Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [B]Getting House insurance with dogs on the X list[/B]

Originally posted by ParNone
    I wonder with one of the protection breeds how far a CGC
    title would go with them, because it's one thing to pass a CGC
    test in a neutral area vs how that same dog might react towards
    anybody coming into their territory (ie. lil' kid jumping the
    fence to retrieve a ball from your backyard).

Par...
    That's a goodpoint. I know when we took Cincy through the class, there was a woman in class with a Rotty/Dobe mix that was getting the CGC title in hopes that it would make it easier to find an apartment that would allow her dog. She was planning a move to California. It would be interesting to know if it did help her.

When we took Sadie and Spot through the class there was only 2 other dogs in it....a GSD and an Am Staff. I know the owman with the Am Staff also had a nd one at home....I wonder if she has had an isurance problems. If she joins our therapy group I'll have to ask her.

I also read the article in Dog Fancy, it's in the December issue, on page 13.
    The list includes Airedale, Akita, Malamute, Pit Bull, Chow, Dalmation, Doberman, German Shepherd, Great Dane, Presa Canario (which is the dog someone mentioned that they couldn't remember the name of), Rottweiler, Husky, Staffie, wolf hybrids, and any mixes of these breeds.

The article states that the insurance companies have every right to do this. I know our insurance (which is State Farm) says no Dobermans, Rotties, or Pit Bulls (we have let to have told them about Jada). It gives you a few tips on what to do also.

I am taking these directly from the magazine article, as written by Gregory Dennis, J.D.

1) Contact your insurer to see if you can retain your coverage. For instance, if your dog is neutered or spayed; remains in a fenced yard or goes out only when leashed; has successfully completed socialization classes and obedience training, has an AKC Canine Good Citizen certificate; and has no history of biting or attacking, ask your agent to visit your home. He our she should examine your fencing and observe your dog's temperament and social skills, and talk to neighbors about your dog. Then, provide documentation of the above, and ask if the company will issue a rider covering your dog, possibly with a higher premium.

2) Shop around for other companies willing to issue a policy. If you find an insurance company in another state, confirm with your state government insurance agency that the company is authorized to sell liability insurance in your state.

3) Ask if your insurance company will continue to insure you while excluding your dog from the policy. (This is potentially risky. If you do not have liability insurance, an injury happens, and a judgment is entered in favor of the injured party, then he or she can collect on the judgment by garnishing your wages, bank accounts, property, and assets. If you live in a town that mandates insurance, you may be subject to a municipal court fine, jail time, and/or seizure and/or destruction of your uninsured dog.)

4) Before getting a dog, check with your insurer to see if the breed is excluded. If so, ask if some exception would permit you to get coverage (such as the actions similar to those described in number 1 above.

5) Consider contacting your state insurance agency and legislative representatives to report your attempts to get liability insurance covering your dog. Request changes in the state's insurance law so that owners of so-called "banned" breeds can get coverage.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

When I bought my house I first applied for homeowners insurance with Geico (which is where I have my auto insurance) but they turned me down due to Leo's breeds (Rott/Chow). I ended up getting homeowners insurance from Nationwide and although I have to pay a slightly higher premium - there was not any issue of not covering me.

The thing I wonder about homeowners insurance is do they factor in the statistic on how homes with dogs are less likely to get burglarized?

The thing I wonder about homeowners insurance is do they factor in the statistic on how homes with dogs are less likely to get burglarized?

Good point, but I think they are more concerned about the biting issue and mauling.
    Which brings another good issue to mind-what about the laws designed to protect people against dog bites - In our area, if someone trespasses in your property and your dog bites them-the dog can be considered an endangerment.
    It depends on who trespassed, and what signs you have posted, and the dogs history of course.
    But it is still unfair, because every dog is different when they are in their own home and you are not there.
    I have a friend who's shepherd bit a teenager because he jumped the fence to retrieve a ball. He didn't really "bite" him because he didn't do any major damage-some scratches from his teeth and maybe a bruise-but he knocked him down. (let's face it -if he wanted to hurt him0he would have done major damage)
    But the dog was confiscated and there was sorta a trial-the dog was given a "mark" against him and the people were warned that if he recieved another-he could be PTS.
    They had "beware of dog" signs up, but because it was a "child" they said they couldn't be sure he could read the signs.
    What a load!!

Well as for what insurance company we have, we have State Farm (for the last 20 years).
    No, I've never told them that we have dogs...they never asked, so I never told. But I can say that our insurance man has come on different occasions & seen that we had a rot & chow (a few years back) and never said a word.
    So until I joined at PT I never knew of this being a problem

And as for husky being on that list

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I don't know if my insurance man (a friend of our family) knows I have two GSDs, I had a GSD mix that bite an East Ohio Gas Man. I called him and told him, he said that an invited person that gets bitten, I will be coved for the 1st bite, then I get dropped if there is a 2nd. Well the Gas Man never reported anything, so he said that didn't even count. (Toby.. the GSD Mix that did this now lives with my parents)

But he did say as far as an person on my property that is NOT invited and gets bitten, as long as you have BOTH a No Tresspassing sign AND a Beware of Dog sign you are covered.

But each city, state, insurance companies.. etc..... they can all have different laws and stuff. So just as long as everyone know what they have to do, and how to be covered just incase.... then all is well!!!

All I have to say is that is someone comes in my (fenced in) yard with out us knowing it..... there crazy!! Buddy and Sierra are (just like there breed) SOOOOOOO protective .... I have to put them in a pen when we have people over!! (Sierra's a butt nipper...just ask my mom )
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome