Thread: Guinea pigs - house training?

Guinea pigs - house training?

Hi! I'm new to the chat and I would like to pose a question that has puzzled me for a long time! This is for those of you who have guinea pigs and have stated that they are "house trained"! I have never heard of being able to house train a guinea pig. I have two and have had two others several years ago and I sure don't know how you did it! Mine always "do it" whenever nature calls and wherever, even right where they are sitting and bedding down if that's when it happens. So much for the thought that they won't soil their own bed! How about a little insight on this!

This question has also baffled me as I had guinea pigs as a kid and as you say they just do their business whenever and wherever. I have rescued a bunny rabbit 3 weeks ago and the only reason I found out he was litter trained was that he went straight into my cats litter tray and did his business. I was most impressed and part of that has made me decide to keep him but I've no idea how somebody managed to train him and I'll be interested to hear the replies you get !!!!

I know, with a bunny, you just put like 3 litter trays in there pen. And then find out which corner they like to go to the bathroom in (As they always pick one) and then put the litter tray there. Then sometimes they will pick another corner and put a diffrent littler tray in the corner. Aslo I put hay in the litter boxes as a munchy snack, they love it. This has always worked for me and my 2 bunnies! Good luck in traing your piggies and let us know how it goes!

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka