Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connor's first day

Connor's first day

Hi guys,

I brought Connor home at around 10am this morning. (Yes, I have decided to call him Connor - thanks for all the input and advice)

I immediately put him in his room, with food, water, new litterbox, new scratchpost (with catnip) and a new blanket.

During the day I have been rubbing them both with the same towel. Ally has been lurking outside Connor's room, and occasionally hissing.

They have also seen each other through a glass door (Connor was totally uninterested, Ally went CRAZY). Hissing, growling, scratching..............

I now have Connor back in his room, and Ally is sulking in the kitchen. She will not let me near her, and has been hissing and swatting at me! (Thanks goodness I clipped her nails last night).

ONE HUGE CONCERN - I think Connor may be deaf. When I go into his room, and he has his back to me, he does not react at all until I touch him. I will test my theory later with a clicker and a squeaky toy, and let you know what happens.

I plan to leave Connor in his room for the rest of today, and start with the towel rubbing etc tomorrow again!

I'll keep you updated!

Of course all your advice is appreciated!!

Julie

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

Sounds like Sara's experiences with Edwina and Eddie. But look where they are today - not exactly best buddies but good colleagues

I hope that Connor may not be deaf -maybe this was also a consequence of the poor guy being abused.

I am so glad that you took him in.

However princess Ally should get some extra treats to show her she's still in charge

WHAT?!?!?! You got another cat? Am I missing something? Why don't I know of this good news?

CONGRATS Julie! How'd you get your husband to agree?

I hope everything turns out ok. Now we need pics!

PCB you missed the other thread yesterday with pics. (You will have to go and look for it, as I haven't yet figured out how to post a link to a thread (SHHHHH - don't tell anyone I work in IT)

Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
    PCB you missed the other thread yesterday with pics. (You will have to go and look for it, as I haven't yet figured out how to post a link to a thread (SHHHHH - don't tell anyone I work in IT)
    You just copy and paste the URL.......that's all. It automatically turns into a link.

But I found the thread and can't see the pics yet because imagestation is down. Will come back to see later.

WELCOME CONNOR!!!!

Julie, I'm so happy for you and for Connor. He will have such a wonderful home. Given time Connor and Ally will do just fine. Keep doing what you are doing with the towel, that will help quite a bit.

I hope Connor was just in his own world when you came into see him, but he could possibly be deaf.

Congratulations again.

Meg

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Oh, Julie, it does take time for them to get used to each other. Hopefully yours will do better than mine!!!

But I have to tell you that last night, as it started turning much cooler here, I found that my two forgot their "hate" for each other and both piled up in the recliner with me while I was watching my favorite Wed. night television shows. Mimi was on my lap and Butter was wrapped around my feet. There were only a few low growls from Mimi, reminding Butter who is boss!!

Good luck with Connor and Ally!!!

YAY!!!

I am so glad Connor is at his new furrever home!!

I am so excited for him.. and you too!!!

Ally will come around eventually.. it helps some if you crack the door a little and let them see each other every once in a while too.

I can't imagine him being deaf (if he is) will be a big concearn.. i guess...

either way he is one LUCKY kitty to have such a great home now! CAN'T WAIT TO SEE MORE PICTURES!!

Give Conner and Ally a BIG HUG for me!!!
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

What color is Connor? If he is white , with blue eyes , then it is qiute common for him to be deaf! Otherwise ,it could have been the afct that he was outside all that time. Best wishes and may they soon be the Best Of Pals!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I was going to ask the same questions about his coloring.

Well, if its anything, Rocky often ignores me. He's not deaf, just disinterested

Congrats on Connor, they'll get along, ti just takes some time.

Connor is a Russian Blue so it can't probably be genetic.

Welcome to your wonderful new home Connor! We look forward to seeing loads more pictures of you!

My Mum's cat totally ignores her when she comes into a room. She was also concerned that he was deaf because he didn't react until she was right up against him. He isn't deaf though, he does react to noise, he is just extremely laid back.

Hugs to Ally and Connor.

Welcome to Conner!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again everyone!

Connor continues to howl like he is being tortured! Ally continued to throw hissy-fits at everyone and everything, although she is now largely totally ignoring the door to Connor's room (has she been PM'ing Edwina for advice, I wonder!!!).

I rubbed them again with the towel, Connor couldn't care less, Ally hates it (although when she fell asleep on the FAR side of my bed I draped it over her like a blanket, and she didn't immediately move it away when she woke up).

Tomorrow I will open the door to the room slightly and wedge it, and give them a bit of time to "chat" to each other.

All I can say is THANK GOODNESS FOR PETTALK. If I hadn't know all this intro stuff from you, I would probably just have thrown them in a room and joped for the best!!

I have been looking at some websites on Russian Blues. I am pretty convinced that Connor is one. He has a very unusual (to me) double coat, it almost feels like velvet which has grown a bit long!

A couple of other things I noticed about Connor:

1) He has some very subtle shading on his fur - not solid gray as I first thought (as with the black cats, it will be interesting to look at his "negative")

2) He has one claw on each foot which does not retract properly. (I was initially worried about an infectiom, but I assume it's unlikely as there is ONE consistantly on each foot. I suppose it must be hereditary????

3) He has a tiny little white patch of fur on his belly, but does not like to be touched there. (I tried and got the "bunny kicks").

4) Just like his sister, he LOVES champagne honey ham from our deli!

I am going to bed now - I think I will have a long day ahead of me tomorrow with these two, so I need some rest!!

PS - I know you all want photos. My husband left on a trip yesterday and took the camera with him. I have been making some video, and my son's friend brought his digital camera round today, so as soon as I have loaded the required software I'll post some more pics!!

Thanks again everyone!

Julie

Ally Cat's Mommy

I am very glad, Julie, that you have been able to give Connor a forever home. I hope that he and Ally will have a friendly chat without too much hissing. I also hope Imagestation is back soon, so I can see his pictures.
    Pets for both of you, Connor and Ally.

Julie, I was just able to see the pictures on your other thread.
    Connor is beautiful.
    Last edited by Steffi N; 10-23-2003 at 07:04 PM.
    Steffi and Lovable