Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LD is Heartworm Positive

LD is Heartworm Positive

LD got neutered and microchipped yesterday. When I picked him up in the afternoon they told me he was heartworm positive. I have never had a dog with this problem. They told me to wait a week to begin treatment so he could recover from his surgery. The treatment is an injection in his back and then another injection 24 hours later. He has to stay at the vet from next Wednesday morning to Thursday afternoon. Then a recheck in a week. The vet said his blood work was excellent and his heart and lungs sounded good so they felt he would be OK. She said they had never lost a dog there yet.

I am still worried though. He's such a happy little guy, I hate to see him going through all this.

Can anyone let me know what to expect? I know I have to keep him quiet but that really shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for any insight you can provide me with so when it happens I won't be like - WHAT IS HAPPENING?

Pepper, I am so sorry that you have to deal with this on top of everything else you've been dealt this year. I have never experienced heartworm treatment so I can't tell you anythying about it. I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and praying for LD.
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

Oh Pepper! I am so sorry to hear this terrible news. All I know about the treatment is that it is 2 shots like you said one following the other after 24 hours. Quanzhan is going through HW treatment with Zack. Maybe she can offer more advice.

Just know that you and LD will be in my thoughts. I hope it goes well. Treating this is the best thing you can do for LD now. Be strong!

Pepper - I'm so sorry LD has to go through this. I'm sure he will recover because the treatment is very effective. Many of the pups that come to Yankee Golden Retriver Rescue have heartworm and they are treated very successfully before they are ready for adoption.
    The best thing against heartworm is prevention. Ask your vet about Heartgard or any other medication he can recommend. The disease is transmitted by mosquitos and since the weather has been so warm until now, it's possible that there are still mosquitos around where you live.
    We'll keep LD in our thoughts, and we send him many good wishes for a quick recovery.

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

Believe me, it is very hard on our furbabies. It is very painful procedure, especially LD just had some other things done. Poor baby.
    I am so sorry LD has to go through this. I wish nobody has to experience this.
    My Zack is half way through, he is going to have his treatment partII tomorrow ( I am very nervours about it). the reactions to the treatment are different, they all look very miserable after the treatment - they move very slowly, sometimes they trembling. my Zack had very bad appetite for 4 to 5 days - but I hand fed him Can food and home made chicken pasta. He could not walk to upstairs, so I slept on the floor for almost the whole month to make sure he is OK(Zack had terrible nose bleeds 2 weeks after the treatment - but it was not related to the treatment). But i think he actually feel much better after a week or so.
    I am not really sure you should start next week, since he just be neutored(sp??)
    But good luck with the treatment, I am really sorry for you and LD, I wish you dont have to go through this - but please keep me updated if you decide to go ahead (since he is so healthy). Oh,another thing, keep the room temperature cool and keep LD very quiet.
    Here are some link, I really think it will help you to know what to expect. http://www.placervillevet.com/canine...ine%20symptoms http://www.vetinfo.com/dhwtreat.html...nd%20treatment http://www.golden-retriever.com/heartwrm.html

best wish and big hugs from us
    Quanzhan + Zack

So sorry Diane!! Oh, poor pup. Albea and Quanzhan have given you great info. and links. I am not too familiar with the treatment procedure myself. Gratefully, the vet sounds very positive. We will all being thinking of you and LD and sending prayers till his course of treatment is completed.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

So sorry about LD! I've heard that you have to keep him real quiet during the treatment. That will probably be very difficult. Do you have a kennel for him? Good luck and you'll be in my prayers!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Our thoughts will be with both you and LD - I bet the treatment will work fine, because he's a happy pup living in a loving home, and we all know that having a positive attitude really helps the medicine work! Give him a tummy skritch for me!
    I've Been Frosted

Very sorry to hear about LD,
    We'll be thinking of him for
    a safe and quick recovery.
    Keep us posted when
    his treatment starts.

----<---<--<{(@

So sorry about LD will say a prayer for him tonight.

oh dear, how much heartache can one person take? You poor dear.
    I have no advice but you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

So sorry to hear about LD, he is such a happy puppy and with all the love he gets, I think he will be fine. Positive thoughts will be coming your way.
    Jackie

Pepper,
    Hi, just wondering how LD is doing ?
    I've heard from others that the treatment
    LD will go through can be pretty rough for
    the dog.You & LD are in my thoughts and
    prayers....
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I picked LD up yesterday afternoon and he was crying a little when I got into the room but by the time I got him home he was fine. He seems to be laying around a little bit more than usual but that's the way he's supposed to be for a while now. We check for heartworms on 12/19 and if they're gone start him on heartworm medication.

Pepper, this has been a roller coaster ride as I have just now read the posts about you finding LD and trying to decide what to do with him and then the heartworm problem. Seems like all that matters to LD is that he can be with you. Now that he is home he will just handle the rest. What a brave boy he is and what a bond you two are going to have after being through this together. I think Bourbon picked this guy out special for you.