Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: I feel evil

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    I have been spanked and i dont think it is bad, I dont think smaking a dog on the but is bad, BUt I am totally against hitting a dog or any animal is the face, it makes them affraid of you.. that is what gets to me..

Yes and I totally agree! But it just seems that a lot of people say things that aren't the truth. I have known many people that come across as perfect pet owners online and the moment I meet them the first thing out of their mouth is "You stupid Dog", or they immdediatley smack them so hard the dog yelps in pain. If the dog makes noise it's obviously hurting....
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

yes it does.. I know for a fact that if I got hit in the face every time I was in trouble, I would flinch when somone went near my head.. I know that the same thing goes for a dog.. if you hit a dog in the face it will eventually turn on you if it is done allt he time.. if a dog has been hit in the face alot and then a child comes up to it to pet it on the head, it will be affraid and might lash out.. give me one tiny bit of proff that makes sence as to why a dog wouldent be affraid after being hit in the face!!!
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I don't think a tap on the nose goes far at all. A slap would. But a light tap...
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by luckies4me
    Yes and I totally agree! But it just seems that a lot of people say things that aren't the truth. I have known many people that come across as perfect pet owners online and the moment I meet them the first thing out of their mouth is "You stupid Dog", or they immdediatley smack them so hard the dog yelps in pain. If the dog makes noise it's obviously hurting....
    I know!! you shouldent like beat an animal, just give it a ferm tap on the butt when it has done somthing bad, then show it what is the right thing to do, and reward it... At least that is my method of training, but who knows maybe hitting a dog in the face when it is mad works for some ppl ..

yes it does.. I know for a fact that if I got hit in the face every time I was in trouble, I would flinch when somone went near my head.. I know that the same thing goes for a dog.. if you hit a dog in the face it will eventually turn on you if it is done allt he time.. if a dog has been hit in the face alot and then a child comes up to it to pet it on the head, it will be affraid and might lash out.. give me one tiny bit of proff that makes sence as to why a dog wouldent be affraid after being hit in the face!!!

Who exactly are you replying to?

Of course the dog is going to flinch, he thinks he's going to be hit.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    I don't think a tap on the nose goes far at all. A slap would. But a light tap...
    I think tapping and hitting are totally different things, tapping doesnt hurt it is just a warning and dogs dont like it..

I would just like to add an example...

Right now my great dane Baby is going through a nipping stage where she will give a small bite when she is licking you or when you try to pet her head. We tapp her on the nose and fermly say "NO BITE BABY" when she does that..

Originally posted by luckies4me
    Who exactly are you replying to?

Of course the dog is going to flinch, he thinks he's going to be hit.
    rachnjam27

I think tapping and hitting are totally different things, tapping doesnt hurt it is just a warning and dogs dont like it..
    I agree. I tap Molly on the nose, whenever she starts to act up. She hates it, but it doesn't hurt her, not like a hit in the face.

I'm basing my statements on common sense. Dogs are much more intelligent than you people seem to think. They know when they are being punished, they are aware that they have done something wrong.

Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
    I agree. I tap Molly on the nose, whenever she starts to act up. She hates it, but it doesn't hurt her, not like a hit in the face.
    Exactly! I think people may have jumped to the conclusion and make it seem like she beats her dog. Everyone makes mistakes, we hopefully learn from them and move on.

I could never have ever hit Morgan, ever. But yes I did tapp her on the nose, and she listened when I did that. Forunately she was a VERY good, sweet natured dog who came already trained (besides her running outside in the street) and knew almost all of her commands and caught on quickly and knew what was right and what was wrong.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
    Yeah, Timber's gotten a few taps on the nose when I catch her with something in her mouth that isn't supposed to be. One time, I literally sat there for like ten minutes trying to pry a bucket out of Timber's mouth. A tap fixed it all. But even a tap on the nose won't make her let go of Pedro's tennis balls. He has to wait an entire day to get them back.
    I've been BOO'd!

I thought it was bad to get Shelties shaved? I know for Collies it is, it totally ruins their coat and it grows back abnormaly.
    I think someone mentioned this..the undercoat protects from the cold and the heat. I would never completely shave my shelties unless the matts on them were that bad (but that'll never happen..with all the grooming I keep up with). ANYWAYS...

Promise to never do it again. I've done it once to kai before. I didn't hit him on the face but I got really mad and got really upset at him. Kai still has his moments but I now know to keep it all bottled up inside me until he's not around and punch a pillow or something. Pets don't understand why we hit, scream or do the things we do sometimes. The next time sometime like this happens, take a deep breath in and think about it calmly. Think, will I regret this later? That ALWAYS stops me from doing something stupid.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I was told once that tapping on the nose could damage their senses in their nose.

I prefer to tap them on the butt.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

rachnjam27,
    I dont think you understand somthing called "animal abuse".. If you hit a dog in the face they will react in a bad way over time, it is simple psychology, negitive reinforce ment isnt the way to go when dealing with pets.. ...

Originally posted by Kfamr
    I was told once that tapping on the nose could damage their senses in their nose.

I prefer to tap them on the butt.
    what if you have a thick coated dog breed?? tapping on the but doesnt do anything.. even with my great dane she doesnt notice she is too buisy thinking about everyhting eles.

Tapping hard ont he nose all the time might be a bad thing, but a light tap, meh it isnt bad..