Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: rawhide bonesw

rawhide bonesw

Hello, I am just wondering if anyone else has lost a dog from choking on rawhide bones I have been talking with a representative from one outfit that sells these things he told me in the ten years of being in the business he has never heard of that happening
    I am going to prove him wrong and my dogs death will not be for nothing thanks Marlene

------------------

I have not actually heard of a dog chocking on rawhide bones before. But, in the contract I had to sign when I purchased Tessa from her breeder there was a clause making me agree never to give her rawhide bones. The reason being, as they break off pieces and swallow them the rawhide can swell and choke them. I'm so sorry to hear you lost your dog this way! How heartbreaking!

My vet says that rawhide is ok until it gets really soaked with slobber, then it gets soft and the dog can bite off large pieces which don't digest easily. If your dog really likes rawhide, get the big tightly wrapped ones and take it away from him when it gets too soft, let it dry out before giving it back.
    My doggie likes nylabones or those big sterilized beef bones, and they're safe.

I have learned a very hard lesson because I watched this happen I have never I repeat never heard of this happening before I always heard the stuff disolves but the vet who did the neoscopy said it does not if you feed enough of it to a dog it will eventually starve to death I would like to get enough people who has had this happen or even heard of it happening to help me get this stuff labeled as being dangerous

------------------

Becareful when giving ANY bone or toy to your dog.
    Nylabones I've found to be terrific with rats! A big hit, and they keep their teeth down. The rats gnaw or scrape off small pieces and they can easily eat them. I gave my dog one once, and she broke of large piece off and tried to swallow it, so she no longer gets those. Larger beef bones you also need to becareful of, because they can probably do the same thing with them (never given one to my dog, so I don't know). The only thing I give my dog to chew on are regular dog biscuits, probably the safest thing out there. If you have a problem keeping your dog occupied, try a "buster cube". Yes, they are noisy, and yes, it takes a little "training" to teach them to use it, but in the long run I think it's worth it. There are also "Kong" toys. These I have no idea about, I'm allergic to latex therefor I can't handel them, therefor my doggy doesn't get them. Buster cubes I've found to be the best thing, just becareful because when they push them around (or pounce on like my terrier mix does!) they could push them right into something glass, and it's kaput! Shattered glass everywhere!
    Use your best judgement when buying any chew or toy for your dog, think of the pros and the cons, and good luck to you all and your pets!

~Giglez

I guess everyone will think I'm a terrible pet owner but I've been giving Cody a 4in rawhide bone for years. I gave him one as a treat years ago and he goes crazy if he doesn't get one every night-he actually goes to where I keep them and sits. He doesn't always finish it but sleeps next to it and carries it around. I promptly toss it when he drops it, but he has NEVER choked on one and I also keep an eye on him and toss the mushy pieces he drops. He HAS to be in our den while we watch tv, so luckily someone is always there, but now I'm really worried and hope my luck doesn't run out. It's time to try a substitute. He's so habitual, it's gonna be a hard habit to break.

OK, I think it's safe to say that NO dog toy is 100% safe. I said before that I give my dog nylabones and beef bones, but I know that she is not an aggressive chewer and unlikely to bite off whole chunks. So I feel relatively safe giving her those, since she needs something to chew. A dog can choke on anything, so I think the most important point here is that we have to examine their toys regularly for wear and watch their chewing habits. My heart goes out to anyone who has lost a dog this way.

It was horrible and my dog was by no means small he was a beautiful all white arctic wolf/husky/shepherd weighed about one twenty I really miss him I would give just about anything to go back in time and stop what happened he was only ten months old and just starting to act a little more mature the only reason I was giving him these miserable things were his adult teeth were coming in and he was chewing everything even pieces of wood guess I should have stuck two knuckle bones

------------------

LilyMarlene, you poor thing, my heart just bleeds for you. I CAN NOT EVEN IMAGINE what you are going through. Your sad story really opened my eyes about those damn wicked bones so I thank you for that. I gave one to Cody last night, he didn't eat it right away so I took it away and tossed him his new huge double squeaky toys to distract him and then he got a milkbone, so I am desperately trying to break his habit, He's a 100 lb gr/yl so sometimes I think he's indestructable. You are in my prayers-keep in touch with all your friends on PetTalk..Karen xoxo

those treats are ok and the vet told me that pigs ears are ok I don't think I would ever chance even those at least the real knuckle bones I would feel a little better about but would still watch like a hawk

------------------

Marlene,

My heart breaks for you. The breeder my parents got their dog from when I was a child made them promise to NEVER give her rawhide.

When my hubby and I got our first puppy, Jerry Bear, we did some research, and decided it was ok as long as we watched him. The rawhide, however, made his poop really soft, and he tore through the bones so quickly, we couldn't watch closely enough. We decided to stop giving them to him, and now he only gets Kongs (the best toys made for aggressive chewers). He also gets a giant beef bone every couple of months (that's how long it takes for Jerry Bear to chew it down).

I hope you get another dog, one that can not only replace the hole in your heart, but can preserve the memory of your lost love. There are many puppies/dogs in pounds and shelters who need a second chance.

God Bless,

Rhonda

Thanks Rhonda, I am waiting for my pup now I also found one of my baby's brothers I get to go see him tomorrow the pup I am getting is a female so I plan to breed her with nook nooks brother sometimes I miss him so much I still cry he was the sweetest dog and just starting to get out of the chewing stage make sure you warn every one you know about these bones I figure if I can't get to the company word of mouth will work so every one at least knows the chances they take giving these things to their dogs I plan on getting in a few chat rooms for pets to, any and all help I appreciate. Marlene

I had never given a thought to a rawhide bone being dangerous. One day my standard poodle, Whitney, started choking. I opened her mouth and saw a piece of rawhide stuck in her throat. I pulled it out and threw it away immediately. It was difficult to say the least because it was slimy at that point. I threw away all of her rawhide bones and never bought one again!!!!!

Yes this stuff is really dangerous and it needs a warning label I have had a few dogs in my life and gave this stuff to them thank god it didn't kill them I had no clue how bad this stuff was until that day, I talked to the vet after he did a neoscopy and he told me even if I had got him there there would have not much he could have done either this whole ordeal took all of three minutes and I at that point had no idea what was wrong I thought he had been poisoned till the day I die I will never forget how he cried and the helpless feeling I had so please tell everyone you know about these things. Marlene

Bumping...