Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Lost My Best Friend :(

I Lost My Best Friend :(

My beautiful princess Peanut left me last night after battling a long case of heart failure. Peanut went to the vet on Tuesday, where she was given an injection of Tribrissen (sp.) and placed into an oxygen bag to help her breathe better. While we were sitting in the waiting room, the vet came out, and he didn't have that nice of a look on his face. He picked up a chair and placed it in front of me and in a concerned tone he said "Peanut is not doing so well, she may go anytime now. When she is on the oxygen her color is real good, but when we take her off of it she immediately turns blue and gasps for air." I started crying. Then he asked us what we wanted to do, he suggested putting her to sleep, but I can't stand the thought of her being taken into a weird cold room away from her mama and stuck in the heart with a huge needle. I just couldn't bear the thought of my princess going through that. My Mom suggested we take her home, and let her settle down a bit- maybe the vet trip was stressing her out. So, we took her home. Once she got home, she settled down a little bit, and her color came back a little bit, but her breathing was sit fairly labored. I have her some of the medicine the vet gave us, which helped her out a little bit. Wednesday morning and afternoon, she was still the same, she had some cooked noodles for a treat. I went to bed early that night, around 9:30. I was woken up by my mom at 11:30, and she told me Peanut died. She was holding Peanut in her arms, and I looked at her and tried not to cry, but I cried. I then placed her next to me and laid there with her one last time. While I petted my warm but dead friend I realized this was the last time I would feel her coarse scruffy fur or get to smell her "sweet" smell. I do not want to talk about it anymore...the water works make it hard to type.

Peanut came into this world on August 24,2001. She had many brothers and sisters. From the minute she got her fur, I knew I wanted to keep her. She was the only baby who wasn't a Russian blue, she was a lilac. She was different from all of her siblings, and that is what I loved. Peanut was a very curious, noisy, explorative rattie- she would have made a good partner for Louis & Clark. As she got older she became a major mama's girl, and she knew she could get her way- and she used it as an advantage. She quickly established her position as "alpha" rattie, and any new rat who I introduced to her soon found out that she was "alpha". Peanut came EVERYWHERE with me- many trips to the cottage, trips to the pet store, trips inside Home Depot- in a purse I converted into a "rattie sneak-in" purse. Even if we made short trips to the gas station, she came with a lot of times. Dudley was terrified of Peanut, he knew she wouldn't take any crap from him, so before she had a chance to attack HIM, he would run away. Nobody messed with the princess! As Princess slowly aged, her fur got more coarse and curly, as well as sparse. She slowed down a lot, and could no longer do her circus acts she did was she was a little squirt. Since she wasn't as active and couldn't do that much, that meant more spoiling to keep the princess happy! Ooohh, she loved that! Up to the day she died, she held the title of "The Most Spoiled Rat in the Midwest".

I loved my baby, more than any other living creature in the world. When she died she took half of me with her. I am glad she is reunited with her mama Skittles, along with Oreo, Punkin, Nugget, and Sweet Pea. It is going to take me a LONG time to get over loosing my baby princess.

Here are some memorable photos of my little dumpling:

Peanut's last trip to the cottage

Baby Peanut:

I miss you baby.

Rest In Peace
    Princess Peanut
    August 24, 2001-September 24, 2003

EDITED TO ADD THIS SONG:

Here is a song that I would like to dedicate to Peanut, obviously not all the lyrics go along with a rat, but it's pretty darn close.

I MISS MY FRIEND by Darryl Worley

I miss the look of surrender in your eyes
    The way your soft brown hair would fall
    I miss the power of your kiss when we made love
    But baby most of all

Chorus:
    I miss my friend
    The one my heart and soul confided in
    The one I felt the safest with
    The one who knew just what to say to make me laugh again
    And let the light back in
    I miss my friend

I miss the colors that you brought into my life
    Your golden smile, those blue-green eyes
    I miss your gentle voice in lonely times like now
    Saying it'll be alright

Chorus

I miss those times
    I even miss the silly fights
    The making up
    The morning talks
    And those late afternoon walks
    I miss my friend
    The one my heart and soul confided in
    The one I felt the safest with

Last edited by Desert Arabian; 09-25-2003 at 10:28 PM.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Oh YLL, I am so sorry for your loss. What a sweet tribute you have written, it made me cry.

Rest in peace, Sweet Rattie, Peanut. Have fun playing at the RB!

So Sorry, YLL. {{{Hugs}}}

Rest In Peace, lil Peanut!

/s/ Phred

I'm sorry to hear of you losing one of your best furry friends. She looked like a delicate girl. Love the pictures. Just think of all the happy memories you have and that will help you get through it.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

YLL, I am SO sorry to hear about precious Peanut. She will always be a part of you. Right here on this page are wonderful memories that you will always have (pictures). {{{HUGS}}} to ou in you time of sorrow.

Oh poor poor Peanut. RIP Sweetie.

*hugs* YLL

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Oh my gosh i am so sorry.... RIP Peanut!!! I am glad you made your owner proud sweetie!!!!

YLL, your tribute to Peanut was so touching that I cried. I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. The loss of a pet is SUCH a difficult thing to bear. I know it will take time for the pain to heal but memories of Peanut will be with you forever. RIP Peanut and I'm so very sorry for your loss.

O I am so sorry ::hugs::

We all know how much you loved Peanut and just looking at those pictures brought tears to my eyes. What a sweetie she was ::hugs::

Rest in Peace sweet Peanut.

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

gosh, It's so hard to deal with it. I know I have. Rest in peace sweetheart. im so sorry for your loss.

My God I'm crying for you YLL. I'm so sorry about your precious Peanut but keep the good memories in your heart. You and Peanut loved each other so much and it's a love that many people without pets don't experience. I'm sending you hugs. RIP sweet Peanut and save a place for YLL.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I'm so sorry about Peanut.

She'll be at the Rainbow Bridge now with Skittles, Oreo, Punkin, Nugget, and Sweet Pea and I'm sure they're all having fun. Rest in peace, Peanut.
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful little friend Peanut.

She was a sweet little Princess & very good friend. May she be
    happy at Rainbow Bridge.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Oh Laura!!

I don't know what to say.

***HUGS***

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. RIP sweet Peanut.