Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: rawhide bonesw

Well good morning all I can't believe I did this but I went out and bought my puppy a buddy he is all white and cute we had a few tense moments but all in all she loves him already even sharing her bed my husband thinks I have really lost my mind but I felt guilty watching her the other day she was sitting by the fence watching the next door neighbors pups playing she just looked so lonely with my working full time I hated to leave her alone so much now she has someone to play with at least I am hoping they chew on each other cause they will never get raw hide does anyone one know if the chew ropes they sell work I am open to all ideas

I also have two dogs and it's twice as much fun! Congrats on your new pup.
    Su

------------------
    ***Save a life, ADOPT***

Originally posted by LilyMarlene:
    does anyone one know if the chew ropes they sell work I am open to all ideas>>>>>>>

I have ropes, but I have only let the dogs
    chew on them when I am home.

For puppies I always have liked the
    gummy bones or nyla bones.
    The kong toy is pretty sturdy also.

Congratulations on your new pups.
    Don't forget to share puppy breath stories.

Yes I will share a story or two they seem to be getting along ok now Foxy the female is a couple of weeks older and a bit bigger although the male seems to hold his own isn't the nylabone close to raw hide? I am just scared to give them anything even remotely dangerous and pretty soon the real chewing will start.

KYS:
    Found that my border collie Max, who is an aggressive chewer can totally destroy those ropes in a matter of minutes, and then has a huge pile of strings in front of him. I won't go into the gory details, but they appear to be pretty bad on the digestive system. I only give them the rope toys to play tug of war with when I'm outside with them.

LilyMarlene,
    The Gummy bones are for young puppies
    with their baby teeth and
    and not aggressive chewers.
    The nyla bones our much stronger.
    They are not made out of rawhide.
    I also do not give my dogs rawhide, though
    I have been told the press rawhide
    is much safer than the regular rawhide.
    Ask your Vet and about what
    he thinks about the Nyla bones and Gummy bones. (Pups need to chew)
    The dental rope bones can come apart as Teena mentioned and should only be used under supervision.
    LilyMarlene now you can start a new
    topic about puppies.

Just found an un-open package of Nylabone.

On the pkg.
    (saves dogs lives and costly surgery)
    The little thin shavings that are raked off in chewing and swallowed pass through
    with-out effect. This product is not
    designed to be consumed.
    Nontoxic-ingredients Nylon, liver meal.

I use the Nylabones in-liu of the Gummybones
    for when the pups no longer have their baby teeth or when they become aggressive chewers.
    If you find out information from your vet
    etc. that they are not safe please
    let me know. I have been using them for
    years instead of the rawhide.
    (if you do decide to try them make shure
    you get the correct size)

Next week I have to take Foxy in to the vet I will ask and let you know, right now they are so busy playing and chewing on each other I will just give them a treat every now and then.

Well, for those of you who have lost a dog, my heartfelt condolences. I recently lost my JRT to rodent poison and can deeply sympathize with you.

re: rawhides and nylabones -- I only give mine compressed rawhides. They are steamed and then pressed into shapes and the dogs cannot get large chunks softened up to choke on. Provides about 24 hours of chewing pleasure for some pretty busy chewers. I don't use Nylabones (this is a personal preference) because they are made of nylon. The Velvets don't last worth a hang here. They get gobbled up almost as quickly as biscuits. I also don't use knuckle bones as my dogs chew them up quickly and then poop white from whatever they treat them with. I think it would be good to get a warning on almost all the chew toys that they should not be given daily and the dog should be monitored during chewing time. I love to give pig ears, but have heard of a dog that got a sliver of one caught in its throat, so caution there, too.

Lily: Congratulations on your new puppies. They will never fill the hole that Nook Nook's death left, but will help build a border of love around it so it doesn't hurt as much. When my Trev died, her "sister" Shiloh was sleeping in my room and I heard her play barking in her dreams like she did with Trev. It was odd, but really made me think that she knew what it was all about.

One chewtoy we use around our house on occasion is what we call "Denim Doggie Delights". I took cut off legs of denim jeans and tied a knot in them and the dogs would chew them, tug on them and shake them like they were going to "kill" them. They were pretty durable and washable and when they got to be too much "blue spagetti" easily tossed and very cheap to obtain since I had three kids that would wear holes in the knees of their jeans and I would just cut them off. Just a thought.

Lily.:

Congrats on your new puppies! That's wonderful! Geez I have puppy feaver something terrible, I have not had a puppy in about 14 years Graham, my aussie mix was 9-10 months when I got him and my pug, Cassie, was 7 years old. You get double puppies! That must be so much fun (and SO much work!!!) I have respect for people that get 2 pups at once.

I sure do miss puppy breath...and the sweet smell of puppy paws. Can you bottle up some puppy breath up and send it to me???

I am pretty lucky that my greyhound doesn't like real rawhide to chew on. I have tried every type and she just looks at me like "And?" I am careful with what she does get. She doesn't like the Nylabones either, I even ordered the petsafe-chocolate flavored one from Petsmart.com and she didn't even flinch!!
    She does like the pig ears and the cow ears. I found on some pet supplies stores carry pig ear pieces, which last long cause they are smaller and I just give her one or two instead of the big ear.
    I totally missed the puppy stage of Shaianne, which is the case of most greyhound owners, she was 2 when I got her, and I love puppy breath too!
    But I am glad we didn't have to deal with the chewing stage-just separation anxiety.!!! :-)

Sorry to post 2 in a row but I just have one word for you! KONG!!!!!
    My dog is NOT a player and I have tried everything and just got in the mail a king kong and she seems to like it. You can stuff it with biscuits, food, Peanut Butter, cheese, broth, and freeze it. Go to www.kongcompany.com and they even have "recipes" you can do with them. Freeze or microwave them!!
    The best price I found was at petsmart.com I got 2 king kongs for $18. At the local pet supply store they are like $13-15 at least a peice. They are even pit bull jaw proof and they last forever I swear that is a testimony on there I am not "dogging pit bulls".
    Check it out I am sure almost everyone on here has them for their dogs I just was the last one to catch on!!:-)

My dog Nikki, swallowed a huge turkey bone yesterday when I was taking him for a walk, I tried to get it off him, but he fought me and swallowed it, he only weighs 20lbs.I called the vet when I got home and had to give him a tbs of vaseline. He didnt pass it yet, did anybody ever have this happen to there precious little one,and what is the best way to prevent this from happening when your walking your pet?

------------------
    sylvia alexander

My dog Nikki, swallowed a huge turkey bone yesterday when I was taking him for a walk, I tried to get it off him, but he fought me and swallowed it, he only weighs 20lbs.I called the vet when I got home and had to give him a tbs of vaseline. He didnt pass it yet, did anybody ever have this happen to there precious little one,and what is the best way to prevent this from happening when your walking your pet?

------------------
    sylvia alexander

Teach your dog the "drop it" command. Start with toys like tennis balls or stuffed toys. Praise him when he drops the toy for you when you give him the drop it command. If he's not familiar with that command it'll be close to impossible to take anything from him that he wants but is not supposed to have.