Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: great danes!!!

great danes!!!

omg I love the breed!!!

I never used to till today when I got to see and play with a puppy !! this guy I like just got a 11 week old dane pup she is blue and she is sooo cute!! her eyes and bright green!! omg I love her. I wish I had a digital camera then I could have tooken alot of pics .. ..

I want a dane now soo badly, that pup was sooo perfect for my lifsytly, and everything..!!!! dont shed much, dont need much excersize, can live in small house, AHHH I love them!!!

I have a great breeder right by me to !! they charge 500-1000 per pup depending on coat type!!! I would want a merle. they are one of the cheepest because theya re not show cwality !! omg I love the breed!!

any info on them would be great or any recomended sites would be awsome!!

thanks so much !!
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

ooh, yes, they´re very cute dogs

Once I had great dane - "tiger colored"

She was very nice Great

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

My favorite colors are brindle, mantel, and merle.

I am definately getting a dane as soon as I move out.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

can somebody tell how say in english great dane colors?

please say hmmmm, like brindle - and what color dogs are they, with special marking?

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

Yep, I wasn't so sure about getting a dane until Brian brought Dakota home! Now, I LOVE THEM! I'm so happy he just brought her home so I've gotten to experience how wonderful and delightful of a breed they are to have around! I have a feeling we'll have a dane in the house for most of the rest of our lives, I'm addicted to them now!

Dotti

My friend at work has a beautiful 9month old Harlequin Dane girl. She's huge! Dotti is addicted to scrunchie's and loves to lick glasses. She's petrified of my friends Horses though, lol. She's very (very) hyper. I don't think I've ever seen her sit still, lol.

GREAT DANE COLORS

Originally posted by EssTer
    can somebody tell how say in english great dane colors?

please say hmmmm, like brindle - and what color dogs are they, with special marking?
    Brindle:

Black:

Blue:

Fawn(left) & Black Mantle(right):

Harlequin:

(Blue) Merle:

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

My friends parents breed danes and it is SOOOO rare to EVER get a perfect brindle coloration, they are usually all blotchy and not very nice. I love the merles.

I love great danes, they are gorgeous.

What I don't like is the short lifespan. Only about 8 years.
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    I love great danes, they are gorgeous.

What I don't like is the short lifespan. Only about 8 years.
    More than a rat that's for sure. Not all Danes live for such a "short" time, of course.

They are extremely prone to hip dysplasia and bloat of the stomach. If you can do all you can to prevent this from happening, your Dane should live a long heatly life. One VERY important thing about Danes is they cannot be heavily exersised when they are 1 year old and younger- if they are heavily exersized it is just about guarenteed they will get HD.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

Not all Danes live for such a "short" time, of course.
    True, not all of them live to only be eight years old. However, you will never find a Dane living as long a life as a poodle or a sheltie. My friend had a Dane that live to be almost eleven, and that was very, very, very old for a Dane. Her vet and breeder were amazed. Whereas almost eleven is not old at all for a small dog, which can easily live to be in their late teens or even early twenties with proper care.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Re: great danes!!!

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    I want a dane now soo badly, that pup was sooo perfect for my lifsytly, and everything..!!!! dont shed much, dont need much excersize, can live in small house, AHHH I love them!!!

I have a great breeder right by me to !! they charge 500-1000 per pup depending on coat type!!! I would want a merle. they are one of the cheepest because theya re not show cwality !! omg I love the breed!!

You would be surprised at how much a great dane can shed actually. I work at a groomer's and we have a couple that come in for baths. They shed a ton and they are short little sharp hairs that just stick into your clothes. *S*

Also, just a word of advice. It seems strange to me that a breeder would change her prices based on the color of her pups. Sometimes breeders charge a little less for pet quality than show, but I know more and more are charging the same for all pups regardless of pet or show quality. This is because it costs them the same ammount to make each pup (in regards to health testing, show fees, stud fees, whelping costs, vaccinations etc).
    Be careful when choosing a breeder as danes are already prone to so many health problems.

That being said they are great dogs. Here is Midas, my shelties' friend. You should see them rip around the yard together.
    http://www.geocities.com/shelteez_2/Midas2.html

Re: Re: great danes!!!

Originally posted by Shelteez2
    You would be surprised at how much a great dane can shed actually. I work at a groomer's and we have a couple that come in for baths. They shed a ton and they are short little sharp hairs that just stick into your clothes. *S*

Also, just a word of advice. It seems strange to me that a breeder would change her prices based on the color of her pups. Sometimes breeders charge a little less for pet quality than show, but I know more and more are charging the same for all pups regardless of pet or show quality. This is because it costs them the same ammount to make each pup (in regards to health testing, show fees, stud fees, whelping costs, vaccinations etc).
    Be careful when choosing a breeder as danes are already prone to so many health problems.

That being said they are great dogs. Here is Midas, my shelties' friend. You should see them rip around the yard together.
    http://www.geocities.com/shelteez_2/Midas2.html
    well compared to a siberian husky they dont shed that much lol ..

yeah, I had brindle, but my dog had not so much stripes

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    They are extremely prone to hip dysplasia and bloat of the stomach. If you can do all you can to prevent this from happening, your Dane should live a long heatly life. One VERY important thing about Danes is they cannot be heavily exersised when they are 1 year old and younger- if they are heavily exersized it is just about guarenteed they will get HD.
    Also it is so important when feeding a dane, that you don't over feed them as puppies. You don't want their weight to be too much for the growth of their bones....another cause for HD.

And watch how you feed them...aways with a raised bowl and never let them inhale thier food or water.....causes the bloating of the stomach.

Also I'm sure you know, but training is so important with them, you don't want to have a 150lb dog you can't handle. Taking a untrained Dane for a walk, lets say, can end up with him walking you.

I made the training mistake on some things with my Dane, so now getting him in the car is a 2 man job, sometime 3 man. Sometimes it the little things you don't think about that come back to haunt you. What do you do when a 150lb dog wants to set on your couch......you let him. LOL