Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is your Dog on Heart worm prevention?

Is your Dog on Heart worm prevention?

I have been thinking whether we should start heart worm prevention for our two Schnauzers. I have heard pro and con about this program. How many of you have your Dog on this?
    Also what flea prevention do you use? We use Advantage and it seems to work well,
    our Vet recommended this product.
    Jackie

Jackies Daisy....I have always had my dogs in the past on heartworm medicine. I used Filaribits (one a day.....chewable). I know now you can also give a longer lasting one, but I just dropped it into their food bowls each morning and they seemed to like it so it was a routine with me to do the daily thing.

We had Bella at the vet's last night and he gave her a clean bill of health. While there, I asked him about heartworm preventative. She is too young to start yet but I will put her on it. What did you hear that was negative? I am interested in knowing because now that I am a "new mommy" I want to be careful.

About fleas.....fortunately I haven't had to deal with that, cause the cats are inside cats. I know that Bella will probably bring them in and then I will have a problem. I am open to suggestions from everyone on that too!

We have been using heart worm preventative for our dogs for a long time now. We use a once a month tablet called Interceptor which in addition to preventing heartworm disease, it is supposed to control aldult hookworm infection and remove and control adult roundworms and whipworms. We have to have the dogs tested each spring and then start on the tablets in April. The usage is determined by mosquito season in our section of the country. I think in other parts of the country, the tablets are given year round. If you have mosquitos in your area, I would say it is a good idea to use this.
    I could have gotten the tablets cheaper from the Drs. Foster and Smith catalog but you have to have your vet fax them a prescription.

Our dogs have always gotten their heartworm prevention stuff - now Dad uses the yummy chewable kind, which is SO much easier than trying to disguise pills. We never had any negative effects, and the peace of mind is worth the trouble.

I give Shai her's every month. She gets Heartguard. I use Advantage in the summer months, I wanted to try BioSpot, but haven't yet. I don't like the way the Advantage oil runs all over her coat. I usually put it on her before she goes in her crate, so she doesn't get it everywhere.
    I have to be careful with the flea med I give her b/c greyhounds are sensitive to certain things, due to their lack of body fat. Tho I am sure Shai has more than the average greyhound

[This message has been edited by shais_mom (edited March 03, 2001).]

Jackie ~ Talk to your Vet, but I'd think he would be strongly suggesting that you test for and then start using a heartworm preventative. Here in Ohio our Vets have been prescribing the preventatives for more than 20 years, yet they still have to treat cases of heartworm. This indicates that although there is a need to give the medications, not all pet owners heed the advice . I used to follow the old suggestion to only give the meds for 8 or 9 months, thinking the skeetos "went away" when it got cold. Changed my mind a few winters ago when I kept having to swat the odd mosquito inside the house and garage in the middle of winter. And last week I found two of the varments living right here at the computer . So now both Cinder and new dog Smokey are on preventative 12 months of the year. Most vets suggest one of the monthly meds because there is a much wider window of safety to protect the dog if a dose is accidently forgotten or delayed by a few days. With the daily medication, protection is lost if a pill is forgotten.

Fleas? We don't talk about them guys! I've used flea collars for years and tell myself (and the dogs) that "we don't have a problem". Dr Mike says we're either real lucky or don't know a flea bite from a mosquito bite . In other words he doesn't think collars work all that well and suggests one of the topical flea and tick medications. We'll probably start the spring off with a collar for the Kids and see if anyone starts scratching . ... /s/ the Kids' Dad

------------------
    /s/ Cinder & Smokey
    the Rescued & Adopted
    FurKids of *Phred*

jackiesdaisy1935,
    I would trust your vet and ask
    him or her, if your area in Calif. has a Heartworm problem. Also depends if you travel outside of your area with your pets.
    Heartworm can be life threatening.
    I do not like to medicate my pets unless necessary. I do not live in
    a Heartworm area, but I travel with my dogs and put them on a Heart Guard Plus 4-5 months out of the year. They are also tested yearly for Heartworm.
    There is a fairly new product called Revolution you can get through
    vets. It not only treats Heartworm, but fleas and ticks as well etc.
    I am waiting a couple more years
    for more data to come out on this
    product.

Fleas: My vet likes Advantage and Frontline.
    I use Frontline for my dogs.
    The bio-spot broke off parts of my
    female Akita's fur.

I have heard more rumblings lately than ever before about the problems associated with heart worm preventatives. I believe that most of the controversy is stemming from the more holistic approach some folks are taking with veterinary medicine.
    My dogs are on Heartguard, once per month. They get the other required shots annually, including the rabies vaccine. I just feel like if I am going to trust my veterinarian, which I do, I must do what he instructs me to. And he says, monthly heartworm medication, year round. I'm sure it does depend on the mosquito population in your area. The South typically has a higher probability of a heartworm problem than maybe other cooler, dryer areas of the country.

I would suggest talking with the veterinarian you trust and following his/her advice closely.

Forgot to answer your question about flea prevention. I use Advantage during the warm months only. I have tried Frontline, but did not find it to be as effective on the fleas. And we don't have a tick problem. I also use Advantage on my cats in the summer. It can be quite expensive for four animals, especially two big dogs. You will find in reading that the holistic believers also discourage the use of this product. I'm sure there are alternatives for heartworm prevention and flea/tick prevention, but I have not taken the time to fully research it.

Sometimes, I think I take better care of my pets than I do myself!

[This message has been edited by Logan (edited March 03, 2001).]

Thank you all for the great advice, it really helps a lot. I believe we will take our dogs in and get them heartworm tested and then start on a monthly tablet called
    "Interceptor". We did get these tablets and only used them when we came back from the mountains. However living so close to the Mexican border and their dogs are not that closely checked, plus with all the rain we have had there will most likely be areas of stagnet water, I don't want to take any chances with Daisy and Perry. We do use Advantage in the summer for flea control and to tell you the truth we had never had a flea problem before we took them to get groomed and they came back loaded with fleas. So now my husband self taught himself how to do a Schnauzer cut and he does them
    himself. Like Shais_Mom I don't like the oiliness of Advantage, but that is what we use.
    Thanks again
    Jackie

I've recently read a brochure about a new 'once-a-year' heartworm prevention treatment. I'll go look it up again & let you know what it is. I had intended to ask my vet about it & its suitability for our dogs.

Angels3, I would really be interested in that new medication. Thanks for looking it up.
    Jackie

This turned out to be a timely topic. I just took Bella for her first visit to the vet Friday night. There were about 4 other dogs in the waiting room and now she seems to be scratching as if she has a flea or fleas. UGH. I know she is too young for any flea medicine now. Anyone know what you do for an 8 week old pup who is scratching. I can't see any fleas but something is making her itch and it just started today.

Daisy is on Heartguard Plus heartworm medicine once a month, and also monthly Advantage for flea and tick prevention. We have never had any problems with either. Daisy loves the chewable Heartguards, and the Advantage stuff doesn't bother her; you just pour some on down her back. It does look oily but that goes away.

Jeffrey and Bandit are on Frontline and Heartguard. They love chewable Heartguard, it's like a treat to them. I live in mosquito heaven, about 300 yards from the bay. Fleas are also a BIG problem , my neighbors house was infested last year. I have yet to have a problem.

Daisy'sMom, new neighbor! The most adorable Basset Hound just moved in a couple of streets over. I have to take Jeffrey over to meet her!

Originally posted by jackiesdaisy1935:
    Angels3, I would really be interested in that new medication. Thanks for looking it up.
    Jackie
    Jackiesdaisy, it was advertised in a dog magazine here & described but the name of the product was not given. Prescription drugs (vet & human) are not allowed to be advertised by name in non-professional publications here in Australia. So the advertisement tells all about the product & then says 'Ask your vet for details' The company name 'Fort Dodge' is given but the name of the product is not. Here's the description given in the ad:
    Once-a-year heartworm preventative
    . Single injected dose gives 12 months protection
    . Administered by your vet
    . Suitable for use from 6 months of age
    . No more monthly or daily doses
    . Conveniently given with annual vaccination
    I'll phone our vet & ask for the name of the product & then post for you what I find out

[This message has been edited by Angels3 (edited March 04, 2001).]