Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: duct tape???

duct tape???

Man binds bear wounds with duct tape
    Friday, September 26, 2003 Posted: 12:02 PM EDT (1602 GMT)

Alaska (AP) -- A hunter attacked by a grizzly bear on a remote trail said he used duct tape to bind his bite wounds, then rode an all-terrain vehicle to his pickup truck and drove himself to a hospital.

Bill Murphy said the Sept. 17 attack happened after he surprised a grizzly cub and its mother on a trail about 50 miles northeast of Anchorage where he was hunting for moose and sheep.

"I didn't even have time to jump," Murphy said.

Murphy grabbed his rifle but before he could raise it, the mother bear pinned him face-down.

It then clamped her jaws around his right shoulder and started shaking him like a rag. He said he felt teeth pressing against his skin, then a pop as they sliced through.

At some point, the bear let go, then stood over Murphy, panting and drooling onto his head. All he could think about was a bear attack over the summer near the Russian River where a man was bitten on the face and blinded.

"I just lay perfectly still and said, 'God, don't bite my head,"' Murphy said.

Finally, the bear moved away. Murphy said he got up, planning to shoot the bear, but it had broken his rifle.

Murphy said he wrapped duct tape around his shoulder and cut up a cloth bag to wrap around his thigh. He hiked out to his four-wheeler, rode about 15 miles back to his pickup truck and drove a half hour to Valley Hospital in Palmer.

The 54-year-old said he has no idea how long the attack lasted, but it felt like "two lifetimes."

"I can laugh about it now, but I wasn't laughing then," he said.

-------------------

My question is-

Why was this guy carrying DUCT TAPE on a hunting trip??

I could see DUCK tape, hunting ducks......

And how do you get bear spit out of your clothes?
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Duct tape, don't leave home without it. I ALWAYS have duct tape when I'm camping and always in my truck. I would probably have it in a backpack while hunting as well. I would't care much about bear drool on my clothes (camping clothes are pretty funky anyway) but bear drool in my hair would really give me a bad-hair day how rude.

For years, I used to go camping by myself, not in the deep of the woods, but in the Provincial campgrounds. I used to carry duct tape, electricians tape, and masking tape along with string and lots of rope. I like to be prepared for the unexpected.

As for binding his wounds with duct tape, wouldn't that hurt getting the tape off?? Can you spell O-U-C-H?? I could hardly "bear" that much pain.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Hmm - lbaker and slick - both regulars at Thursdays - both carry duct tape. Coincidence or not?

These are not the droids you were looking for

It's not just for ducks , or ducts any more!
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

Re: duct tape???

My question is-

Why was this guy carrying DUCT TAPE on a hunting trip??

I could see DUCK tape, hunting ducks......

And how do you get bear spit out of your clothes?
    Good question Richard. It's right up there with why did the Howells, the skipper, the professor, Marianne and Gilligan all have so many creature comforts along on a 3 hour tour!

Re: Re: duct tape???

all those clothes!!!! It it's inconceivable!!!!

Originally posted by Pam
    [B]

Good question Richard. It's right up there with why did the Howells, the skipper, the professor, Marianne and Gilligan all have so many creature comforts along on a 3 hour tour!
    -babolaypo

-Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

Well they say that all you really need in your toolbox is duct tape, so why not on a hunting trip? lol

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Originally posted by catland
    Hmm - lbaker and slick - both regulars at Thursdays - both carry duct tape. Coincidence or not?
    I never know when I have to tape something to the rafters And Pam: in all my years of watching TV I never saw the Skipper with duct tape. But then, maybe the Professor invented something that was just as sticky.....
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

--Polar Express

They didnt have duct tape, if they HAD< they would have gotten off the dang island!!!

Originally posted by slick
    I never know when I have to tape something to the rafters And Pam: in all my years of watching TV I never saw the Skipper with duct tape. But then, maybe the Professor invented something that was just as sticky.....
    -babolaypo

-Sri Yogananda

-Ursula Leguin

My husband used to be a hunting guide and still hunts. The two things he always has in his first aide kit are duct tape and crazy glue....you can patch almost anything, including skin, if you have those two things!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Boy,
    All of you are silly!!!! Even I know that the Howell's got their clothes from the Costume department!!

I'll have to remember the duct tape next time I go
    apartment hunting..
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

who was it, maybe a PT person who said that you need two things in life. Duct tape and WD-40. One makes things move, the other makes things stop.

These are not the droids you were looking for

That was a wise, wise person....
    -babolaypo

-Sri Yogananda

-Ursula Leguin

I used duct tape to hold my blouse together one day at work.....tried to use scotch tape but wouldn't hold.
    --unknown

--Polar Express