Thread: How does he do this?

How does he do this?

I have a tabby who greets me in the alley at my parking spot every day for the past 5-6 years and then walks me into my apartment. Granted, he's there between 5-10 at night but still, how does he know to do this. Are cats just programmed like that? I'd love to hear some similar experiences.

Hi! Welcome to Pet Talk!! There are lots of dogs and cats that do that - it's an unexplained phenomenon! Mine don't though.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

I don't have any real advice on this, I agree that animals just have a great unexplained time clock. Hopefully, one of the more experienced people will have a better explination.

I just wanted to say welcome to PT.
    You should make a welcome thread in General or Cat General and Say hi.

Maybe even post some pictures of your babies.*hinthint*

We love pictures.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

Welcome to Pet Talk

Wow, I have just read your profile 5 tabby cats, you sure like tabbies.

Well so do I (and Blacks, Tuxedo, Calicos, Orangies etc)

I am owned by seven cats, the six cats in my signature and Orangie new boy 'Sandy', whom I need to add to my signature.

PS. My Georgie does the same, he often is waiting in the flowerbed at the front of the house. He calls to me to come and pick him up and cuddle him.

If he thinks I am too late he marches up to me shouting at me. People who walk past, look at him to try and figure out why this mad cat is making such an inhuman sound

Cats, you have got to love them.
    Last edited by PayItForward; 11-17-2003 at 03:46 PM.

I'dl love to post somse pictures but, sorry, I don't know how to do it. I've just never made myself learn. I don't even know how to work this site or send messsages between people.

For a photo Tutorial, listen to Phred

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...?threadid=7406

Originally posted by PayItForward
    For a photo Tutorial, listen to Phred

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...?threadid=7406
    Phred is good, and knows all. It is a very helpful post.

If you have any question, feel free to post them in one of the forums.

Also, feel free to use the PM(Private Messaging) function. The easiest way is to find a post from the person, like this one.

Then at the top of the post you will see a link with PM in it. Click that and it will tak you to a screen. It will already have a user name in it, and then put in a subject line and then fill in your message. Then click send message.

That is about it. There are other ways to send PM's, but that will get you started.

Like I said, if you have any questions, please ask.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

Dear Kathy:

I am responding to your e-mail about "why my cat does this." I used to have five cats at one time and when my husband and I would return with our 2 kids, they would all be waiting at the top step. My husband and I would call them "the welcoming committee."

Now I have only two kitties, and they seem to know when my hubbie is coming home. This amazes me because he comes home at different times in the evening.

Sincerely,

Miss Tobina
    miss tobina

Welcome to pet talk.

Growing up, I had a cat that would walk me to my bus stop every day. If she didn't have kittens (my parents didn't believe in getting an animal fixed) she would wait at the bus stop for me all day long. There was one time I called my dad because I was sick, he came to my school picked me up and we went home, we drove past my bus stop and there was bitster. I made my dad pull over as I opened the door to call her, she cried and looked down the street. If she had kittens she always returned home to take care of them then a few minutes before my bus would get there she would walk there. My mom stayed home from work one day when I walked in the door she told me she knew I would be home in a few minutes because Bit took off to the bus stop. I have no clue how she always knew when I would be home but for some reason she always did.

Katie

Thank you soo much for your personal stories. These gorgeous creatures are just amazing!

My Eddie is the best alarm clock ever. I don't know how in the world she knows it's time to get up, but at 5:30 in the morning she wakes me up by getting in my face. If I don't get out of bed right away, she rubs up against me and then if I still don't get up she bites me, but not hard. At 5:30 in the morning nothing will get you out of bed faster than a bitten nose!

What else is weird is she knows when it's the weekend because of my husband's schedule. He works overnights, and somehow she knows that if he's there in the morning (which means he's off work) she doesn't have to get me up, because she doesn't bother me on the weekends. Lately, though, he's been working weekends, so he's not there, and at 5:30 on Saturday and Sunday she's there!

I've always wondered how she knew it was time. It's a little strange....

I wish I was as lucky as you. See, another one of my cats, Buff, has been doing this particular thing for about 2 years. Between 3-5 in the am, he wakes up, gets onto my nightstand and begins to bat at some papers papers and menus stuck in a cup. Since I don't want everything flying across the room, I have to get up and open some cans of food for my gang. Since the first day he tried this on me, he has done it all but one morning. I know, I could move the papers but then he'll bat me.

I love him madly but it is beyond annoying since it's changed my sleeping patterns but I've adjusted.

That internal clock just amazes me endlessly!