Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is your Dog on Heart worm prevention?

Genia tell Jeffrey to give the new Basset a warm welcome and lots of kisses!

I phoned the vet & got the name of the once-a-year heartworm treatment. It's called Prohart Injectible (or Proheart...not sure about spelling).

Pam,

If your pup keeps scratching check to see
    if you can see anything on her skin such
    as little bumps, or even dandruf etc.
    If she continues to scratch you might
    want your vet to do a skin scrapping.
    I remember when we brought
    our Norwich pup home
    she was scratching. I noticed
    I was scratching too.
    I took the pup to the vet and he did
    a skin scraping. She
    had some type of mite(mange)that is common
    with pups.

Could be anything such as allergy, dermatitis just a number
    of things. Hopefully your pup is
    no longer scratching by the time I
    post this.

We have made an appointment to have both our Schnauzers tested for heartworm a week from Wednesday.
    Have decided to stick with the Intercepter and Advantage. By the way we are retired military, if anyone out there is military or retired military, there are Army Vets who will take in animals at their clinics at various Navy, Army etc bases. We have two here in San Diego.

[This message has been edited by jackiesdaisy1935 (edited March 05, 2001).]

All of my dogs have ALWAYS been on a heartworm preventative. I have personally known the horror of dogs infected with heartworm. Many of the dogs at our rescue center come to us with heartworm. It is very costly to treat this condition and too many dogs are euthanized because of this condition. If they are not immediately euthanized and survive the condition, they are often deemed unadoptable. Just not enough money in the system to treat them. And few people wish to adopt a dog that comes with a very costly vet bill. While treatable if caught early enough, the treatment is very expensive, extensive and uncomfortable and the accompanying symptoms very debilitating. The damage this condition does is indescribable and potentially fatal. A beautiful golden puppy named Honey, who was rescued from a puppy mill and brought to our kennel to be held until ASPCA could find room for her in the system, was a victim of heartworm. She was thin and constantly sick with vomiting and diarrhea. As a puppy, she was failing to thrive. Finally she was tested positive for heartworm and sent to Angel Memorial in Boston for intensive treatment, where her prognosis was deemed grave. She had extensive organ damage. I would strongly support your decision to have them treated. We used to use Interceptor, but now use Heartguard. It is given 12 months a year, instead of only 6 months as with Interceptor. No stopping and re-starting in the spring. Just once a month, every month, as a treat which they love. With the Heartguard, as opposed to the Interceptor, it is not necessary to have blood work done every year. We have a few acres of woods on our property as well as nearby sand dunes filled with dune grass that the dogs love to run and play in. If they were not treated with Frontline, they would become infested with fleas and more importantly, ticks. The Frontline treats both, though my vet says that it is most effective against ticks. Last year the flea season was so bad and long that my vet suggested I skip one month of Frontline, and substitute with Advantage for one month only which is much more and effective against fleas. Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by tatsxxx11 (edited March 09, 2001).]

There are 2 dogs that are regulars to the dog park where I take my furkids who have had heartworm and the recovery is grusome! I prefer to try to stay as natural as I can for both me and my dogs but heartworm is not something I am willing to take chances with. I give Graham Interceptor, and will start Cassie on it this spring as well.

I give them all sorts of stuff to boost their ammune system, and in the summer months I put, among other supplements, brewers yeast in their food and it works WONDERS on flea control. It does truly make dogs' blood "taste bad" and they never get so much as a flea bite. One day last fall I noticed 2 fleas on Graham after we returned from a long day in the dog park. In the 6 or so years I have had Graham, he has never had fleas, so I decided to "test" and see if the brewers yeast actually does work. That was the last of those fleas. They never multiplied. I checked him many times a day and they must have jumped off in search for a more "tasty host". I use brewers yeast when I can, but I do put "FrontLine" on him before we go on our yearly camping trip simply because I am absolutely disgusted by ticks and that stuff is supposed to prevent fleas AND ticks.

[This message has been edited by AdoreMyDogs (edited March 11, 2001).]

KYS, the mite your pup and you had was the sarcoptic mange mite. The same mite, when transmitted to humans causes a condition known as scabies. As you know, it is a terribly irritating condition to have and needs treatment!

If any pup is scratching excessively then you should really get to the vet for a diagnosis - there are dozens of reasons why the pup MAY be scratching, and almost all of them will require treatment from the vet. Don't worry, though, it is very likely to be a simple and easy treatment!

I saw an episode of Emergency Vets where a dog died of heartworm. It was so sad and it really freaked me out because I was behind a few months in giving HeartGuard to my dog. I will never forget again.

Carrie,

I think it was walking dandruff, but I am not positive. It was approx. 4 years ago, and I no longer remember what the vet called it, my husband might remember.
    I remember the Vet said it was pretty common with very young pups. After 3 days, of having our pup home, not only was she scratching, but My hubby and I started to itch.
    We took her to the vet and he did a skin
    scrapping. Luckly we did not have to treat are other dogs because they
    were on Adams flea and tick mist that contains stuff that kills mites.
    After her treatment that was the end of it.
    (knock on wood)

We did have friends who use to own a dog that had mange that was not curable. Life time medicine/treatments. Their dog died about 5 years ago.

[This message has been edited by KYS (edited March 12, 2001).]

Tide is on Interceptor and Advantage (only in the summer). As I worked at a vet clinic before and saw Heartworm cases, I feel that it is important to protect my own doggie. I do have to be careful though because Tide has Addisons Disease and I prefer to put a limited amount of unnatural products on or in him!

We have Dale on Sentnel and Advantage. Sentnel has flea, tick, heart worm, ring worm, and hook worm preventative in it. It is a once-a-month tablet given at meal time and he doesn't even know that he has eaten it. It is a little bit more expensive ($60.00/6 mo) but it works and it is worth having that extra protection for the fleas.

Hope this helped,

------------------
    Amanda, Damien and Dale
    http://community.webshots.com/user/acmcneely

I recently bought BioSpot- but haven't remembered to put it on her before she goes into her crate.
    I just got this pamlhet in the mail today about Revolution, and I was wondering if anyone uses it?
    I protects your dog from fleas, heartworm, ear mites, sacoptic mites,amd dog tick infestations.
    And it protects your cat against fleas, heartworm,ear mites, and hook and roundworms.
    Its quick drying, waterfast and most important NON GREASY!!!
    You have to get it from your vet tho.
    If anyone is using this, I would like to hear your responses or thoughts.

My dog, Sadie, takes Heartgard chewable pillon the first Friday of every month. She has been using since she was a pup. We have had only one case of fleas with her. Sadie had fleas between the age of 1 year. I suggest you get Heartgard for your two cool Schnauzers!! (Oh, yeah Sadie uses advantage for fleas!!)

We've used Heartgard for as long as we've had Carl. But with 3 dogs that started to get really expensive. Both our dog class instructor and my best friend just use this stuff called Ivermectin (sp?). It's cow worming medicine, but it's the same stuff that's in the Heartgard pills. Neither of them have ever had any problem with Heartworm - and they have lots of dogs. So, we started using this last week. You give this stuff to them monthly. My dog instructor said this is what they used before they had heartworm pills.

Going to training classes 4 nights a week we thought it would be well worth it to put them on Flea Prevention pills. We use Program, because this is what our vet recommended.

[This message has been edited by Rottie (edited May 12, 2001).]

My 3 dogs are on Sentinel. One of them doesn't seem to take to Sentinel so I will give her Heartgard instead because they used to take Heartgard when they were in Hong Kong.