Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dog in heat

dog in heat

how do you keep a dog in heat from getting pregnant. sadie is supposed to be spayed in a couple weeks and can't come any sooner. what do i do?
    ~~Ashley~~Madison & Zoey~~

Keep her away from male dogs!!! Really, there is little else you can do!! If you have other male dogs in the house who are not neutered, you must keep them separated. And certainlly, do not let her run loose!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Well, the easiest thing is to get them spayed BEFORE they go into heat - but it doesn't always happen that way Like Sandra said, keep her away from all male dogs, and don't let her out of the house unsupervised.

Originally posted by madison's mom:
    <STRONG>how do you keep a dog in heat from getting pregnant. sadie is supposed to be spayed in a couple weeks and can't come any sooner. what do i do? </STRONG>
    Well let's see.... The birds and the bees or the flowers and the trees or.... Oh I'm sorry I trying to figure out how to tell my son about this subject since he's 11 just this past weekend. Seems he has learned a little before I was ready to tell him. Anyway, that's a different discussion.....

Just keep Sadie away from male dogs for 21 days. A heat cycle is 21 days long. 1 week coming in, one week in, and one week going out. Anywhere after day 7 to about 16 are real prime times for a bitch in season and I use this word purposely because when they are in they will let anything and everything who tries to mate have a good time!

They become different in attitude and will go out of their way to find someone who will give them what they want so never let her outside unsupervised, even for a second. Male dogs can smell a bitch in season for up to two miles away and will travel! Even if they are usually really good at staying in the yard!

You can put doggie diapers on her if she spots alot. Or you can do it the homemade way. I use a pair of my husbands underwear since they have the opening that works for her tail perfectly. I line it with self sticking maxi pads.

Just a silly question, first time with female dog. After spayed, do they still come in heat? You know blood and everything, just that they can't get pregnant?
    Puppies are a bundle of joy, dogs, are life's happiness.

No, a spayed female won't ever come into heat, so there's never any worries about the mess! And she'll never get pregnant.

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

may be I'll spay leika qhen she's 2 years old, now she is too little. She only 2 and a half months old! Thanks for the info.

Mary don't wait until she's 2 or you will have a lot of mess and the problem of pregnancy. Spay her at least by 6 months old.

okay, I'll see if it is too expensive. thanks.

Never spay a dog while it's in heat!

This is Just an FYI kind of message:
    NEVER spay while the girls are in season because of the increased blood flow to the uterus. The increased blow flow can cause complications and cause them to bleed much more than they normally would which of, course, if they can't get the
    bleeding to stop would cause the death of the animal. It is a very risky surgery to do a spay while a bitch is in season. Actually, since she is already in season, they should wait about 2 mos. This will give the hormones time to go back to normal and to make sure that all the blood flow has also gone back to normal.

Dixie - that's also true with cats - although the vet will spay a female in heat, they always charge extra money due to the blood risk. I'm planning on spaying my little Chihuahua before she ever goes into heat - the lady I bought her from says OH NO - she should 1 litter of puppies before I do that, it's better for the dog etc. This isn't true is it???? I don't want to worry about a litter of puppies.

It is better to have your pup spayed before it has it's first heat cycle if you don't want pups. Just because a animal has the capability of having a litter doesn't mean it has to or it's better for them. In fact intact females run a higher risk of cervical cancer and other FEMALE problems just like a human female does.

In my opinion, there is no reason to make your pup have a litter of pups before spaying. It doesn't give them anything they will miss or need. Actually the younger they are, the better. The perfect age is around 6 months since females will start their cycle at different times, some as early as 7 months while others will not start until 15 or 16 months.

If you want to have puppies and an intact female has not had a heat cycle by the age of 18 to 24 months then a vet should be contacted to check her out.

Thank you Dixie - I don't want any puppies so I'm planning on having Tess spayed in March when she will be around six months. I'd like to take her to the spay and neuter clinic which is much more economical than my vet, $40.00 vs. $80.00, but I'm really going to be nervous about it when it's time. She's so darn little. I've had my cats spayed and neutered at the clinic and everything has turned out just fine, but this place does dedicate itself to rescue animals and is low cost spaying and neutering.

Purrley,
    I understand the nervous feeling you will probably have. Everytime something is done to one of my pets, I am a basket case until I see them again. Since she is so tiny and delicate is there any way you can save up the extra $40.00 and have it done by your regular vet? I always use the term with my husband "I'm sorry, but I don't want to be penny wise and dollar foolish!" There are times when you get what you pay for.

This has to be your call and comfort level! When the time gets closer and you still don't have the money, contact me and perhaps I can help you out.

Dixie - thank you so much for that offer. You have really answered a very important question for me and that is should I take her to my regular vet or go to the low cost spay and neuter clinic. The money will be there never the less and I'm just a firm believer that if you can't afford to take very good care of a pet you shouldn't have one. I'm going to be nervous enough so I'll have her done by the professional, you're right, you usually get what you pay for and I want her to be very well cared for. She is so small and delicate, I will certainly be a wreck when the time comes. Thanks again. I'll probably be posting again on this subject as the time gets closer to get some reassurance from my Pet Talk friends.