Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed..........a setback???

cat accident

Hi-
    I know what you're going through, I see it often here too. May I suggest my opinion here.

I think you can link this problem to one of 2 things, most likely.
    The first one is a FUS. Which is basically a urinary infection in a cat. It's pretty common in cats and needs medical attention. If you can't get to a vet right now, I can tell you how to treat it like it was FUS without having to go in. I know not everyone, my self included, always has a few hundred dollars laying around to spend on vet expensise at the drop of a hat. So it could be an infection.

The second would be behavoral. Some cats, when they are mad or stressed (like a cat who has too many other cats in the house, and they feel crowded, or a cat with kids who are tormenting it) will go and pee to get it's owners attention. I have a boy here, I'm still decideding what to do with. He pees on stuff because he doesn't like the other 3 cats in the house. He's stressed, even thought the other cats are very nice and never harm him. He just likes to keep to himself and stays in pretty much one room. I know this is his problem, as he was previously in a one cat household and never had a problem there. I took him to the vet 3 times to be tested for a urinary infection, and it was nothing. This tells me that it's the other cats.

Good luck! If I can help in any other way, email me and I'll do what I can

Oh that's terrible Jen!

I am sad to hear that Sterling is still having troubles. I hope that the vet can sort something out to make it go away. I am having a little headache introducing and managing the problems that having two babies can cause - I can't imagine what you go through having 14 plus the fosters. I can guess that sometimes these type of things will happen - it's not your fault, Jen, sometimes cats get a bee in their bonnet. When Mum first introduced Whisky and Milo to her boyfriend's cats these sorts of things happened but it settled down again. Maybe all it needs is lots of cuddles and even more time.

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.

Jen.....

Just a suggestion....

Kim mentioned she had this problem until she opened up the garage and cat run to her cats,that seemed to stop the problem.

Is there any chance of using an outroom or outside cat run to give them a little more space !!! Might be too impractical/expensive to consider.

Maybe space isn't the problem but I just hope the situation gets sorted for both your sake and the cats.

Is there any chance of using an outroom or outside cat run to give them a little more space
    Unfortunately, Not likely.

But interestingly enough, I read where it can actually be TOO much space that causes the problem. (here in lies the reason for confining to a smaller space). Since the cat has SO much territory to "protect" it needs to spray the areas it feels that it cannot patrol properly. Don't get me wrong, too little space with too many cats would be bad also.

Last evening Sterling sprayed again. This time I had allowed him out of his single room into the room with me and the fosters (I did this during their original confinement, under supervision). So I feel that it most definitely IS the foster kittens that is bugging him the most. Hopefully when I let him back downstairs again (and the fosters are upstairs) things will go back to the dry period.

But if the truth be know, I am seriously thinking of rehoming him. (much to my dismay). But I truly don't see where he has a good chance at being wanted by anyone else. After all, it is not like I can guarrentee that he will not keep spraying.

A careful rehoming!

Jen, where there is will, there is a way.

Sometimes, and I have seen it, cats do not continue with their bad behavior when put in a new environment.

It sounds to me (and I am NOT - IN NO WAY - EVER an expert, but it sounds to me as though Sterling would make a wonderful only pet in a house that has not been sprayed before.

Have you considered a cat behaviorist? They often work with people who's cats are misbehaving, elimination-wise! Give it a try?

My heart goes out to you!

What about pampers?

Jen..

What about waiting until the fosters have been homed, maybe absence of stranger cats might cure him.

SAS idea of a cat behaviourist is a great idea.

I agree that I can't see Sterling having this problem in another home but I still hope that you might not have to rehome him.

What about waiting until the fosters have been homed, maybe absence of stranger cats might cure him
    But I still have Bonnie and she is another possible cause for his dismay. (as she WAS the first foster.......and SHE is a strange cat to Sterling..............and the fosters were not even downstairs when Sterling sprayed on Thursday)

LOOK AT THIS:

Could YOU say good bye to him???
    I have been staring at this picture for a good 20 minutes, and I do not know if I can do it. I LOVE him!

Jen, I am so sorry about the continuing problem with Sterling. I am also sorry that I don`t have any advice/solutions to offer either. I just wanted to let you know that although I haven`t posted much you & the problems have been in my thoughts and prayers. Will be keeping you there and doubling those requests to the Big Guy.

lots of Hugs
    Chris

What a handsome guy....

Well, Jen, maybe you should be looking for a new home for Bonnie and the fosters. By the way, fostering is a wonderful thing in my humble opinion, but it can lead to some issues at home...... Cats can sense a new cat.....even from the smell on your clothes etc. not just that they are "upstairs".... CATS CATS CATS...

Sterling is a handsome dude and I too would have a hard time rehoming him.

What about putting him on a leash in the house and then letting him know that it is a no-no when he decides to stray?

I really think a cat behaviorist is the answer. My good vet gave me the name of the person I was going to use with the Ti and Miley situation. I think she charged $75 for the visit. The form I was to fill out was all about inappropriate elimation issues...and then a tiny bit on aggression. Anyway, maybe a few phone calls to different vets will land you with a number to call. My guess is that the U of Pa Vet clinic/school should know someone within the general area. They usually come out to the house, and Allentown isn't that far from Phila area.

Good luck deary.

I cannot stand the smell of cat urine and know that you must be going through hell removing the smell. By the way, many years ago I had a foster cat that sprayed (female!!) and the only scent that would cover the cat urine smell what Ralph Loren Polo - men's cologne. Hehehehehehehe! Really.

Originally posted by jenluckenbach
    But I still have Bonnie and she is another possible cause for his dismay. (as she WAS the first foster.......and SHE is a strange cat to Sterling..............and the fosters were not even downstairs when Sterling sprayed on Thursday)
    Yes I agree Bonnie could be part of the problem but she might not be. You could rehome several beloved cats and still not pin point the cause.

After all Sterling will know the foster cats are upstairs on his property and that is upsetting to him. Maybe as he couldn't spay upstairs so he tried his best to mark downstairs ? My guess anyway.

I suggested waiting until the fosters have gone and temporily refusing any more to see if this help Sterling. As this will also be the least upsetting for you, after all you expect the fosters to be rehomed.

I reckon he'll get used to Bonnie but the strange cats on the 2nd & 3rd floor is too much for him. As scent is the factor for cats, the smell of the strange cats on you, might be enough to set him off. He knows they are up there if he sees them or not.

Cat are very aware of scent, my cats spit at the handbag, I took to a friends house and her cats marked it by rubbing cheeks across it. Cats !!!
    Last edited by PayItForward; 09-27-2003 at 06:47 AM.

Bump

maybe you should be looking for a new home for Bonnie
    Bonnie would be HARD to rehome. We tried and she **FREAKED** out and the people returned her. Finding her a suitable home could take quite a long time.

You could rehome several beloved cats and still not pin point the cause.
    This is one of my fears, because once they are gone there is no turning back. No saying....."well, that didn't stop my problem, I want him/her back"

Cats can sense a new cat.....even from the smell on your clothes
    But keep in mind that I smell like strange cats (and dogs) EVERY day from work. How could he know the difference?

I am still wishy-washy about what I will do. After all, I still have Jim and his problem might start up again any time now.

I don't know Jen, that would be a tough decision and I don't think I could get rid of any of my cats. That's why we have the cat run, it helped our problem tremendously. I wish you luck on this very emotional and tough decision.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

It seems like this problem is so "popular" right now!! Micah is doing the same thing. And...my boss's dog is going even when she leaves her house for five minutes.

I'll be bringing home a feliway plug in and not leaving ANYTHING that he wants to pee on on the floor (that's what he's been doing...poor David did laundry and found the clothes that didn't make it to the basket were peed on!)

Jen, is there any way Sterling can be separated? I thought you said you had three floors, could maybe she only have access to one? Did the Feliway work at all? Does she do better in a confined space?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...