Thread: Lab ear infections

Lab ear infections

Both our Black Lab/Mixes have had ear infections of and on for quite some time! Just last week our 10 yr old Lab had rubbed her ear so hard on the carpet that she broke the blood vessels in the ear flap(it felt like a water balloon).
    The vet had to drain the blood and stitch it. He said the constant itching could be due to allergies. What's strange is that when the 7 yr old has an infection, there's an odor. Never once have we noticed an odor w/the 10 yr old - just itching & shaking the ear.They've both been on Eukanuba Reduced Fat for about a year - when the constant problems seemed to start - before that they were on Iams.The vet said there could be something in the new food or possibly in the treats as I switched from Iams biscuits to Alpo, Recipe, etc. for variety. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

What protein source is your current food? Lamb, chicken, beef? I'd first try to switch to a different protein source than they're now on, or have been on at any time in the past. Switch over gradually, though.
    My Black Lab is sensitive to lamb, she used to have ear infections constantly! (cost an arm and a leg on antibiotics!) Then I switched her to a chicken and rice dry kibble, and poof! the ear infections disappeared! Be careful of the treats too, and what kind of protein source they have!
    Good luck!

I think that Lab's are prone to ear infections. I also think that it may be heretitary. I had a lab that had terrible ear infections. We used ear drops and cleaned out her ears once a week and the infections comtinued. Her mother and brothers also had the same problem. The lab I have now does not have the problem, but I have been very careful to keep her ears clean and watch for infections. She did get a problem in one ear, I put drops in the ear and it cleared right up. We also have noticed that if a lab spends alot of time in the water that seems to make their ears worse. Labs look to swim so after a swim clean out their ears really good. I really don't know what the connection would be with the food that they eat having to do with ear infections. It doesn't make sense to me.
    Go to your vet and get some ear drops and cleaning solution for the ears and have it on hand and use it. That is the only thing I know of that will help. Good Luck Julie

Julie,
    Dog allergies generally manifest themselves as ear infections, itchiness, and as I have recently found out, vaginitis can be a symptom of allergies too. My Lab's food allergy manifested itself as a constant ear infection. I switched her food from Lamb and Rice to Chicken and Rice and her ear infections disappeared.
    My Lab had, up to that time, never been swimming so that could not have been it.

Hi, I just read about the labs infections and am so relieved that we are not alone. Chesapeake moved in about a year ago in horribly neglected shape. his allergies are overwhelming! He takes fish oils and antihistamine and even with the vet, there is little relief. He is constantly flapping his ears and rubbing his body against the carpet.
    Any suggestions? You seemed to have a good understanding of the problem. And yes, weve changed from all natural chicken to lamb.
    Now he is starting ti SMELL. Im open to ideas if you have some. Thanks, Merrill

Originally posted by dogncatluvr:
    Julie,
    Dog allergies generally manifest themselves as ear infections, itchiness, and as I have recently found out, vaginitis can be a symptom of allergies too. My Lab's food allergy manifested itself as a constant ear infection. I switched her food from Lamb and Rice to Chicken and Rice and her ear infections disappeared.
    My Lab had, up to that time, never been swimming so that could not have been it.

Hi Merrill! I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but when the vet said to change Samantha's food due to a possible allergy - I went to Agway and compared the Eukanuba Reduced Fat to the regular Iams chunks. We had switched about a yr ago to the reduced fat(since Belle Ann is a chub)from the Iams. The difference in the two is primarily fish & flax(in the reduced,not in the Iams). So we're switching back to Iams to see if that may be it. Possibly it's the fish oil that's bothering your lab.Just an idea. Good luck! Casmeow
    Originally posted by Merrill:
    Hi, I just read about the labs infections and am so relieved that we are not alone. Chesapeake moved in about a year ago in horribly neglected shape. his allergies are overwhelming! He takes fish oils and antihistamine and even with the vet, there is little relief. He is constantly flapping his ears and rubbing his body against the carpet.
    Any suggestions? You seemed to have a good understanding of the problem. And yes, weve changed from all natural chicken to lamb.
    Now he is starting ti SMELL. Im open to ideas if you have some. Thanks, Merrill

Merrill,
    Chesapeake could be allergic to something in his new diet also. By a process of elimination you'd have to find out what it is. Another Lab that I know was recently found to be sensitive to preservatives in foods- she had bad diarrhea. She is now on a dry kibble with all natural preservatives and is doing much better.
    Is Chesapeake a Lab or a Chesapeake Bay Retriever? If he is the latter, they have an oily coat and that could be causing his odor.