Thread: More urinary crystals

More urinary crystals

It’s been 5 weeks since Phoenix had his bladder flushed for urinary crystals and everything was fine until last night.
    Poor guy’s bladder is plugged up again. Had to take him to the Emergency Vet last night. Called this morning and thank god his kidneys are ok and no blood in the urine. I’m going to see him after work.
    I’m wondering if his treats could have been the problem for this reoccurrence.
    Last edited by auggie; 10-06-2003 at 06:57 AM.

Thanks to BCBlondie for this great signature!

Neko is not allowed to have any food other than his prescription diet for the cyrstals simply because I do not want him to get blocked up again. (He blocked twice within two weeks). He also only drinks bottled water. He eats the Waltham control pH formula.
    (We do give him and the others a lick of ice cream once in awhile )
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

I went through the same thing with Smokey. My vet prescribed put Smokey on the S/D diet and we also tried the C/D diet, but none of those foods worked for Smokey. My vet also gave Methio-Form, it is a chewable tablet that can be put directly into wet food. This helped enormously but unfortunately Smokey ended up with the "operation" and since then I have had NO problems with the crystals.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

I'm sorry to hear that Phoenix has crystals again. Prayers and positive thoughts are on the way for Phoenix. Hopefully you'll be able to control them with a special diet. I think that treats aren't allowed. Please keep us updated.

Sorry to hear the crystals are back. I suppose any non approved food might be an aggravating factor...so, maybe you should ask the vet.

Good luck!

Angie, having never dealt with this problem with Butter, I have no advice. Just hope you can get it all straightened out with diet, so that no surgery will be necessary. But even if it is, I'm sure there are people here who will help you through it!

Hugs to Phoenix and the others!!!

Logan

I'm sorry to hear about Phoenix, I send good vibes that things get better for him soon.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

So sorry to hear about Phoenix. YES, any food other than the prescription diet, including the occasional treat, can harm a cat that is extra suceptible to crystal formation. (I know.Little Kim is one of those individuals).

Neko, I forgot to ask the vet about bottled water. Did your vet recommend bottled water? She told me that most cats prefer Waltham over Hills diet food. So far Phoenix is not eating very much at all. He is going to be a very unhappy camper without his treats. I wonder if a few bites of chicken would be an ok treat. Just like before it was caught in the early stages. When I went to visit Phoenix in the ICU there was a cat with a much worse case of urinary crystals and very bloody urine. Poor baby!

Thanks to BCBlondie for this great signature!

Yes our vet did recommend the bottled water. And so far he hasn't had any problems in 5 years.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Phoenix is beautiful, what kind of cat is he? Maine Coon or Norweigian Forest, my Sundance is Norweigian Forest. Hope he is getting better and comes home real soon. Do crystals mainly affect male cats? ANy kind of preventation?
    Saying prayers for your baby.