Thread: Clean teeth?

Clean teeth?

Can anyone recommend any chew toys or anything else that works to clean their dog's teeth?

After I brushed every day for a few months with no visible results I slacked off and I only do it now and then.

The vet recommended this gel stuff that you put on their teeth twice a week. We bought some and we use it, but I'm not sure it really does anything.

We also bought a 5 lb. bag of the Hills TD food, it's supposed to be designed to clean their teeth as they chew. The only problem, Carl doesn't chew, he just swallows them whole

Today we went went to PetsMart to see if we could find anything useful. There were a zillion different things to choose from. We bought a Dental Kong Carl seems to like

The vet recommended we get a NylaDent. She described it as a Nyla Bone that's looks like a twisted rope , but we couldn't find one.

So, what do you use?

Daisy loves to chew on all types of nylabones, especially the ones that have little nubbies on them. Perry does it occasionally. I brush their teeth about twice a week, but I'm thinking maybe I should have the Vet brush them once or twice a year. Has anyone done this? Do they put them to sleep? I wouldn't like that!

Yes, unfortunately the dog has to be anesthetized (I doubt I spelled that right). Poor Reece has bad teeth because his previous owners had him on soft food his whole life. His teeth are pretty bad for only a year old. I'm trying to put it off a month so he can get settled in before I go leaving him at the vet When I got Harley, the vet told me that he'd have to have his done. I decided to try a DentaBone just in case. It worked like a charm on him. I took him back to the vet and they thought I had his teeth cleaned at another clinic. Reece's case is a bit different though and he'll have to have his done. I'm going to be really worried that day about him but I know its best for his health. Bad teeth can cause other problems as well. Here's a link that explains a little bit about it: http://www.peteducation.com/dental/d....htm#profclean
    I saw it being done to a golden retriever a couple weeks ago at Reece's first vet visit. The women were nice and I'm sure everything will be fine but I'm still a worry wart. I think you can pick them up the same day.

Bear is a shih tsu/poodle mix, 10 years old. He has had his teeth cleaned twice. Small dogs are more prone to tartar and bad breath because of the way the back of their mouths are formed. My daughter's dog has also had her teeth cleaned. It's not a serious procedure as long as the anesthesia is done right. The dog goes in before 9AM and can go home the same day. The cost is about $60. Brushing helps avoid this, as does feeding dry kibble and the dental toys like ropes.

[This message has been edited by mruffruff (edited March 29, 2001).]

A really cheap way I clean my dogs teeth is give them Soup bones from the grocery store once a month (they cost like $.85)But make sure there the cow bones because the other ones break apart. Felice is almost eight and the vet says she has wonderful teeth for her age.

Whoa, $60 for a teeth cleaning sounds like a good price. I got estimates at two places here. One was $250 and the vet I go to was $150. I guess I should call some more places for prices.

I know this is a sore subject but as much as I try to wean Cody off beef-basted rawhide bones, I just can't. The solution was to buy small ones. Anyway, since he also gets a Bonz and Dog biscuits, his teeth, thank God, are so perfect, the vet is amazed. He had to have a broken tooth pulled once and they did clean them as a preventative since they already in his mouth but he didn't really need it. My vet has "Dental Care" specials some months, but I never asked the price. I think $60 is cheap-I think it is over $100 with anesesia (sp) etc...I hate the fact they knock them out too. That in itself is so dangerous.

$150-$250 wow!!!
    There is a product I saw advertised in DogFancy and can't for the life of me remember the name of it. But I found it at Pet Supplies Plus and it was amazing!!
    They are big green or red rings.(Green for regular cleaning and red for tougher cleaning) And you only let the dog chew it for half hour or so once a week. I noticed a difference right away. As they chew their teeth dig into this cardboard like substance an it cleans their teeth. They came in a pack of 4 and I got them on sale for about $4. If I find the advertisement I will post it.
    Shai doesn't really like Nylabones, or Blimpie bones. But she tore into these and I had to wait until she shredded it to take it from her!!!

Originally posted by ownerof3dogs:
    A really cheap way I clean my dogs teeth is give them Soup bones from the grocery store once a month (they cost like $.85)But make sure there the cow bones because the other ones break apart.
    I had heard this as a good method of keeping teeth clean but my dogs are so possessive of these bones they get into fights over them, despite the fact that they are each given one. I just can't have them in the house as it brings out such agression in my two who normally get along so well.

I found the dental rings on Drs foster and smith this should be a direct link to them. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pCatId=1341
    And here should be another link http://www.NESerum.com/Search.jsp
    if not go under search and look for item #ZT661 they are a little cheaper here

[This message has been edited by shais_mom (edited April 04, 2001).]

I got those dental rings. Hannah loved it, Tucker didn't seem interested. Hannah decided she would take possession of both hers and his. My husband said it was pretty funny to see her pick up both of these in her mouth at the same time. They are fairly large.