Thread: New vaccine

New vaccine

Star went to the vet today for her annual checkup, vaccines, etc. While there, the vet asked if I would like her to receive a new vaccine; a hybrid of the Dlpp (distemper) vaccine. Here, where we have many ponds, bogs, marshes etc., the dogs often stop for a drink when walking in the woods. Last year, 2 dogs died from drinking stagnated water in our state park which was infected with a deadly bacteria. In the past year a new vaccine was developed against this deadly bacteria. I let Star receive it as she is always into everything. Has anyone else heard of this vaccine or illness' contracted from drinking pond water? Please be careful when allowing doggies to drink from ponds, etc!

Tatsxxx11,

I have not heard of the vacine,
    but I do know that dogs/people can get
    an illness called Giardiasis.

I believe it is caused by feces that
    contaminates/grows in stagnet water?

Don't know KYS. Unfortunately, I wasn't the one who took her for her check up and my husband didn't ask the questions I would have. I'm talking to her today to get the full scoop. Last year, when the poor pups died, it was thought it was from algae, not a bacteria! Will let you know what I hear and will ask her about "giardiasis" as you mentioned. Was also wondering what link it had to "distemper," as the vaccine is a hybrid variant of that vaccine.

[This message has been edited by tatsxxx11 (edited December 12, 2000).]

If anyone's interested, got the scoop on the vaccine. Apparently the illness, whose name, of course, has now slipped my mind, was traditionally vaccinated for up until 4 or 5 years ago. The illness is caused by a bacteria found in the urine of many "wild" animals including deer, racoons, coyotes, bear, etc. The bacteria laden urine pools in stagnant water, and is transmitted if the dog drinks from the pool, puddle or licks his/hers wet paws. Sort of what you described KYS, although I think the name of the condition started with "M?" Anyway, they stopped giving the vaccine because it had become ineffectual, had some mild/moderate side effects and because the incidence of this illness had decreased. Now with an increase in the incidence, a newer, stronger vaccine with little or no side effects has been developed showing great success. My vet suggested any dog that forages, hikes in woods, lives play near "water," etc. should be vaccinated. I thinks it's Dlpp2, a variant of the distemper vaccine.