Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why oh Why...outside the box?

Why oh Why...outside the box?

I just can't understand why, after all these years, 13!!!, my big ole orange tabby cat insists on pooping outside the box...he urinates in the box, but poops right outside the box. I always clean the area and use Miracle Aid to spray after, but, almost every day now, same thing. He will do this even when the box is totally clean (I clean out 1st and last thing every day, and in between if I see anything). I know he's getting old, and tired, and a bit arthritic, but if he pees inside the box, why is choosing not to poop there? If I could only talk to the animals....any ideas out there? Thanks. Pattycat

Is it possible that he is actually standing in the box when he poops but his butt is over the side allowing it to fall on the floor?

Jen's right...my foster did the same thing. Turns out the litterbox the shelter gave me was too small for her. So I got her a covered one and solved the problem.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I sympathize as my senior Lily (gray) will also poop outside the box yet always pee inside . . . I think it is due to constipation coupled with her impatience. Sometimes she will leave a little poopy in box, and then I will find a bigger one out on the carpet somewhere . . . this happens maybe once a week. I mix Lactalose (from vet) into her wet food at each feeding to help things move easier for her, but it is not completely resolving the problem. I'm just thankful my old gal does not have the runs on my carpet!
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

No, it's not logistically possible for him to be in the box and missing...he's definetly outside the box. Also...not constipated. I tried having a serious conversation with him this morning, but, he didn't want to discuss it....oh well, I still love him. He probably has some reason for it. Now if he starts wandering too far from the litterbox, I might love him a little less...LOL.

One possiblity could be that he had experienced discomfort defacating inside his box at some point, not necessarily caused by constipation. So he now associates the box with causing him pain when he has to go number two, so to avoid re-experiencing that he chooses to eliminate outside. Often times this is the case when cats have a painful urinary tract infection . . . they begin to pee inappropriately.
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

It is true that it could be medical. pain associated with a bowel movement may make him resist going into the box.
    You may want to try a second box. Just because he used the same box for all these years, doesn't mean that his preferences didn't changed (and some cats don't like to pee and poop in the same box).
    Also, could the level of the litter be too low. I have one cat who only poops outside the box if he feels the litter level is not deep enough.
    Was he scared while inside the box pooping? and now he fears it happening again?

I already have two litter boxes, but perhaps it is a level of litter thing....I have been keeping it lower for my convenience....it's easier to scoop! I'll try that. I hope it's not a "pain" thing...poor old kitty...but how would I know that? Thanks for all the input.

Hi, I had the same problem with one of my cats, she lived to be 16 years old and she just would not use her box either. I don't know why, maybe it was her age. I done like you, I just cleaned up after her. Her name was Pyewackett, and I loved her very much. Thank you for being so patient with your baby. We love them no matter what they do.

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

I'm knocking on wood here, but I filled the litter boxes with more litter and for 3 days now, Killer's gone in the box! Oh my goodness, if it is as simple as that....wouldn't it be wonderful??? It's wierd, cuz it's not like he likes to "bury" it....he's always left it for the world to admire!! Thanks everyone....

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Originally posted by Pattycat
    It's wierd, cuz it's not like he likes to "bury" it....he's always left it for the world to admire!! Thanks everyone....
    LOL -- My Mishi is the same way; my RB Goldie was the same way too -- both are orangies and both do not like to get their paws dirty. Mishi makes a feeble attempt by pawing at the carpet around the box and every once in a while he misses the box too. I figured it out that I just hadn't been as diligent in scooping as he likes; no problems now.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Wow...I MUST make Lilycat see this. One or two of her stippy boys poops outside the box!

this may not work with an arthritic cat,but my litter box is one of those rubbermaid storage boxes. it is almost 2 foot tall and 2 foot wide and 3 foot long. i set something beside the box they can use as a step,and they go right in. the reason for me doing this is my babies would sling the litter all over the place.they do bring some out that sticks to there feet,but not like before.

I like the idea of a tall box, but I'd have to have a step on the inside too!! LOL.... It is a great idea for younger cat though!

You know, if the box was big enough, you could fit a step both outside AND inside the box! It would totally work, and keep the litter to a small sized beach.