting cancer in the mammory glands if she is not spayed and not being bred. I would die if anything ever happened to her so I don't want to take any chances. I think I will call my vet and talk to her about it :0) But I still would like to hear what you think

[This message has been edited by ilovehounds (edited February 26, 2001).]

3 years old is a fine age to get spayed, but avoid getting her spayed while she is in heat, or within the next 2 weeks after her heat. Some vets will do spay dogs regardless of whether or not the dog is in heat, but there's extra risk and alot of extra bleeding and longer recovery. Just words of advise. As long as she's not in heat you should have no problems.