Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A beautiful bully just moved next door

A beautiful bully just moved next door

I have 5 sweet male tabbies and a beautiful but very mean long haired tabby just moved into the apartment next door and wants to fight my guys. Do you think with a little time and socialization this bully will calm down or am I in for trouble?

I'm hopeful but worried since my boys are indoor/outdoor cats and this could change the wonderful dynamic we have going now.

thanks for your input.

Kathy

Is the new cat neutered ? I ask as most agressive cats are not.

What a magnificent array of cats you have!

I'll ask but I'm sure he is spayed. His mom warned me that he's a fighter and he's been in my place before but I thought world war 3 was going to erupt at 6 this morning and I was going to be in the middle of it.

Do I flick water on him? When I put shoes on he seemed to get a little scared and slowly left. Sad he's like this because he is just gorgeous. Long white fur with a few big black sploches.

I'm just hoping he'll change.

I'm not sure what to suggest.

As long as he is neutered, they'll not fight to the death. (Sadly intact cats do sometimes)

As he is new, he and your cats will have to decide on a pecking order and a timetable for use of all common paths though the garden etc.

I would be tempted to let them sort it out themselves. Unless there is injuries.

There is little point, in you throwing water etc, that just stops the fighting when you watch. They'll still be at it the moment you are NOT watching.

Best of luck, keep us updated.

PS. Thanks for the compliment from my array of cats

o.k. it' s 4 days later and we've had at least one, maybe 2, visits from the nasty cat and so far, we're o.k. The first visit, wednesday am, almost erupted but nasty exited first and i'm not sure if he was over last night and escaped.

i agree, this is just a day to day thing and hopefully they'll work it out. I''m sure my guys will avoid him outside and hopefully he'll smarten up and know that he can't invade their space inside my place and he'll either stay away or be less aggressive.

i've love them all to be friends and i'm sure that will happen eventually when mean cat see's his ways don't work.

what do i count on your bed(?), 7. I just love the variation in color.

thanks kathy

If it's been four days and he is occasionally visiting I would say that he is feeling things out. He may just be uptight about his move and being in a new place. Hopefully when he gets used to his new home he will settle down and become friends with your babies. It's hard to tell because sometimes they just stay a bully! I hope friendship is soon coming. It sure makes things more peaceful!

i love that we all have our very own petting zoo's. Your cats are gorgeous but unlike my shorthaired tabbies, you must do alot of grooming. Bravo.

Well, his mom has warned me repetedly that he's very mean and a bully and a fighter, so his socialization might take some time but i'm trying to be positive as I want them all to get along and I know that sometimes just that socialization can change the nature of cats. My 5 and the neighbor's 3 or 4 that also hang out are so mellow that we haven't had any trouble in the neighborhood. But if someone comes in and really riles things up and it gets noisy at night in our little beverly hills neighborhood, I know we'll all be in trouble. I'm not supposed to have 5 cats as I think 3 is the legal limit but it's never been a problem and I'll be heartbroken if this new addition changes the chemistry of our little cat heaven. We are unique and I know there are neighbors that think we're a little crazy and wouldn't mind making trouble for us so i just want things to stay quiet and easy.

thanks for the advise.

kathy

I hope it all goes well. It sounds like a wonderful place to live. I too have a neighbor that is cat crazy and it is nice to not be totally alone in your neighborhood. I hope this bully doesn't start trouble for you. Fingers and paws crossed!

Thanks for the compliment on my brood. Yes, we groom constantly! We only have 2 short hairs in the group. I'm very fortunate that when I pull out the brush they all come running. They love it! My biggest problem is trying to move most of them out of the way so I can do one at a time

Originally posted by catcrazylady
    My biggest problem is trying to move most of them out of the way so I can do one at a time
    I really think we need a picture of that!

Kathy, good luck with the bully. Hopefully he just needs to learn him place in the hiearchy and things will settle down. Please keep us updated.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Originally posted by kathy
    what do i count on your bed(?), 7. I just love the variation in color.
    Yep, seven, George, Milly, Milo, Treacle, Bramble, Tigs & Sandy.

catcrazylady.......
    Luckily for us only one has longhair, how do you find the time to groom 7 cats daily.
    Bramble we have to groom daily or she knots up and the others we groom when we can.

Here's an update. Things are not good. Major terror this morning before I left for work. Kitty(that is nasty cat's name) came in and proceeded to terrorize 3 of my cats, one at a time. He really wants to fight and it scares me so I scream too. I finally doused him with enough water that he left my place but it wasn't easy. The who thing took about 15 minutes.

I'm trying to be fair but I think at this point I'm going to have to ask the new neighbor to keep her cat inside. I heard yelling outside my bathroom window this am so I'm sure he was going after some other cat (mine were inside at the time) and then he came thru my window to pay us a visit. Other neighbors will complain and call the animal control office and I'll be in trouble. I can't let this crazy cat ruin our wonderful environment and terrorize my adorable old men.

Whatdayathink?

Kathy

What about ringing a cat behaviourist and explaining the situation and ask for some professional advice ?

I don't think asking her to keep her cat inside would be helpful, to keeping communication open between you and your neighbour.

It IS early days yet but I feel professional advice is the way to go.

PS. Ring some local shelters most have links to behaviourists etc. I found a feline behaviourist who gave us free advice over the phone via our local RSCPA

Good Luck and I hope things improve.

Good idea. I'm calling my vet as I write and they've just given me that name of one. I'd love that job!

I have other neighbor cats who come in but they know how to work around my cats and not disrupt the territorial thing.

I just don't want to upset the wonderful environment we have so I'll be calling right now and let you know what happens.

thanks, Kathy

Dr. Behavior called me right back and told me, before I could even really explain the promblem, that he couldn't help me. He told me to look at his website and the only thing I can figure out is that it had to do with the fact that the cats don't live together. He was almost unpleasant and quick without explaining just why he couldn't help me.

I'll figure something out and have a nice long talk with my neighbor since she might have some thoughts and might be willing to help. I think it's going to involve her seeking out help, since her cat is the aggressor. Maybe that was the problem with this behavior therapist.

kathy

I would keep ringing around until you find a behaviourist, who will actually listen to you.

No offense intended but you & me have no idea what to do, what will your neighbour know ?

Maybe someone else might post some advice.

Keep us updated.