Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diet plans...which ones HAVE worked for you...

Diet plans...which ones HAVE worked for you...

...and you lost a good amount of weight on? I am in a rut now. I am not feeling so motivated to lose weight, although i know i really want to drop a few extra pounds. What diet plans have worked for you?

I have done the low carbs thing and that helped me to lose 9 lbs after Christian was born...i just need to drop 10 more and i will be good (and will be below my pre-pregnancy weight also).

I also did the slim fast diet before i got married to help shed a few extra pounds. But you can only do so much of that.

Anyway, just curious of any success stories out there...might help to motivate me (and those of you in the same rut), and get back on track...

I've lost 40 lbs since June on Atkins. I exercise (biking and gym) a lot, too. low carb works for me because I don't get hungry (thus am less inclined to binge). For me though, exercise is a must. I don't lose just low carbing, I need to burn off extra by working out. I am in my late 30s, when I was in my 20s and early 30s I could lose weight by simply dieting - now I need to exercise too.

Originally posted by boscibo
    I've lost 40 lbs since June on Atkins. I exercise (biking and gym) a lot, too. low carb works for me because I don't get hungry (thus am less inclined to binge). For me though, exercise is a must. I don't lose just low carbing, I need to burn off extra by working out. I am in my late 30s, when I was in my 20s and early 30s I could lose weight by simply dieting - now I need to exercise too.

Have you ever seen us BOTH at the same time? MAybe we are the same person (though, Boscibo is a little nicer than Cataholic, he he), but, this is EXACTLY my thing too. I don't follow the Atkins, but, I am totally low carb, and it works, for me.

Why don't you join us in the PT diet group that PCB made up? It is nice, and we all need the encouragment!

Eat less fat and exercise more. That's the only thing that really works long term.
    ~Kat

Originally posted by Cheshirekatt
    Eat less fat and exercise more. That's the only thing that really works long term.
    Actually just eat less CALORIES and excercise more.

I have lost about 30 pounds since I moved into our apartment. I think it was just the lifestyle change that did it. Now I have to buy food and cook it and clean up. (I was living in a dorm before.) I eat different things now, cheap things, easy to make things. I am eating a lot more pasta and rice, a lot less meat and potatoes. In general I am just eating LESS.

Counting calories worked for me in high school. I kept a journal of everything I ate and drank (remember the latter because juice and soda is VERY high in calories). At night, I tabulated how many calories I took in. The keeping of the log helped me lose more weight than anything, because I had to make a mental note of ALL I ate. There was no impulsive snacking. I had to write how many chips I ate, so I didn't just much away without any thought to the amount...

Oh, and get a time-killing hobby. Snacking can be recreational, which is a major problem. Nowadays, I sketch while watching TV or keep my hands busy with something else rather than nibbling on snack food. The only junk food I eat is the bag of M&M's I use for studying for exams.

I think I have tried them all. I have had the most success with Weight Watchers. I did WW online and was going to the gym everyday. I lost over 50 lbs this way. I just recently re-joined and in 3 weeks I have lost 10.6 lbs.

I also bought Dr. Phil's new book about weight loss and I am really inspired by what he has to say.

You can feel free to PM me or email me at work [email protected]

Meg

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Actually I was working out so much, I had to up my calorie intake and just make sure I kept the fat intake lower.

I lost 30 pounds in 4 months and have kept it off for 2 years.

I don't believe in 'diets'.....you have to make a lifestyle change. JMO

~Kat

Diets are BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diets don't make you lose weight. Being active and taking off WHAT you eat works.

twitter.
    http://twitter.com/meganxxjo

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

Veganism. Healthy & Cruelty-free.

I don't regularly weigh myself so I don't have any of those kinds of numbers. However, I've had many people comment that it appears I've lost weight and it is quite a treat to hear that -- especially when I wasn't even trying to! But I have noticed the difference myself as I have gone down 1-2 pant sizes.

My suggestion would be veganism + regular exercise.
    Last edited by Kater; 10-08-2003 at 05:57 PM.

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

I don't believe in 'diets'.....you have to make a lifestyle change. JMO

Surely you must....you have to eat a healthy DIET, or you have to watch your DIET. Kater eats a vegan DIET, some people eat a DIET low in sodium...

It is just a word, and while one might make an association to it, like it or not, everyone of us has a diet.

Well................the term *diet* actually means, in the literal sense, the way someone eats.........or, their eating *lifestyle*. If I say, my birds' are on a diet of seeds, pellets, veggies, and other foods, it does not mean they are on a diet.........it just means that's what they eat. Just an example.

As for the *diet* you folks are refering to, that you don't believe in, I don't believe in those *diets* either. Sure if you're following a planned diet...............it IS going to work, however, will it last? If you get off the diet once you've lost weight, then I'm afraid I'd say no. You'll gain it all back, and it isn't worth it. That's why I don't believe in *going on a diet*. We were on a diet in the first place weren't we? If we weren't on a diet, then we wouldn't be eating, and we would be DEAD! LOL

The key to losing weight, from what I believe, is *changing* your diet to a more healthy, low-fat, low-sugat, low-calorie, diet. NEVER install in your mind that *I'm on a diet*. If you put that in your mind, then once you lose weight, its going to be *I'm not on a diet* and then you're back to square one. I'm trying to lose weight right now, and when I go to friends' homes and eat so much less than before, and only *taste* the sweets, they immediately ask me if I'm on a diet, and I immediately respond with a *nope*. Its true......I'm not on a diet, nor do I *think* I'm on one when I eat. I'm just changing my lifestyle, and this is the way I'm going to be from now on. I won't let me desires take control on me. I will take control on my desires.

I'm not following any diet, and I don't feel like I'm on a diet, because I have just mended the problems in my diet, and am exercising A LOT. I have lost 8 pounds in the past 5-6 weeks, and though it seems slow, slow weight loss is actually permanent weight loss that shouldn't come back. I've tried going on *diets* in the past, and lost like 15 pounds with them, then stopped to take a break, and in a flash, all the pounds are back. No way am I ever doing that again.

A healthy diet and physical activity (exercise) go hand in hand. When you want to lose weight, its important to reduce your calories and increase your physical activity, so you're burning calories as well. Reduce your fat, reduce you sugar, reduce your carbs, but don't say a complete no to anything. Just watch out for *how much* you're eating. Exercise and watch your food quantity, and be sure you're getting proper nutrition from every food group. This is what I believe, and for the first time, my efforts are actually paying off, and I AM losing weight and feeling healthy at the same time.

In the past when I went on diets, I felt tired, non-energetic, and wanted to quit. Of course once I quit, the weight came back. This time, I'm changing my lifestyle........forever. When I'm at my ideal weight, I'm still going to be exercising, still going to be weight training, and still going to be making sure I eat a healthy diet, and NOT go over my daily calorie allowance. I'm not *not* eating anything. I'm eating everything, but have increased my veggies, decreased my carbs, sugar, and fatty foods, and am watching my calories and quantity. When I eat chocolate for example, its once a week and just a little tiny piece. Ice cream, just two spoons is enough, once in a week or two. This time, I feel happy, healthy, and active, as well as very energetic. I'm losing weight and not thinking of going back to my laziness and to my eating without watching my food intake.

As for veganism, its not something that would fit my lifestyle and to be honest, I wouldn't do it. There are plenty of people who aren't vegans or vegetarians on this planet, who are VERY healthy, because they exercise and keep an eye on what they eat and how much, and that's what I want to do. But if it fits your lifestlye and helps keep you healthy, that is WONDERFUL.

Just my thoughts and opinions. I would love it if you join our new board that we made for this purpose.

http://popcornbirdie.proboards20.com...?action=logout

Originally Ally cat's mom made this group on yahoo, but when I learned of this website where you can make boards of your own, we transfered it here. Feel free to join in! Another big factor in losing weight is *MOTIVATION*, and that's what the PT Diet Buddies group is all about. We all want to lose weight, and when we do it together, we motivate each other. It really helps! Good luck! Now I'm off to exercise!
    Last edited by popcornbird; 10-08-2003 at 06:58 PM.

Ok, I don't believe in 'fad diets' or marketed diets.

I believe in sensible eating and regular exercising. Call it whatever you like. Diet, lifestyle change....whatever blows your skirt up.
    ~Kat

Ok, I don't believe in 'fad diets' or marketed diets.

I believe in sensible eating and regular exercising.
    Exactly. Just what I meant.

Eat healthy, exercise. There is no other way. I don't believe in any sort of restrictive diet. I believe in a healthy lifestyle. I hate fad diets and I believe they are money makers preying on the weak and desperate.

The only diet I would ever consider and participate in is WEIGHT WATCHERS, it is sensible, you donot starve, have a balanced diet, with some treats if you choose.

All Doctor's and the heart foundation recommend it, it also is a diet you can basically do for life, once you learn your maintainence level.

It is suitable for all age groups, and it DOES WORK, and the new points system is great, allows such a wide range of food of your choice.

I am no believer in fad diets etc, and even the Atkins Diet,(no offence to those who are on it) I donot believe can be continued for life, I know the results are amazing, but long term I have my doubts, just MHO.

Is Weight-watchers paying me to say this, NO, but maybe they should be lol.

One more thing, I believe everything in MODERATION is the key to successful weight loss and in general most things in life, even exercise, now I had better practice what I preach sigh.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️