Thread: WHAT IS THE BET WAY TO WASH RIPPLEY?

WHAT IS THE BET WAY TO WASH RIPPLEY?

RIPPLEY IS THE NEWEST EDITION TO THE SMITH FAMILY.SHE IS A TWO YEAR OLD SHAR PEI . WE GOT HER WEN. HER LAST OWNER /BREEDER TOLD US WITH ALLHER WRINKELS IT WOULD BE BEST IF WE AVOIDED WATER GETTING ON HER, THE PROBEL IS SHE NEEDS A BATH. WE ARE TRYING TO FIND THE SAFEST WAY TO WASH HER. IF YOU KNOW A WAY PLEASE CONTACT ME!:EEK:

------------------
    CRS

I think the best way to wash her would to give her a bath than dry her with a towel than blow dry her with a hand dryer. thats what I do with all three of my dogs

I agree with ownerofthreedogs, if you wash her, make sure you dry her then blow dry her. Be careful what shampoo you use, puppy shampoo is good, we used regular flea shampoo and it burned our dogs eye really bad, we had to take him to the Vet and get some ointment for his eye. Be careful!

I am not sure of the best way but from one Mom of a wrinkly dog to another, I am going to tell you what my vet told us: wrinkly dogs need to be washed in between the wrinkles or they can get infected and even moldy! I know, gross huh? So make sure however you wash your dog, you get in between those wrinkles!

"The Shar-Pei requires minimal maintenance. Brushing with a good bristle brush every other day keeps its unique coat in excellent condition. Bathing may occur occasionally using warm water and a good shampoo recommended by a vet. Contrary to popular belief the Shar-Pei do not need to be bathed every week. This constant bathing will make the skin dry (increase itching) and cause the coat to look dull. By doing this you will wash all of the dog's natural oils away. Only bath the dog if he/ she smells with a vet recommend shampoo for general bathing needs." -Found on AcmePet

If and when you wash your new addition you must rinse, as well as dry all wrinkles! The main problem with this breed is not lack of drying (although that is mega important!) but lack of daily checking of creases. Next to that is the residue left in wrinkles by shampoo, then lack of drying.

I have a Pug, and great attention must be paid to his face. I only wash my dogs when needed (normally when the smell) and only with a high-quality shampoo. I was told by my vet not to use Hartz, Sergeants, or any brand like that because they were sometimes harsh and would dry out a dogs skin. With my pug, I wash under his wrinkles, rinse, then dry with a soft, dry towel, I check under his wrinkles everyday (this is normally a part of our "cuddle time") and about 3-4 times a week I use a warm towel to clean under and about.

[This message has been edited by Genia (edited March 07, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Genia (edited March 07, 2001).]