Thread: Boo threw up :(

Boo threw up :(

I came home to some brown throw up. I'm 99% sure Boo did it. He's been gagging (again) and today I found a ball of moist hair on the floor. Is this just normal hairball stuff or something more sinister???

I would keep an eye on him for a couple days. If you see or hear anything else, take him into the vet. Does he normally have trouble with hairballs? I give Kylie the Purina Right bites Hairball formula treats, and those have really cut down on them I also feed her the RC slim mixed with hair and coat but am going to switch her to SD Light Hairball formula when I get this bag finished.
    Keep us posted!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Poor little Soledad.....one tiny throw up and you are over the edge...let me tell you some things...First, I moved into my current house because of it's complete hardwood floors...makes cleaning up Tex's daily vomit fests easier..he he he..I can hear him from the first gag, grab some towels, or a magazine or newspaper, slip it under him, all before he even gets going! LOL...

Cats are very throw-upie. I can't recall Boo being that long haired, course it is sooooooooooooooooo rare I see a picture of either of your kitties....that maybe I am wrong? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

You can tell by the throw up, alot of what is going on. Just liquid will be a hairball attempt. And, maybe there is another pile with hairball in it? Food not digested is prolly from eating too much too fast...How did Boo act afterwards? Or, by the time you got home to see him? Regular activity level? Drinking/eliminating ok?

There is that pastie stuff they sell in the stores...seems to be like a carmel flavored thing..that helps with hairballs? Also, even though Boo is a shortie..maybe some extra brushing might help?

In this case I think I have to agree with Cataholic. A couple of months ago I came home and there were three piles of vomit, but they were all hairballs and I couldn't tell who they came from

It sounds like it might be a hairball problem. There is a fish flavoured paste available in your local pet store that should take care of things. I have also found that since using the "hair grabber" item discussed a couple of months ago, my hair ball problem has GREATLY decreased

Speckles throws up every 2nd day always between 6 and 7am. It's like clockwork and it's always hairballs because she won't let me brush her and she hates the caramel stuff. I wouldn't panic Soledad.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Last year durig Edwina's annual checkup I mentioned that she throws up (not just when she eats grass either!) She is good about doing it on tile though. The vet said..."Cats vomit."

And there you have it....

Okay, I am officially outed as a cat novice.

Well, the vomit was brown, smooth and liquidy. Looked like pureed cat food.

He's been normal ever since. I was just wondering if this was a hairball thing or not. I thought that maybe since he's grooming Bettie now things had been building up.

I'm such an amatuer.

Grooming them on regular daily basis helps keep hairball control under control. Esp in winter months when their fur coats are heavier and in spring when they are sheading. I get tubes of Cat lax from our vet (brown in color, smells like malt). little tab on the nose after hair ball incident, they lick it off and are all set.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Don't let them get on your case Soledad - its always better to be overconcerned rather than underconcerned

More than once I've taken a kitty to the vet only to find out that he or she was ok and to have my husband give me the old "I could have told you nothing was wrong" look.

It sounds like your kitty should be ok and that's what matters.

These are not the droids you were looking for

It's cat law that they must throw up several times a week, with bonus points for chundering on carpets when there are tiled surfaces only inches away

I always check their vomit, in case something could be wrong, so I don't think you're an amateur!
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Felicia used to vomit almost everyday. This was after she was through eating. Her whole meal would come up. (A former landlord put carpet in the kitchen; it would be so much easier to clean if it was tile.)

I did notice that:
    1 if Felicia would drink water right after she was through eating, she would vomit.

2. if I gave her the amount recomended she would be more likely to vomit.

By feeding her a little less and keeping her from drinking right away, this has helped a lot.

Of course she is brushed everyday to help prevent hairballs.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

watch behavior before and after...it says a lot. Ritzy has about a once a month morning "glutton barf" - for some reason she will occasionallyjust eat too much too fast....she is immediately fine.

I have noticed if I pet or brush her when she eats or just before, it is like it is too much excitement for her and she will urp...

It is usually a pile of undigested Science Diet, like she swallowed the pieces whole. High-cost horfing....Science Diet isn't cheap...but the events are fortunately infrequent.
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"

Sounds purrfectly normal to me: just some pureed cat food with hairball

Like Tex, Tigris vomits either when he needs to get rid of a hairball or when he eats too much too fast. Filou eats some grass to help him vomit hairballs. He never eats too fast -he has good table manners

Cats have that quick vomit reflex to make sure they can get rid of any stuff that should not be good for them. (E.g. meat that is too old). So we have to live with that