Thread: Golden Retrievers

Golden Retrievers

This is the breed that I, myself, am looking into now. I posted a help post a few days ago - but I think that this is the breed that I want to go for. I just can't find any...breed specific advice.

1. Are their any 'golden retriever' websites? Like ones that tell you about their personality, any kind of breed specific shows, their standards, etc.?

2. Are they good with animals - even birds? I know that they are a sporting breed, but can are they trainable enough to know the difference between a pet bird inside and a free roaming bird outside?

3. Are they good inside (aloof, sedate, etc.?) but 'get up and go' dogs outside? If they are rowdy inside that's fine. I just want to know how rowdy.

4. I know they come in different shades of gold - but how come the dark golds (like the color of copper) are not being strived for?

5. What is a reasonable price for a Golden? I saw an ad for 1500.00 USD for one today and I thought that was outragous. I mean, I have the money and I know I'd be paying for quality but that's a tad too expensive. I know how much dogs cost per month, I've done that much research, but I just don't see spending THAT much for a dog. I don't mind getting collars, vet appointments, grooming, training etc. But that as a price is a little steep.

6. Can Golden's be apartment dogs if they are sufficiently excersized? Right now I live with my Folks and we have a large property (almost an acre) but I just turned 20 and am expecting to move out within the next year or two and want to get a breed that will be good for the future as well as the present.

7. They are family dogs, right? They bond to the whole family and not just one person, right? My Aunt has a Swissie who bonded with her for it's first two weeks at home but when my uncle came home he bonded with her and doesn't want anything to do with her until my uncle leaves. I want a dog that will be good with me, Mom and Dad.

Sorry for all the questions. All the advice I can get. I've been trying to research them but there don't seem to be many breed related sites on Goldens.

I know I saw a few Golden owners here on this website and I was wondering if you could share your doggy stories of your goldens with me. Thanks.

There are tons of sites out there on goldens. I noticed under your name it says you're from Florida....
    so....
    The Golden Retriever Club of America
    http://www.grca.org/

Everglades Golden Retriever Club:
    http://www.evergladesgrc.org/

Mid-Florida Golden Retriever Club:
    http://www.mfgrc.org/

And a couple rescue sites for good measure.
    Golden Retriever Rescue of Mid Florida:
    http://www.grrmf.org/

South Florida Golden Rescue:
    http://www.tropicaldawg.org/

Everglades Retriever Rescue:
    http://www.egrr.org/

Hope some of this links provide you with some answers. Good luck in your research.

Yay! lol

*ahem*

I have a 1 year and 8 month old Golden Retriever named Daisy.

She is GREAT with my Cockatiel, Piper. We introduced him into the family a few months ago, and so far everythings gone well!

Daisy is VERY mellow. When it comes to playing outside, or inside. I guess she's not your typical Golden Retriever.

I personally, prefer the lighter ones. Daisy is right in the middle, and I'm happy with that. It depends on the breeders. Some like them really red, and some like them very light.

I payed $600 for Daisy. Reasonable price, I think. Just don't EVER buy from a pet store. Those dogs are horribly priced, and come from puppy mills. (VERY bad places.) The reason RESPONSIBLE breeders charge that much for one of their pups, is that want to make you can financially provide for the dog. Make sure both parents are vet checked, and have certain health clearences. ESSPECIALLY for their hips, as they are prone to hip dysplasia.

I think with enough attention and exercise, apartment life would be fine. I live in a house with a good size backyard, but I'm sure that would be exceptable.

Daisy is my baby, always has been, always will be. She bonded to all my family members but we have a stronger bond. I saw her first, and was the one who brought her home. (along with my dad.) They most definatley are family dogs!

Also, you can always rescue a golden! They make EXCELLENT pets too, plus you save a life. They are also generally out of that "puppy stage", and let me tell you....Golden Retriever pups are VERY destructive.

Doggy stories?? Hmm...just tell me what you would like to know.

~pictures in next post~
    Last edited by GoldenRetrLuver; 10-08-2003 at 09:39 PM.

Daisy as a puppy...(10 weeks)
    Wasn't she the cutest fluff-ball?

Daisy now..(1 year, 8 months)

Daisy with my other dog, Molly, a Sable and White Rough Collie.

If you have ANY more questions, or need advice, feel free to ask me! They are truely, the BEST breed!

Yay! Goldens! :D

I used to have a Golden. Her name was Barrett. She was a four and a half year old, red Golden. She died of Lymphoma, which is a tumor cancer. She had tumors, and died at only four and a half. I miss her dearly.
    Goldens are great dogs. They're sweet, most get along great with ALL other animals if socialized well, and yes they can adapt well to any environment.

Be aware though, that they are the worst as puppies!!
    They dig, chew, bark, and have an endless energy level! Although they are very smart, and highly trainable dogs, they NEED to be socialized or else they can become stubborn and forgetful.
    Potty training is a whiz for them. Reinforcement, and praise is the key. If they go in the house without you catching them, it's done. They won't know what they did wrong if you punish them. However--if you DO catch them going in the house then you can punish them. Go outside with them and praise them while they are doing their buisness. This is very easy if you don't become lazy with it.
    The biggest problem I had with my Golden was prey drive. Keep in mind that Golens WERE bred for hunting, so if you have lots of small wild animals around then keep an eye on your dog at all times. Barrett killed her prey.. But we couldn't get mad because it's instinct. You CAN'T get mad.
    Hmm...just PM me if you need any more answers!

Thank you for your advice you guys! (and for the websites, btw).

And Daisy is just adorable (and you also have my second favorite breed, the Rough Coated Collie).

What you are basically saying is that if they are introduced to something very early on, they will accept it more? Like I'd never let Birdie out without knowing he was safe and secure. See, I let him out now with Maui because Maui could care less.

Tell me more about their puppy stages and how the best way to 'train' a Golden is, please

Hehe
    Yes, it helps a lot to introduce the puppy to your other animals early on. Especially your bird.

How to train a Golden?
    One word: Praise. If you train your dog with food, they'll only be working for the food and not for your satisfaction.

Actually, I had Daisy first, before my bird. I introduced them very slowly, but after a few days I knew Daisy wouldn't hurt her. (But I would NEVER leave them alone together!) I would think the younger they are when you introduce them, the more accepting they will be.

Puppy stages? Yikes. Let's see....they are diggers, chewers, and just overall DESTRUCTIVE. Daisy still digs, but not quite as often as she used to, when she was a pup. Chewing wasn't *as* huge as digging, but she chewed up about 6 garden hoses in a matter of 2 months!

I would most certainly take the golden pup to obedience classes. It cured Daisy's tugging, and pulling when we went for walks. Golden's are usually very easy to train, and LOVE to please.

Are you thinking of doing any activities with your future golden? Agility, fly-ball, showing?

Oh, and thanks for the compliments! Hehe, yup Collies are great. Too bad you don't see too many over here though....

I would love to do Agility or frisbee or something. I would love to get into some kind of sport for me and my dog.

What I look for in a Golden is that I basically want a companion that can go wherever I go and has no qualms about doing so...just a companion that I could play fetch with, go outside for a jog with, lay on the couch with, throw a ball and have some excersize. And a Golden Retriever (the more I looked into it) just seemed to fit the bill. Everyone tells me how willing they are to be with you, how loving and goofy they are. I want something that will bring a smile on my face because of their goofiness. I want something that will bark when someone comes up but is so comfortable with themselves that they would lick the person to death, lol. (Lick be the intruder, LOL).

I spoil my bird and my cat so bad. Maui doesn't have a collar and leash he has a "necklace and chain". He won't wear his 'necklace' unless I say 'would you like to wear your necklace?' and he'll sit there and purrrrr. He's got a toybox full of toys (no exaggeration). Every time I go out to a pet store or Walmart or Kmart they both get at least two items. (The bird will have to move OUT of his cage soon...LOL). I would do the same thing for a new dog. Vet checks at least once a month, professional grooming at least once a month. Brushing the teeth etc. I am totally prepared for a dog.

I hope that I've decided on the best breed because this is what I am going to tell my mother. So if you see any kind of flaws in what I've just written (as in a compatibility match) then tell me

What kind of brush is best on a Golden, a slicker, curry or a different kind? Do they have a double coat and thus blow coat every six months?

If you want a somewhat "protective" dog, a golden would not be it. You are also describing a lab, in my opinion. Although they are not very protective either. So, a lab or a golden is what I would think your best bets would be.

Yes, goldens do shed. I have a slickerbrush, and a shedding rake. Both work good for me (and of course on my collie! she has more grooming supplies though. )

Anymore questions? I'm happy to answer!

Nope...I have no problems with Labs - but I like fluffy dogs I like the motion of brushing a dog or a cat. It's so relaxing. (Especially when they have no knots!)

Now to put this all on paper so that I can finally tell my Mother AND Father that I've put a lot of research and thought into it. I can tell them what I know and my reasons. Then I can give my Dad my deposit for my room and stuff (then when we move, I get to put one on my new room, lol). So that way if there are any messes, they are all paid for! (It's a deal we already made).

Thanks for all your advice. *pet's all your Goldens' (and collies)*

Your welcome! Let us know how it goes.

Actually, I have a 2 year old golden and I have to agree with everyone!
    Puppyhood is a time where you will pull your hair out! And I have another year left.
    Keegan doesn't have much of a prey drive, she will stare intently at something, but doesn't normally go after it. She might go after a strange cat or squirrel.
    Yes take her to obedience school, I did not do that and regret it very much.
    She makes me smile every day. She loves/is obsessed with her tennis balls. Those have to be her all time favorite thing. I hit it with a tennis racket to make it go farther and give her more exercise.
    Be aware of health problems. Hypothyroidism and Epilepsy are just a couple. I say Hypothyroid b/c Keegan has it, and I say epilepsy b/c purebred dogs are known for it. Goldens are also known for having bad hips, and getting cancer as was already mentioned.
    Protection, I disagree.
    Keegan may not be a wonderful watchdog compared to a GSD or Dobie, but she is extremely protective of me, my family, my property and my parents properties. She gets all excited with the tail wags with people that she knows, or friendly people on the street, but if a person that she doesn't know approached me menacingly on the street, she would definately protect me. And she lets me know when people are outside around my house. Much different from my beloved greyhound who rarely rarely barked~~~~ Now that was a BIG thing to get used to going from an almost non barker to one that BARKS A LOT!!!
    Price. I really don't know b/c around here unless they are champion bloodlines, $300-$400 is the going price. Keegan's littermates went for $350, tho she was free to me.
    I strongly strongly strongly recommend 2 things.
    1)Look into a rescue in your area. The love of a rescued dog (especially a Golden I am sure) is something that will never ever ever be compared to. You will know joy like no other from a rescued dog. And sometimes there are dogs in rescue as young as a year old. Which in a sense is puppyhood for a golden.
    2) SPAY SPAY SPAY or NEUTER NEUTER NEUTER!!!! Especially if you don't rescue. Don't add to the number of unwanted puppies or dogs if you don't rescue!

I have a regular brush for Keegan, a shedding blade, and a curry comb. All of them are great.
    I think a golden would be fine in an apartment, if exercised properly. I have a very very small house, much smaller than A LOT of apartments, and with daily exercise, Keegan does fine. I know when she doesn't get enough exercise, she gets ornery!!!
    They always told me - a tired puppy is a happy puppy!!! and a Good Puppy!!

Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..